Aldeer.com

Broadhead Suggestions

Posted By: chris4wde2

Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 03:10 PM

Getting back into bowhunting and buying a new setup but boy things have changed in 13 years since the last time I bowhunted. I will be shooting a Hoyt Klash that at max lbs for my draw length will probably be between 55-58 lbs. Was curious a good broadhead that you guys have had the best success with as long as I do my job and make a good shot the equipment doesn't let me down. I'm a fixed blade fan only because I haven't ever hunted with nothing else but am open to trying the expandable broadheads. I was a fan of the muzzy 4 blades when I hunted years ago. I will leave it at this and see what you guys like and recommend. Thanks
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 04:28 PM

I like Magnus Stingers.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 04:32 PM

I shoot rages. I know people that love em, I know people that hate em. I have shot at 1 deer with them, and it dropped the deer. So I have no reason to switch right now.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 04:47 PM

Slick Trick Magnum.

Posted By: mw2015

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: jono23
I shoot rages. I know people that love em, I know people that hate em. I have shot at 1 deer with them, and it dropped the deer. So I have no reason to switch right now.

thumbup Shaw is right but I use Rage like Jono because I don't have the patience to sight in both field points and broadheads. The Rages I shoot are identical to to my field tips so I avoid having to adjust sights twice. That's the main thing I like about mechanical. If not, I'd shoot a Slick trick like Shaw says.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 05:43 PM

Ramcat
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 06:43 PM

With 55-58lb draw I'd stick to fixed blade broadheads. More important than which broadhead is a tuned bow and arrows that are the right spine and have been spin tested. Good clean arrow flight and proper shot placement have killed far more deer than any broadheads sales pitch ever will.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: mw2015
Originally Posted By: jono23

thumbup Shaw is right but I use Rage like Jono because I don't have the patience to sight in both field points and broadheads. The Rages I shoot are identical to to my field tips so I avoid having to adjust sights twice. That's the main thing I like about mechanical. If not, I'd shoot a Slick trick like Shaw says.

X3,

Rage hypodermic, deep six diameter

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 08:33 PM

Shaw I saw these the other day and was just about to buy them. Never heard of them but they have a sweet design and remind me of the muzzy blades I shot before but better. And when tuning should I just tune broadheads or should I shoot field points to get it close and then tune to broadheads?
Posted By: MC21

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 08:39 PM

I have no idea why but i picked up a pack of shwacker and a pack of rage broad heads
i think ill use the rages first
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 08:52 PM

Thunderheads 100 grain. Been using them since 1992 with zero issues.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 09:06 PM

NAP Thunderheads for me as well. I've shot 5 bulls and have had zero damage to the blades. With my bow, they hit the same as my field points.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 09:26 PM

Well tuned bow and arrows first and foremost! Then Simmons Tree Shark. Don't need no stinkin' mechanicals or long blood trails!
Posted By: BearVenue

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 09:29 PM

Slick Trick Magnum or Standards. Mine fly exactly like my field points.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 11:41 PM

If you must use a fixed blade i will back slicks as ive killed several with them an they work well, but vortex broadheads went back in business an i have no reason to shoot other heads now. Vortex has been around along time an ive killed aloootttt of deer withem.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/09/17 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: chris4wde2
Shaw I saw these the other day and was just about to buy them. Never heard of them but they have a sweet design and remind me of the muzzy blades I shot before but better. And when tuning should I just tune broadheads or should I shoot field points to get it close and then tune to broadheads?

