Aldeer.com

Who uses a range finder?

Posted By: Johnathan

Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 08:18 AM

So I am looking for a father's day gift for my wife to buy me grin. And was thinking of of a range finder. Just wanted to ask do real bow hunters use range finders, if so what kind?
Posted By: DaffyDucksWorstNightmare

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 08:26 AM

I bought the vortex 1000 last year. It's pretty incredible range finder; it has a red reticle which I really like. I tossed my Leupold RX600 up on the shelf, never expecting to use it again but it's good for backup.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 09:00 AM

Nikon arrow Id 5000 is what I have. I've yet to range an elk that I've shot but, I did range a tree last year when I knew my bull was coming. Just so happens, he ended up behind that tree and got poked.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 09:04 AM

I have a cheapo Halo. It works great and is small and light
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 09:05 AM

why would you not use one???
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 09:06 AM

I have used one for years. If you hunt the same tree every time it may not matter but I move around and climb different areas all the time and it helps. I also have started using mine when I turkey hunt. I just use a cheap Bushnell and the only issue I had to work around is it is not lighted and if I range early or late I have to range and then look up to into the sky to see the range.
Posted By: Little Foot

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 09:25 AM

Use the Leupold 600, every hunt!
Posted By: msims767

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 09:37 AM

Yes, bushnell
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 09:55 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred

X2

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 10:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaw

Originally Posted By: BhamFred

X2

Some people just know the corn pile is at 25 and can judge from there

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 10:38 AM

Same reason you should not use a cross bow? I was just asking.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 12:06 PM

Use one for bow, turkey and rifle.
Leica
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 01:42 PM

I use one
Posted By: Clem

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 03:57 PM

Always. Bushnell and Halo.
Posted By: muddybucks

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 04:13 PM

I use a Simmons 600 rangefinder works ok. If you get one I would also look in to getting a retractable range finder tether it makes hunting with one alot easier
Posted By: Rooster600

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 07:57 PM

I have the Nikon aculon, works great.
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/14/17 08:08 PM

Using the Vortex 1000 the red numbers are easy
To see especially in lower lighting
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/15/17 11:08 AM

I would guess that most people who shoot past 30 yards hunting are using one.
At least they should be.

I wouldn't go without one.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/15/17 11:55 AM

I like em

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/15/17 02:05 PM

I feel like a responsible Hunter will take the most ethical shot they can. And if a range finder helps you do that then you should use one . I only shoot when I am confident of the range.

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/15/17 02:08 PM

http://m.basspro.com/Halo-1000-Laser-Rangefinder/product/1603251030/
This one is on sale. I thought about looking at it.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/15/17 02:11 PM

Vortex Ranger 1000

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/15/17 03:22 PM

I use a Nikon Pro Staff. Believe it's a 600. Those Halos are made by Wildgame Innovations and that's a red flag for me. A couple of other options in that price range:

http://m.basspro.com/Pursuit-XR-600B-Angle-Laser-Rangefinder/product/1603161429/

http://m.basspro.com/Nikon-Aculon-Laser-Rangefinders/product/1308061704/
Posted By: JA

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/15/17 06:41 PM

I use an old Nikon I've had for years. I keep it in the left breast pocket of my safety vest. When I get to a tree, I range several trees to calibrate my eyeballs. I use a single pin fixed bow sight so range is important to me.
Posted By: Bud Meadows

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/15/17 07:38 PM

I use my cheapo Bushnell for bow, blackpowder and rifle. I hunt in Africa every year, and the first year I hunted there, when I'd ask my Professional Hunter the yardage to a Gemsbok or a Kudu, the answer was always "160 yards". Well, I play a LOT of golf, and hit my best drive about 220 yards. When I had a shot at a 40" Gemsbok bull, it was about the same yardage as my best drive. It turned out to be 224 yards according to the Bushnell. After my first year hunting with this PH, he broke down and bought a Leupold range finder. My longest shot with him was 378 yards on a huge male baboon. He dropped like a bad habit.
Posted By: DaBreeze

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/15/17 10:04 PM

100%. Every hunt. When I get settled into the stand, I'll range several places all around me and put it away.

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/16/17 08:29 AM

Personally I wouldn't lay my hands on a Halo or much of anything Wild Game Innovations makes. Within a year you will be trying to find another one. Get you a good one from the get go and don't look back. Also, remember your sights need to be set to the yardage from the rangefinder, don't just assume your 20yds setup is the same because it won't be.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/16/17 10:50 AM

I missed 2 coyotes last year each standing in the same spot, with a bow, because I didn't have my yardage correct. Never again.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/16/17 12:50 PM

I've had one for probably 20 years but I rarely carry it anymore. I used it like crazy when I first got it, trying to guess the distance of everything.

