Aldeer.com

Entry or Exit Wound

Posted By: Bamahoo

Entry or Exit Wound - 12/30/16 12:47 PM

Which do you guys think is more important...

The Entry Wound or the Exit Wound???

For Example....Rage has a good entry wound yet Swhacker has a better exit wound due to how they deploy.

Yes I know shot placement has a lot to do with this & if its a pass through but just trying to get some feedback.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 12/30/16 01:13 PM

Exit...there will always be an entry.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 12/30/16 01:24 PM

If you shooting from a stand on a downward angle, the exit wound can leave a better / faster blood trail.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 12/30/16 03:48 PM

No doubt, exit.
Posted By: Jwattsmojo

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 12/30/16 04:06 PM

Exit also you can clip a lung at the right angle and come out a tad gutty, the guts will plug the whole and you'll never see a stitch a blood but the deer will die. Been there before
Posted By: jbc

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 12/30/16 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Bamahoo

For Example....Rage has a good entry wound yet Swhacker has a better exit wound due to how they deploy.

Opinion?
Posted By: clarkdeer

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 12/30/16 11:11 PM

Which do you guys think is more important...

The Entry Wound or the Exit Wound???

Yes I know shot placement has a lot to do with this & if its a pass through but just trying to get some feedback.

Exit is more important IMO. However I think you should consider both. Assuming you get enough penatration for an exit the rage is going leave a large entry and exit. The Swhacker is going to leave a big exit but a very small entry.
Posted By: FlyinRN

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 12/31/16 12:44 AM

I aim for the exit hole. I want my arrow to come out just behind the off shoulder. So that's what I'm visualizing when I'm aiming.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 12/31/16 04:51 AM

Most blood or blood trails are caused by exit wounds. Small exit or plugged wounds mean blood filling the cavity.Lots of times this results in lost or unrecovered deer. This is why it's important to consider entry angle to avoid organs that plug exit wounds. The shot Flyin describes is what I consider a perfect shot, it's clear of stomach which can plug exit wounds.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 12/31/16 08:38 AM

I consider both to be very important. I want a large sucking chest wound on both sides and I want plenty of airflow for the blood to run out. This is the reason I shoot rage and not swackers. The way your lungs work is suction, lungs have no muscle. When you breathe in, you are actually pushing your diaphragm downward which expands your chest cavity and fills your lungs with air. When you break the suction on the chest cavity, the air capacity of the lungs is greatly reduced due to air getting sucked in the holes around the lungs instead of into the lungs. As far as blood trails, imagine this. You have 4 55 gallon drums full of water, they are perfectly sealed. We are gonna do 4 to simulate 2 passthroughs and 2 with no exit wound with rage and swackers. 1 drum is gonna have a 5/16" hole in one side, 1 is gonna have a 2 inch hole in one side, these are the no exit wound drums , 1 is gonna have 1-5/16" hole in one side and a 2" hole in the other side, and the last will have a 2" hole in both sides. Which of the first 2 and last 2 will empty quicker?
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 01/01/17 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: jbc

Opinion

I say it's a fact.

Opinion?

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 01/02/17 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
Most blood or blood trails are caused by exit wounds. Small exit or plugged wounds mean blood filling the cavity.Lots of times this results in lost or unrecovered deer. This is why it's important to consider entry angle to avoid organs that plug exit wounds. The shot Flyin describes is what I consider a perfect shot, it's clear of stomach which can plug exit wounds.

Thanks for the info.

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 01/02/17 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: mackdaddy

Originally Posted By: jbc

Opinion

I say it's a fact.

Opinion?

I was just using them for examples. I do however use both broadheads and that's why I used them. I have had amazing entry with rage and amazing exit with swhacker.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 01/02/17 01:29 PM

Exit.

Lot easier to find a deer with an exit hole, or an exit hole that is larger, due to blood leaving deer and you seeing it.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 01/02/17 02:05 PM

actually either or both can be immaterial. I shot a 1800 Eland with a rifle , but the same principal applies. Entrance wound was six inches forward of the right hip and six inches down from the spine. Way tooo far back and high.

Exit wound was front edge of left shoulder, bottom of briskit height. Too low and too far forward.

line between the two was just right grin the bull was laying down quartering away. He ran maybe 150 yards and died running.

I do like an exit wound for better blood letting/blood trails.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 01/02/17 02:10 PM

Entrance, without it you ain't got an exit wound.

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 01/02/17 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Bustinbeards
Entrance, without it you ain't got an exit wound.

Well thanks Captain Obvious. I must say the feedback you have given has been the best so far.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 01/03/17 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker

Had this happen to me. I found a tiny drop of blood on a stone (pure luck) about 10 yards from where I shot her. Then it took 3 guys and an hour to find her. Her guts plugged the exit hole.
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 01/04/17 02:23 PM

Ill take a big entrance and exit for 1000 alex. I swapped to the rages several years ago when I lost the first deer I ever shot with a spitfire. I was inexperienced with a bow and shot her quartering to. From what I have seen with the spitfire I can only assume the entrance was small and exit was the 1.5 inches that they expanded to. Never found the deer although we had good blood. I felt like if I would have had an open on impact head the entrance would have been a lot bigger and would have cut the full 2 inches all the way through doing more damage to the lungs in between

Re: Entry or Exit Wound - 01/04/17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 87dixieboy
Ill take a big entrance and exit for 1000 alex. I swapped to the rages several years ago when I lost the first deer I ever shot with a spitfire. I was inexperienced with a bow and shot her quartering to. From what I have seen with the spitfire I can only assume the entrance was small and exit was the 1.5 inches that they expanded to. Never found the deer although we had good blood. I felt like if I would have had an open on impact head the entrance would have been a lot bigger and would have cut the full 2 inches all the way through doing more damage to the lungs in between

Yeah I usually run rage but also have the swhacker. Last year had a set of NAP and hated them. Had one open early and completely miss the deer. Now I use them for small game.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM