Aldeer.com

New Bow Suggestions

Posted By: NWALJM

New Bow Suggestions - 04/21/17 01:57 PM

Looks like I'll be in the market for a new compound this summer sometime. Not really particular to brands and such, but I'll be looking to spend around $700-$800. What are some options y'all would recommend for that range?
Posted By: Shaw

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/21/17 02:09 PM

Mathews HTX
Posted By: foldemup

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/21/17 03:37 PM

Used Obsession Phoenix grin
Posted By: jbc

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/21/17 08:17 PM

I have a super nice Bowtech RPM360 I'll sell you.

Just was ready for something new
Posted By: GHTiger10

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/21/17 08:55 PM

Mathews Halon 32. Smooth, quiet, fast.
Posted By: Rooster600

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/21/17 10:11 PM

I'll second the halon although probably not in your price point. The htx however like Shaw suggested would be in your price point and is a shooter for sure. No doubt you'd love how it shoots.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/21/17 10:47 PM

Halon, e35, maybe an obsession.

Go shoot every how you can get your hands on at stores. Pick which one you want, then buy off archery talk. There is not a bow out there that can't be had for under $800. Even this years models.
Posted By: Rip50

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/22/17 12:25 AM

Best bet is to go to a Shop and test shoot every make of bow you can. Then get what fits you.What feels good to all of us. May be different for you.
That said make sure you try out a Elite e35. No hand shock what so ever.
Posted By: clarkdeer

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/22/17 04:02 PM

Many of the "flag ship" bows will be a little more than your price point. Top of my list right now are: Bowtech Reign, Halon 32, and New Breed Blade or GX2.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/22/17 07:39 PM

If you want a light bow, try out a Carbon Icon. Draws and shoots smooth. Good luck searching but, like others said, go test out a few models.
Posted By: flounderpounder

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/22/17 10:59 PM

BOWTECH
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/24/17 08:00 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will probably try to go shoot a few first, but wanted to have a short list to get started.
Posted By: king

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/25/17 08:14 AM

MATHEWS !
Posted By: HBWALKER14

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/26/17 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
Mathews HTX

HTR for me

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/26/17 11:08 AM

Here's your deal.....

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2098349&#Post2098349
Posted By: wjohnson1983

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/26/17 07:42 PM

How much difference between the htx and halon? I know a lot of you highly recommend the halon.

Thinking about jumping on the bow deal above

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/26/17 07:48 PM

The HTX draws smoother to me.
Posted By: Rooster600

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/26/17 08:58 PM

Agree the htx draws smoother. that's a hell of a deal too. I bet you'd never regret it.
Posted By: wjohnson1983

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/27/17 04:32 PM

HTX vs. MQ1?

I'm just joking with that question.

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/27/17 05:23 PM

Vs

Posted By: ColeT

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 04/27/17 10:36 PM

The htx is the smoothest bow I've ever shot. The halon was extremely smooth for a dual cam bow. Not many bad choices out.
Posted By: cgardner

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 05/09/17 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: GHTiger10
Mathews Halon 32. Smooth, quiet, fast.

Better double that budget from $800. I just bought one and put nearly $1,700 in it!!
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 05/14/17 04:30 PM

I got an obsession def con 6 last summer .That thing is deadly. I shot the halon and the defcon 6 side by side for about 30 min and for my money I choose the obsession. Don't get me wrong the halon is a great bow but the obsession was substantially lighter and was as fast or faster than the halon. The most impressive thing to me about the defcon 6 is it totally dead in your hand and is super quiet.
Posted By: rth102

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 05/16/17 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: mandeerpig
I got an obsession def con 6 last summer .That thing is deadly. I shot the halon and the defcon 6 side by side for about 30 min and for my money I choose the obsession. Don't get me wrong the halon is a great bow but the obsession was substantially lighter and was as fast or faster than the halon. The most impressive thing to me about the defcon 6 is it totally dead in your hand and is super quiet.