I used it a few times in the last few years just to check a few distances on some of our longest greenfields. I don't carry it bowhunting anymore because the rangefinder is much more accurate than my ability to shoot beyond 30 yards.
Posted By: Bud Meadows

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/16/17 04:10 PM

[quote Personally I wouldn't lay my hands on a Halo or much of anything Wild Game Innovations makes. Within a year you will be trying to find another one. Get you a good one from the get go and don't look back. [quote

I agree 100% with avoiding Wildgame Innovations products. In addition to being low quality made in China junk, "Big Bill" is a whack job and his two sons are douchbags.
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/16/17 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Johnathan
So I am looking for a father's day gift for my wife to buy me grin. And was thinking of of a range finder. Just wanted to ask do real bow hunters use range finders, if so what kind?

I have an older Primos or Nikon and use it. I just pick landscape points of reference and pre range them so I don't have to range deer & pick pin when deer walks in. Less movement & risk of noise.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/16/17 07:58 PM

I do
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/16/17 08:04 PM

If the Indians didn't have it I don't hunt with it. Except my new bow,rangefinder, camo, treestand ,ozonics, rage extreme broad heads ,carbon express narrows. You know little stuff like that.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/17/17 07:57 AM

Originally Posted By: mandeerpig
If the Indians didn't have it I don't hunt with it. Except my new bow,rangefinder, camo, treestand ,ozonics, rage extreme broad heads ,carbon express narrows. You know little stuff like that.

laugh I am convinced the Injuns didn't eat much venison.

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/17/17 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Bud Meadows
[quote Personally I wouldn't lay my hands on a Halo or much of anything Wild Game Innovations makes. Within a year you will be trying to find another one. Get you a good one from the get go and don't look back. [quote

I agree 100% with avoiding Wildgame Innovations products. In addition to being low quality made in China junk, "Big Bill" is a whack job and his two sons are douchbags.

I think my Halo is 5 or 6 years old. It's been a pretty good one

Agree about big bill being a goober
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/17/17 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Rooster600
I have the Nikon aculon, works great.

Me too. No complaints with it.

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/18/17 08:06 PM

I went to Gander Mountain in Huntsville Friday( they are having a going out of business sale) and picked up a Nikon Arrow id 3000. I have played with it in the backyard and I think it will work good for my first rangefinder. It will read out to 550 yards.I like that when viewing objects they are bigger and the yardage display is big also. I looked at 5 range finders that were priced around $100 to $199 and this one I thought did good for $139.Thanks for all comments and help. I guess I have been behind in the bow hunting equipment. I really don't like carrying a lot of stuff out in the woods with me, but this seems small so it shouldn't take up a lot of room. [img:center][/img]
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/18/17 08:23 PM

Congrats, you'll like it. I like the incline setting and the true target setting as well. That's where I leave mine. Have fun

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/18/17 08:32 PM

You made a good choice. thumbup
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/18/17 09:39 PM

Like Shaw said you made a good choice
And will be glad you got it! Will really help
You learn distance.
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/19/17 08:30 AM

I need one for readings out to 1,000 on deer. Any recommendations?
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/19/17 08:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Rebelman

good luck with that. I doubt even the leica's will. I haven't found one yet that will read a deer much past 600 yards
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/19/17 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: 87dixieboy

good luck with that. I doubt even the leica's will. I haven't found one yet that will read a deer much past 600 yards

Correct; my Leica 1000 is good on deer to around 600. Used to have a Bushnell Scout 1000; it would do a deer past 400. One problem is it is hard to hold one steady on a deer at 1000; pretty small target at that range.
I am sure some of the higher end units will do it with the right rest or tripod.
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/19/17 06:46 PM

What about the Sig Kilo 2000?

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/20/17 08:05 AM

May not be helpful but I have had my Vortex read about pass 800yds just has to be a big reflective target. Holding a range on a deer that far is nearly impossible, for me at least.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/20/17 08:35 AM

What about the Sig Kilo 2000?

I have this one and I like it alot. I can't hold it still enough to read anything except for a treeline at 1000 yards though
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/21/17 09:50 AM

The problem is it is a none reflective target. That is why it wont read. All you would have to do is buy a tripod to get it steady. About the only range finder you can buy that will hit a deer that far would probable be the vectronix rangefinders but they are a pretty penny.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Who uses a range finder? - 06/26/17 08:57 PM

Bushnell. I use it for bow hunting and power line. I'll mark several spots when I sit down so that I don't have to range then when they walk out. I know if they are by that tree, or that plant they are a certain yardage away.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM