Aldeer.com

Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling

Posted By: Fullthrottle

Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/02/17 09:17 AM

Anyone goin? February,24,25,26. This will be my first time to go. Just wandering what to expect. I'm taking my 6 year old daughter and she is wanting to shoot her recurve in a tournament. She is pretty pumped about it and would be disappointed if I didn't let her shoot. So what should I do to get her ready besides practice. Just need to know what to expect. Thanks
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/02/17 10:27 AM

I'll be there for sure.

kids usually shoot from closer stakes but some of the shots are still long for a 6 year old. She will have a blast.

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/02/17 11:03 AM

What kinda distance she I expect. She hits the target every time at about 6 steps. Get past that and we are struggling.

Here is a quick clip of her.

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/03/17 10:01 AM

for the adults the ranges are up to 40+ yards, a lot of 20-25 yard targets and lots 10-20 yards.

kids I'd guess up to 20-25 yards tops. but a lot of close one, she will have fun.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/03/17 01:28 PM

Let her go and have fun. Just let her shoot from wherever she wants as long as you aren't turning in a score for a trophy. That's what I do with my little kids.I pay for them to shoot and have a card but let them shoot wherever they want and don't turn it in. It's all about letting them have fun anyway,and who cares about the competition.

If it looks like she can shoot the distances you can always shoot another round and turn her card.

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/03/17 02:34 PM

We are not worried about a trophy. Just didn't know how serious folks were there. Didn't want to take the fun out of it for her. She is excited, she made a count down calendar and everything

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/03/17 03:30 PM

I'm not sure they even have score keepers for the spring fling...
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/04/17 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Fullthrottle
We are not worried about a trophy. Just didn't know how serious folks were there. Didn't want to take the fun out of it for her. She is excited, she made a count down calendar and everything

That's the best thing about the trad guys. It's all about fun and not serious competition. When you shoot the coarse you can go with just you and your family or a few friends,or whoever you want. It's good to have groups of about 3-6 people so it flows better, but there's no official watching you. You just shoot your target and wait on the group ahead of you and go from target to target. Some targets are 30-50 yards apart and some may be a little farther. It's all very informal and on the honor system if you want to keep score. There's no money prize involved so it would take a special kind of person to be so needy as to cheat.

Sometimes they will have a special event where you shoot in front of people in a shoot off but that's usually completely separate.
Posted By: Recurve

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/06/17 10:46 AM

I will probably be there. A lot of good vendors too. Black Widow will be there.
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/14/17 05:01 PM

Just go and let her shoot from wherever you wish... as long as you are in line between the stakes and the target, so a miss doesn't cause a safety issue.

Just go and have fun. When my son was shooting at the trad shoots, my wife and I would walk him up past all the stakes and let him shoot from what distance he felt like. He had fun, and so did we. We wrote down his score, but we didn't turn in the card for competition.
Posted By: loprofile

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/21/17 05:14 PM

Great video. Cute but also impressive. What poundage and make bow is that.

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/22/17 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: loprofile
Great video. Cute but also impressive. What poundage and make bow is that.

It's a samick little fox. Has 25# limbs but she might be pulling 15# at the most. I think her draw length was 16 inches

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/23/17 07:39 AM

starts tomorrow......

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/23/17 12:16 PM

I am going tomorrow. Weather is going to be bad Saturday a lot cooler.

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/23/17 02:16 PM

I'll prolly set up a tarp to knap on, usually in center between roads.
Posted By: Recurve

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/23/17 04:04 PM

It turns out that I probably won't be there, but y'all fling some for me.
Posted By: Toxophilite

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/23/17 07:08 PM

I'll be there for a bit Friday but all day Sat. Plan to look up Troy to learn a new word or two. :-)

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/23/17 10:15 PM

I'll have a "word for the day" for you.

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/24/17 12:29 PM

We are on our way

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/24/17 07:58 PM

Well we had a blast today. Didn't have cell service so couldn't post on here to see if any of you guys were there. When I get a chance later tonight I will post some pics and videos

Re: Tanna Hill State Park Spring Fling - 02/26/17 05:27 PM

Was anyone there this afternoon for the awards
© 2024 ALDEER.COM