I too bought a Def Con last year, but mine was the Def Con 7. I shot it against literally almost EVERYTHING (missing bear, prime and g5) and it by far felt the best for me. Zero hand shock, fast as lightning, smooth draw, and most importantly for me personally, a super long valley. I bought a 2016 when the 2017 line was coming out because i was forced to if i wanted to bow hunt this last fall (limb failure on my old bow 1 week into season). They released the 2017 modles and the 2017 models are no longer a modular cam system requiring you to pay $85 for a new module to change draw lengths. Obsession now has their cams set up where you can adjust length like most other bow companies. They will be a decent bit cheaper than the Mathews, and quite a bit faster. I love my Def Con 7, however, when we set mine up, in order to get the bow to shoot a good bullet hole we had to switch the shims from both sides creating considerable cam lean. (Like looks bad enough that it appears the string is about to derail coming over the cams.) Apparently this has been a problem for obsession in the past as i have heard many stories of having to move rests almost completely off the riser to get to the center shot of the bow or purchase completely new shims on a brand new bow in order to get it tuned correctly. I've taken this setup to two different shops that were supposed to be well known Obsession dealers in North AL and Tullahoma, TN as my personal favorite shop quit carrying them due to the same types of tuning issues a couple years ago and neither has been able to come up with a solution so far. I would pay attention to that as much as possible if you're considering an obsession as the dealer wants to sell you that bow. The shop in Tullahoma that i purchased the bow from did not even suggest i paper tune the bow before i walked out. Almost like they knew it wouldn't tune. However, even with all this I think i would buy one again if i had to do it again and just be more careful before i hand my money over......I think. Just my story on my bow buying experience....
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 05/16/17 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: rth102
Originally Posted By: mandeerpig

I too bought a Def Con last year, but mine was the Def Con 7. I shot it against literally almost EVERYTHING (missing bear, prime and g5) and it by far felt the best for me. Zero hand shock, fast as lightning, smooth draw, and most importantly for me personally, a super long valley. I bought a 2016 when the 2017 line was coming out because i was forced to if i wanted to bow hunt this last fall (limb failure on my old bow 1 week into season). They released the 2017 modles and the 2017 models are no longer a modular cam system requiring you to pay $85 for a new module to change draw lengths. Obsession now has their cams set up where you can adjust length like most other bow companies. They will be a decent bit cheaper than the Mathews, and quite a bit faster. I love my Def Con 7, however, when we set mine up, in order to get the bow to shoot a good bullet hole we had to switch the shims from both sides creating considerable cam lean. (Like looks bad enough that it appears the string is about to derail coming over the cams.) Apparently this has been a problem for obsession in the past as i have heard many stories of having to move rests almost completely off the riser to get to the center shot of the bow or purchase completely new shims on a brand new bow in order to get it tuned correctly. I've taken this setup to two different shops that were supposed to be well known Obsession dealers in North AL and Tullahoma, TN as my personal favorite shop quit carrying them due to the same types of tuning issues a couple years ago and neither has been able to come up with a solution so far. I would pay attention to that as much as possible if you're considering an obsession as the dealer wants to sell you that bow. The shop in Tullahoma that i purchased the bow from did not even suggest i paper tune the bow before i walked out. Almost like they knew it wouldn't tune. However, even with all this I think i would buy one again if i had to do it again and just be more careful before i hand my money over......I think. Just my story on my bow buying experience....

I have a friend of mine on here that night chime in on this but he had a bow tech screw his limbs up while setting up his obsession bow. He called the company direct about fixing the bow and the owner of the company personally met him and had his bow fixed free of charge the week before bow season opened. I would contact obsession directly if I where you. I'm really big on supporting companies with good customer service.
Posted By: LUMPY

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 06/03/17 08:05 AM

I have a defcon6 I'd sell. Probably haven't shot it 100 times. Never been hunted
Posted By: foldemup

Re: New Bow Suggestions - 06/03/17 08:20 AM

If you have a problem with obsession, call the owner directly and he'll get it right for you. And quit worrying about a bullet hole on paper, it doesn't mean squat as far as being tuned. Lumpys bow is badarse by the way.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM