Aldeer.com

Traditional arrow weight

Posted By: boker

Traditional arrow weight - 09/17/17 10:06 AM

I know the general rule is 10gr per lb. but I see some guys wanting to shoot 12 to 15. what are your thoughts on arrow weight when it come to traditional archery equipment? I have some 500 and 400 heavy hunters but they are close to 650 to 700gr depending on the insert used with 125gr points. I am shooting a 45lb bow, I am currently either shooting gt xt @450grs or Easton xx75 @ 510 grains . I am shooting a 45/47lb bow @ my draw
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/17/17 11:18 AM

usually the problem with carbons is getting enough arrow weight to get to 10gpp. I shoot 570gr arras out of a 52# recurve and a 57# R/D longbow.

But I had to add 100gr brass inserts and 200gr heads t get to 570 gr. FOC is high, unmeasured, and they fly like darts bareshaft.

don't see any need for 15gpp for deer hunting though.

the other prob with carbons is getting the spine correct for yer bow, usually requiring a longer arra with heavier point weight. I'd say a 400 spine is too stiff for any 45/47# recurve.

you can reduce the stiffness by adding length or heavier point weight.I draw 27 1/2" but my arras are 30" long to reduce stiffness, using GT 35/55s.
Posted By: TGbow

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/17/17 11:37 AM

The heavy arrow thing is relatively new. When I started shooting recurves in the 70s,9-10 grains was common. Most recurves sold were 40-55 lbs on the average.
I'm for whatever setup an archer prefers but personally the only time I want to shoot more than 9-10 grains per lb is when I'm shooting a mild reflex deflex longbow like a Howard Hill style bow, they are designed to shoot a heavier arrow.
BhamFred is right, carbons are different than wood or aluminum.
I'm shooting 600s GT traditional shafts cut to 29 1/4 inches with a 50 grain insert and a 125 grain Wasp head.
Shooting a 45lb recurve with low stretch string drawing 28 inches.
I personally dont like to go under 9 grains per lb because of noise/vibration issues.
Posted By: boker

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/17/17 11:55 AM

The heavy hunters are just that, I have them in the 400 and 500 spine they are close in total weight, with the 100gr insert , 125 point , full length 32" they are coming in at 684gr according to my scale, I bought them when I first started shooting trad, I had probably watched a Byron ferguson video lol. U
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/17/17 12:08 PM

I haven't bought any arrows in a while. If you can still get the Carbon Express Heritage,they will be heavy enough without extra weight inserts and they are very tough. That's why I haven't bought any in a while. I've shot field points into trees and wiggled them out without any damage.

FYI
I like them fairly light. Rod Jenkins shoots way lighter than 9gpp, more like 6gpp in ILF bows of low poundage and gets complete pass through.

You need a small diameter shaft, cut on contact sharp head, and a well tuned arrow.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/17/17 08:18 PM

TG, the Hill bow are straight longbow, not R/D longbows.

I've been shooting around 9-10gpp for 50 years, started shooting heavier prolly 10 years ago. You don't need a 570gr arra to kill a deer with a perfect shot but yer a better man than I am if you make, or get, perfect shots all the time. A heavier arra will be quieter and , more importantly, penetrate better than a light arra. Quartering shot? Hit a bone on entry? Big boar hog? All cases for the need for better penetration.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/17/17 08:22 PM

You're right, I should have said mild r/d or a Howard Hill type bow.
Mainly, a longbow without a more radical design.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/17/17 08:42 PM

the Hills do prefer heavier arras.
Posted By: Rip50

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/19/17 11:47 PM

I shoot a gt 33/55 with a 150gn bh out of 45lb Thunderhorn Long bow. Haven't got a clue what they weigh? But they fly good and it's quite.
Posted By: Recurve

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/20/17 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Rip50
I shoot a gt 33/55 with a 150gn bh out of 45lb Thunderhorn Long bow. Haven't got a clue what they weigh? But they fly good and it's quite.

I think that's a 500

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/20/17 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Recurve

I think that's a 500

Yea,but that's .500 deflection right? If so, deflection really doesn't have anything to do with what they weigh.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/20/17 06:04 PM

"usually" the stiffer the shaft the more they weigh in the same shaft type. The GT35/55s are .500 deflection shafts.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/20/17 06:05 PM

I'd bet they show stiff bareshaft...feathers will hide imperfections in shaft tuning.

how long are the shafts??

