Aldeer.com

How often do you change your hunting rig?

Posted By: kodiak06

How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/19/17 10:55 PM

How often do you change hunting bows? I look at the new bows but, other than my typical "wants", I see no reason to change. My bow's light, which is nice for humping it all day chasing elk, shoots plenty fast enough and, a breeze to draw back at 70#. I've had it 2 years and think I'll stick with it a few more years. I may buy a twin to have as a spare and/or practice bow. All bows before that I prolly averaged keeping them 3yrs before buying new.
Posted By: Tatortot

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/19/17 11:03 PM

I bought the Switchback XT in 2006 and shot it until 2015. IMHO, bows do not improve drastically enough each year to justify spending 1k on a new one. I shoot the Elite Synergy 32 now and love it. I plan on shooting it for a Few more years atleast.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/19/17 11:11 PM

Yeah I don't change my rig every year, but I bought a Mathews S2(now discontinued) new back in '08 and I sold it 2 years ago. I've regretted it since.
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/19/17 11:11 PM

Still shooting a '04 Mathews Outback 60# with no plans to change.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/19/17 11:27 PM

Been shooting mine since jan 2010. Just put new strings on. I want a new bow more than I need one.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/19/17 11:30 PM

I bought a new bow about 3-4 years ago. I had been using one I bought new in 1999. So, I go a few years before changing. The older I get, the faster the years go by, though.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/20/17 04:31 AM

I bought a new bow this past summer (2016). Before that, mine was a 2004 bow. At bow distance,it won't make them anymore dead, but it's fun shooting good equipment.
Posted By: lawnman

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/20/17 07:15 AM

Usually every 3 or 4 years. I don't even keep one long enough to change the string. I only shoot a month before season and occasionally during,just to make sure it is still on target. I would do alot better if I stayed out of the local bow shops.
Posted By: PoohBear

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/20/17 07:44 AM

I bought my first bow in 2007, the Drenalin by Mathews and still have it and will probably always have it. I just change the string every 3 years. I can't afford $1000 + bows these days. I shoot 60 pounds.

If anything, I hope to start hunting with a recurve one day!! Talk about a challenge! And on the ground!

And hey, I still to this day read and hear about the Switchback being the best bow ever by Mathews, and LOTS of people are still hunting with them. I personally know two guys who are.

I imagine at one time someone started a thread on here on the best and worst bows on the market. Thanks.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/20/17 08:20 AM

Very rarely.
Daughters are SR and FR in high school.
Travel softball, band, Azalea Trail and college prep leave little room from upgrades. I have a 4 yr old PSE and it serves my needs.

I did buy the youngest a Mission Craze II last week and we get to start shooting it today.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/20/17 08:33 AM

Gotcha all beat. Still shooting a 2003 Mathews LX year round for everything.
I've shot newer faster and diff brands but haven't found anything I had to have just because.
If I get a new bow then I'll most likely have to get a new bow press so I like keeping that 2,000 in my pocket.
New string and cable every other year plus I know it in and out so problems get fixed immediately.
Next new bow will probably be for my son when he outgrows his.
Posted By: woodswalker

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/20/17 08:33 AM

My compound bow was purchased used in the late 90's but this past summer I purchased a new PSE crossbow. The plan is to use it for the next 20 years unless a limb breaks. In early November I got a 6-point with it so it's already paid for itself.
Posted By: BruteX

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/20/17 08:48 AM

I just bought a Mathews Halon 6 this year and have killed 5 with it. As much as it cost I'll probably shoot it till I'm dead. lol
Posted By: bill

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/20/17 10:26 AM

It's just a tool to get the job done, for me. I only care that it's quiet and accurate. I'm shooting a Bear Attack that I bought a couple years ago and I'll probably have it for several years. Now rifle scopes? I am never satisfied so I change yearly.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/22/17 10:06 PM

I get bored too damn fast
Posted By: bmc77

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/23/17 08:42 AM

I got a 2003 Mathews LX that still shoots smooth,accurate,and deadly.I'm not changing anything but strings ever so often.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/23/17 01:46 PM

Started bowhunting in 2009 with a used Bowtech Tomkat, and upgraded this past fall to a slightly newer Mathews Drenalin.
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/23/17 01:51 PM

I've been bow hunting for 17 years and I'm on my 5th bow.
Posted By: Recurve

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/23/17 02:28 PM

I bought my last Black Widow in 2006 and am still using it. I just change the string out every so often and it's ready to go.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/23/17 03:36 PM

Gonna use my old Q2 till one of us dies.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/24/17 07:12 PM

This is my 24th year bowhunting and I'm on my 4th bow. outgrew #1, #2 the limbs delaminated, could not get parts and PSE sent me a replacement bow of different model which was #3 shot it for 5-6 years never liked it, missed 2 in a row and it had to go. so now I'm on #4 BowTech on its 5th or so season. Its a confidence thing with me, as long as its mechanically sound and I'm confident in it, I'll keep flinging arrows with it.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/24/17 08:19 PM

I've bowhunted since 1994 and have had 4 bows.

I've been shooting a SBXT since 2009 and have no plans to change anytime soon.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/26/17 05:04 PM

Bought a Hoyt Tenacity in 1997 and killed deer with it till I bought a Hoyt Vector 32 in 2012. It will be around a while,also.
Posted By: Geno

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/27/17 04:22 PM

I've only had two compounds since 1978 and three recurves. I don't change very often.

Hunting with a crossbow now but I still shoot a recurve about five or six times a month for fun even though it hurts.
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: How often do you change your hunting rig? - 01/28/17 09:40 PM

Kept my first PSE F1-maxis for 8 years , Mathews switch bal for 10, PSE dream seson 1 year and have a Hoyt Nitrum now and wanting to swap Tina Elite for some
Reason
© 2024 ALDEER.COM