Aldeer.com

4 Fletch Arrows

Posted By: Shaw

4 Fletch Arrows - 07/10/17 06:47 PM

Finally got around to trying it today. Looks like I've got a bunch of hunting arrows to refletch now. My bow was already shooting great and I could tell a difference with the first group I shot.
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/10/17 09:21 PM

How much better are they?
What kind of fletchings are you gonna use?

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/10/17 09:35 PM

Good enough that my hunting arrows will be sportin' 4 fletches. I'm using VaneTec 2" HP's.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/10/17 10:11 PM

Several guys at the archery shop I use shoot 4 fletch and they place at all the tourneys they shoot. I'm prolly gonna try some next year.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/11/17 08:13 AM

I know I have argued this before,but all you are doing is adding stabilization to your arrow in the form of drag. My question would be why do I need the extra stabilization,and can I get it elsewhere without loosing speed in the form of more drag.

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/11/17 10:04 AM

I think a big difference for the guys I know that shoot them is at distance. As fast as bows are now, giving up a little speeds no big deal to some. I personally don't set up for speed, I prefer a little weight. I could go heavier on arrows but stick around 416gr and shoot about 289fps. Works for elk, so I'm happy. I'm not sure what more you can do for better arrow flight other going with 4 fletch if your bows tuned properly.
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/11/17 10:27 AM

I'd much rather have the more accurate shot over the speed. My bow shoots plenty fast. I'd give up a little speed to tighten up the groups.

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/11/17 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: kodiak06
I think a big difference for the guys I know that shoot them is at distance. As fast as bows are now, giving up a little speeds no big deal to some. I personally don't set up for speed, I prefer a little weight. I could go heavier on arrows but stick around 416gr and shoot about 289fps. Works for elk, so I'm happy. I'm not sure what more you can do for better arrow flight other going with 4 fletch if your bows tuned properly.

Yea,I'm not concerned with speed,but the need for more stabilization makes me ask if I'm properly spined.

I tune my recurves and frequently trim arrows in 1/4" increments to get perfect flight. A properly tuned arrow will fly perfectly without any fletching to the same impact point as fletched arrows as long as you don't flub the release.

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/11/17 11:23 AM

The main thing I've noticed is they seem more forgiving, especially with a fixed head.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/11/17 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
The main thing I've noticed is they seem more forgiving, especially with a fixed head.
thats a big deal right there
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/11/17 12:49 PM

Shaw, when you shoot a fixed head, do you align your blades with the fletchings? If so, how much difference do you think it makes?

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/11/17 03:05 PM

It doesn't make a difference.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/11/17 04:04 PM

Thanks

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/11/17 04:22 PM

You guys are using those little 2" vanes anyway. I suspect more stabilization is a good thing. All it does is help hide any imperfections in arrow spine,form,or release. It works the same with 3" to 5" feathers or any change from 3 to 4 with those.

The ultimate example if the stabilization I'm talking about is Flu Flu arrows which you wouldn't want to hunt with, but any weight bow can shoot just about any spined Flu Flu accurately at aerials.

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/11/17 05:43 PM

Funny this subject is on here and my buddy just texted he picked up a dozen arrows. I asked what kind and his reply was 4 fletch...
Posted By: Cheaha

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/17/17 09:26 AM

Do you offset the 4 vanes?

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/17/17 10:53 AM

Yep. Fletched them with a slight offset.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/18/17 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
Yep. Fletched them with a slight offset.

Showing my ignorance, but do you mean offset as far as position of the vane lengthwise on the shaft, or like a helical offset?

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/18/17 05:45 PM

Helical.
Posted By: Cheaha

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/23/17 09:32 AM

Thanks Shaw.
Posted By: sluggun

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/23/17 07:58 PM

I fletched up a dozen Easton SuperDrive 25's for the ASA classic in August. So far I like them. I went with the 1.5" mini blazer vanes. Turns out that four 1.5" vanes is the same weight as three 2" blazer vanes. This is a 45 yard group. I just need to make a slight sight adjustment and I think I'll be good to go.

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/23/17 09:09 PM

Looks like your dialed in!
Posted By: muddybucks

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/24/17 11:13 PM

What fletching jig yall useing?

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/25/17 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: muddybucks
What fletching jig yall useing?

I'm using a cheap Bohning jig that does the two inch blazer vanes. It's the three vane model that I modified to do four vanes. You can buy one that will do three or four vanes.

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/25/17 05:34 AM

I use a Bitzenburger.

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/25/17 03:40 PM

I think I've just about got these four fletch SuperDrive 25's dialed in. Three consecutive 45 yard groups.

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/25/17 08:03 PM

Deer look out Sluggun is dialed in!
Nice groups
Posted By: cartervj

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/25/17 08:50 PM

I shot 4 fletch 4" feathers years ago, fellow in Florence made arrows that way. They were loud when shot, loud as in making a roaring like sound. I missed several deer that year due to deer jumping the string. Finally had a friend hear the noise and had me listen as he shot my arrows.

I would assume shorter plastic vanes wouldn't make as much noise or any at all?

I'm really just kinda curious to be honest.

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/26/17 05:32 AM

Correct. Plastic vanes are not as noisy as feathers.
Posted By: Mww460

Re: 4 Fletch Arrows - 07/26/17 06:16 AM

I've been wanting to try 4 fletched for awhile. Just bought some vanetec swifts in the 1.87 length. Gonna try them and see
© 2024 ALDEER.COM