Tune with field points then tune the rest to get the broadheads to hit with them.

http://www.aldeer.com/Bows.html

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/10/17 10:24 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. And Shaw for the tuning help.
Posted By: Booger

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/10/17 10:44 AM

I liked muzzy 125gr. and Wensel Woodsmans screw in. You can resharpen the Woodsmans and reuse them multiple times. However, I was able to kill 3 deer and 2 hogs with the same Muzzy head by swapping out the blades. I killed a pile of deer with Thunderhead 125's too.
Posted By: Hoytdad10

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/10/17 10:58 AM

Slick Trick. Bought them for my son and watched him kill a couple deer pulling 47 lbs. I swapped to them and wont ever change unless they go out of business.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/10/17 12:34 PM

German Kinetics 85 grain
Posted By: robinhedd

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/10/17 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: foldemup
German Kinetics 85 grain

That what your elk hunting with?
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/10/17 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: robinhedd

German Kinetics 85 grain

No, I can't make them fly straight for 100 yards. grin
Posted By: robinhedd

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/10/17 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: robinhedd

German Kinetics 85 grain

No, I can't make them fly straight for 100 yards. grin

Try using a release instead of your fingers!
Posted By: MS_DEER_HUNTER

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/10/17 08:33 PM

Grim reaper whitetail specials , leave a gaping wound
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/10/17 08:51 PM

Im going to the Nap Slingblades this year. A 1 7/8 inch cut and a very simple design that uses no shock collars or anything of that sort. Also has a stronger ferrule than the killzone. If I dont end up liking them ill go back to tricks.
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/10/17 09:24 PM

Love the Grim Reaper white tails100
They fly well and really open up a big hole
Posted By: Cdub

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/11/17 06:10 PM

Expandable I would say rage. I shot those this past year and the blood trail was crazy. I started with shwacker at the beginning of season though and killed 2 with it with hardly any blood. If you choose a fixed I would for sure try thunder heads. Top pick for me though would be rage 2 blade. I love a lot of blood cause most the deer I shoot run in to pines and its tough finding little drops on pine straw without hydrogen peroxide lol.
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/11/17 07:01 PM

Slick trick / thunder heads/ NAP killzone all are great imo
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/11/17 09:42 PM

Slicktrick. You're welcome.
Posted By: Papagator

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/12/17 07:48 AM

RAGE
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/12/17 11:33 AM

I'm going to try the new muzzy hybrid this year. 2 standard muzzy fixed blades, trocar tip, with an expandable incorporated into it. I like the concept and having the fixed blades just in case the expandable does not deploy which is always my fear with expandables. Gonna shoot them and see what they do. I've killed probably 40 deer with muzzy's so I doubt they'd risk their reputation on a non-proven/untested design. Anyone shot them on game yet????
Posted By: HBWALKER14

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/12/17 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: abolt300
I'm going to try the new muzzy hybrid this year. 2 standard muzzy fixed blades, trocar tip, with an expandable incorporated into it. I like the concept and having the fixed blades just in case the expandable does not deploy which is always my fear with expandables. Gonna shoot them and see what they do. I've killed probably 40 deer with muzzy's so I doubt they'd risk their reputation on a non-proven/untested design. Anyone shot them on game yet????

Im thinking about doing the same. Whats the word on them?
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/12/17 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: HBWALKER14
Originally Posted By: abolt300

Im thinking about doing the same. Whats the word on them?

Interesting ... I shoot Muzzy's & Toxic's
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/12/17 01:03 PM

Gators from basspro shop. $19.99 per pack of three. Shoot very well,accurate. Looks just like a Rage, but have been around a long time.
Posted By: bholmes

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/12/17 01:27 PM

Trophy Taker Shuttle T. Best flying fixed blade that I have shot.
Posted By: muddyfeet

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/12/17 01:51 PM

NAP killzone
Posted By: Reno

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/12/17 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Ramcat

I swapped to those last year.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/12/17 11:20 PM

I have shot NAP's and slick tricks with good results. I switched over to G5 Montecs a while back. They are a little pricey but they fly the same as my field tips, no worries about penetration and I can resharpen and reuse. I have bent some when you shoot through one and it hits a rock in the ground.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/13/17 10:41 AM

Any fixed blade for that poundage. I'm partial to ramcat.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Broadhead Suggestions - 07/15/17 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: muddyfeet
NAP killzone

I started shooting this mechanical broadhead last year, and it more than did the job. Note that what I shoot are the Killzone "Maxx" which give an extra 3/8" cut, thus 2 3/8" total cut. I shot a buck last November with one, and he piled up about 40 yards away. Totally awesome blood trail too.

© 2024 ALDEER.COM