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/20/17 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
"usually" the stiffer the shaft the more they weigh in the same shaft type. The GT35/55s are .500 deflection shafts.

That's true,though a different brand might be heavier or lighter with the same deflection.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/20/17 08:35 PM

yep

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/20/17 09:24 PM

Depending on which shaft and how long they are you're probably between 9-10 grains.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/20/17 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

I think that's a 500

Yea,but that's .500 deflection right? If so, deflection really doesn't have anything to do with what they weigh.

Yes, deflection. but what I was getting at was those are around 8 - 9 GPI for the GTs. I'm a wood guy though so that may not be 100% accurate

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/21/17 07:35 AM

I think that's a 500

Yes, deflection. but what I was getting at was those are around 8 - 9 GPI for the GTs. I'm a wood guy though so that may not be 100% accurate

I don't remember the weight of the GT but I do remember that Carbon Express Heritage are a good bit heavier.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/21/17 08:26 AM

I think that's a 500

I don't remember the weight of the GT but I do remember that Carbon Express Heritage are a good bit heavier.

I don't either lol. I had some a few years ago for target practice. I have some traditional only carbons now for practice. They are 400 and are about 9 GPI. I think the 500s in that arrow are 8 GPI.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/21/17 11:16 AM

With my GT Traditionals , 29 1/4 inch shaft and 175 grains up front, I think I'm around 9.3 grains per lb.
I dont really worry about it as long as my bow is quiet and they are flying good.
I have some 2016 aluminum, 29 1/2 inches with 125 grain head they fly good. I remember in the 70s we could buy Bear ,TRue Flight, or Ben Pearson wood arrows in the store, or aluminum.
I used both for years. I always favored tapered wood shafts that were of good quality.
My son gave me these GY 600s. I am pleased with them so far.
I dont think you can beat the forgiveness of good wood taperd shafts, but the GT 600s are close.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/21/17 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: TGbow
With my GT Traditionals , 29 1/4 inch shaft and 175 grains up front, I think I'm around 9.3 grains per lb.
I dont really worry about it as long as my bow is quiet and they are flying good.
I have some 2016 aluminum, 29 1/2 inches with 125 grain head they fly good. I remember in the 70s we could buy Bear ,TRue Flight, or Ben Pearson wood arrows in the store, or aluminum.
I used both for years. I always favored tapered wood shafts that were of good quality.
My son gave me these GY 600s. I am pleased with them so far.
I dont think you can beat the forgiveness of good wood taperd shafts, but the GT 600s are close.

You can’t beat a good wood arrow. Heck I don’t even taper mine. I just cut them down and keep them as parallel shafts. I have tapered in the past and just didn’t notice a difference with paradox so I just quit. Have you ever noticed a difference in them

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/21/17 01:08 PM

I have used 5/16 shafts like Ramin wood and Poplar, they work well but Ramin wood is a little more finicky as far as keeping them straight, not bad though.
I think cedar is probably still the best overall but you need good quality like Wapiti or somebody that carries quality shafts.
I like aluminum but they make a sound in flight sorta like a bong sound but there's been a lot of deer killed with aluminum shafts, they are the most consistent shaft to shaft.
They had the old Micro flight fiberglass arrows in the 60s but by the time I got into archery in the mid 70s, I dont recall seeing any around.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/21/17 02:32 PM

I love cedar but, if I’m buying woods I go hands down douglas fir from Surewood. I have never had to straighten an arrow from them and they fly as good as any I’ve shot.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/21/17 02:49 PM

I love cedar but, if I’m buying woods I go hands down douglas fir from Surewood. I have never had to straighten an arrow from them and they fly as good as any I’ve shot.

The last arrows I ordered were Fir. They seem to be more durable than cedar.
Honestly I dont think there is any really good old growth cedar left, maybe some around.
Surewood puts out good shafts,hard to beat their quality.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/21/17 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: TGbow

The last arrows I ordered were Fir. They seem to be more durable than cedar.
Honestly I dont think there is any really good old growth cedar left, maybe some around.
Surewood puts out good shafts,hard to beat their quality.

Yeah that's why I've gone to buying the wood I use. Good cedar is nearly impossible to find without buying it. A buddy of mine uses river cane.

Re: Traditional arrow weight - 09/21/17 05:05 PM

Ya'll can have all the wood arrows and I have some of the best to be found in the country. A buddy hooked me up with some very old Acme shafts. They don't even need straightening and are matched within 2 grains.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM