Aldeer.com

I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations

Posted By: DaBreeze

I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/07/17 12:06 PM

I guess I have to join the sissy hunting club, but shoulder and hand issue have forced me hang up the Hoyt. I have never touched a Xbow and don't know a dang thing about them. I had planned on not even bow hunting this year but as time get closer, I can't stand the thought of missing it. So what kind of advise can yall give me on purchasing a Xbow. I'll only hunt 6 or 8 times and looking for a eco model that will still do the job. Lighweight is important. I'm not looking for the high-end stuff. Probably, no more than $1K for everything.
Posted By: bholmes

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/07/17 02:10 PM

The Parker Thunderhawk is a fine shooting Xbow. You will not regret.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/07/17 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: DaBreeze
I guess I have to join the sissy hunting club

No you ain't; if physically you can do it & you want to hunt during bow season, it is what it is, man... Good luck on find a good X-bow; I'm a big Bear Archery fan & their new X-bow looks nice...

BGD
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/07/17 03:18 PM

man don't sweat it......most of the anti-crossbow stuff you see on here is just people messing with one another for fun. Ain't no shame in it. Just get one that shoots good and go hunting.

As far as advise on finding one, I'd do the same thing I'd do if I was looking for a "regular" bow.....find you a craigslist deal, at least for your first one. You can usually find decent ones on there relatively cheap from people that got one and decided it just "wasn't for them" and want to unload it.
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/07/17 03:29 PM

Bought a Excalibur 355 micro suppressor and love it so far. I felt as you but my shoulder wasnt allowing me to practice with my compound. Nobody has any right to judge anothers way of legal hunting. Unless their shooting fingers and stick or re-curve they "cheat" jus as much. Release is jus as much as a trigger as a xbow has.
Posted By: ColeT

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/07/17 03:34 PM

The mission xbows are sweet
Posted By: Geno

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/07/17 06:00 PM

Most people don't like the Barnett bows because they consider them to be cheap. I've had two now and both shot great. I have the Vengeance reverse limb with an old shotgun scope on it.

The first one shot good but the original pin sight that came with it was awful - it would shoot loose after five or six bolts. I put a red dot on it and never looked back.
Posted By: jbc

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/07/17 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
man don't sweat it......most of the anti-crossbow stuff you see on here is just people messing with one another for fun. Ain't no shame in it. Just get one that shoots good and go hunting.

I've always read it as tongue in cheek as well

Infinitely cooler than shooting one with a rifle any way
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/08/17 07:50 AM

Heck I've been shooting a CB for several years because of health issues (lost most all muscle tissue under my right scapula among other thing) so don't worry with what folks think just enjoy the new CB and kill a biggun
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/08/17 08:00 AM

Great Prices and great guy at Wyvern Creations. He will give you great advice.
Posted By: Haybale

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/09/17 10:48 PM

My dad has a stryker 380 that's extremely nice. It's a lot quieter than any crossbow I've heard.
Posted By: Recurve

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/12/17 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: jbc
Originally Posted By: GomerPyle

I've always read it as tongue in cheek as well

Infinitely cooler than shooting one with a rifle any way

This. Man I used to get picked on in our club for not using a bow I made myself.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/13/17 10:46 AM

The Barnett Jackel is one of the best value xboxs I have ever seen/shot. I own a wicked ridge warrior and very pleased with it. Ten Point warranty is 2nd to none. I also own a reverse limb Horton. Very quiet and I really like the short axle to axle. Doesnt get hung up when trekking in the woods and have plenty of room in a blind. I would really look at the Ravin crossbow too.

Don't get all spun up on speed. Also if your condition will worsen, you may want to look how the xbox is cocked. You may want to have a crank or some type of aid.
Posted By: chris4wde2

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/13/17 11:33 AM

I think you can get a Ten point fully loaded with a scope and everything for around 700$. I like them for the crank cocking system. But as far as economic crossbow,my best friend bought whatever the mid priced one wal mart carries that is solid camo and it's a s package for 400 dollars probably 500 after bolts and broadheads. But his shoots amazing and is really quiet. His uses a cocking rope if I'm not mistaken and is a Barnett I believe
Posted By: TGbow

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/13/17 01:49 PM

For something economical, check out Twig Archery.
Be carries some inexspensive Xbows.
He has some videos on his site.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/13/17 06:10 PM

Just the basic Barnett or Horton will do for short distances out to 30 yards. Spend as much as you can afford. $400 will get you a lot.
Posted By: JeremyA7

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/13/17 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: chris4wde2
I think you can get a Ten point fully loaded with a scope and everything for around 700$. I like them for the crank cocking system. But as far as economic crossbow,my best friend bought whatever the mid priced one wal mart carries that is solid camo and it's a s package for 400 dollars probably 500 after bolts and broadheads. But his shoots amazing and is really quiet. His uses a cocking rope if I'm not mistaken and is a Barnett I believe

Wicked Ridge is made by Ten Point and you can find them around $500. The Parker x-bows are good also.
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/14/17 06:58 AM

my dad is in the same boat this year. he ordered the carbon ten point with the cocking system. hes shooting sub 2" groups at 40 yards. thing is zipping those bolts. I got a feeling he's gonna give em heck this year
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/14/17 07:26 AM

I bought the center point sniper 370 last year. Best xbow for the $ imo
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/14/17 07:56 AM

Get a Barnett. You will get the most bang for your buck. I bought the whitetail hunter last year and really like it but almost want to get the whitetail hunter 2 now. It shoots 10 fps faster and has a triggertech trigger.
Posted By: btfl

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/14/17 12:27 PM

Find you a Mathews dealer and check into the Mission line of crossbows. They are nice.
Posted By: BearVenue

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/14/17 07:47 PM

Wicked Ridge by TenPoint
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 09/24/17 02:13 PM

I highly recommend the Stryker 350 and 390 Solution. I've shot and owned several different crossbows and felt these were as good or better than any. Check out archerytalk and you will get some good advice. Usually the most recommended bows are Scorpyd-Excalibur-Ten Point-Stryker-Mission. Those are not the only companies and I haven't stayed into the latest so maybe someone else has gotten in the game in the last year and a half but those companies make quality stuff with good warranties.

Someone has already mentioned Wyvern Creations and I highly second that. David is very knowledgeable and good to deal with and from my experience the customer service is second to none.
Posted By: Dragfan66

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 10/01/17 04:11 PM

I bought a Wicked Ridge from Bass Pro about 5 years ago, and am very pleased with it. Got to shoot it in their archery range before I left.

i am old and have major shoulder issues too OP.
Posted By: Buckedoutagain3

Re: I hate this but I need Xbow recommendations - 10/08/17 03:07 PM

Parker Enforcer is an awesome weapon!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM