Aldeer.com

Great day in the woods

Posted By: sluggun

Great day in the woods - 11/17/16 11:38 PM

I've been trying since last year to get my 13 year old daughter Ashley a shot at a deer with her bow. I hunted an area on the club in a hardwood creek bottom yesterday and saw a few deer that were within 25 yards so I talked her into going with me this morning. She is not a morning person and didn't want to go but finally gave in. We packed our climbers to the spot just after daylight and had no sooner got setup when 5 big does came trotting in. They got up on us too fast and I told Ashley to stand up just as the lead does spotted us and they all high tailed it back the way they came. No big deal, it was early and maybe we'll get another chance. 30 minutes later Ashley says "deer deer" and sure enough there was one of the largest doe groups I have ever seen coming straight at us. There were 20 does and fawns in the group. Ashley got so excited that she couldn't pull her bow back. After multiple attempts one of the does saw us and they all blew out of there. Well, she blamed it on all the clothes but her legs were shaking uncontrollably. So we took off her jacket and I repositioned to where I could help her pull back the bow. After I helped her get it back the first time she could do it by herself. It wasn't long before 4 more big does and a spike came in. This time she was able to draw back when the lead doe was twenty yards. I told Ashley to put her 20 yard pin on her low right behind the shoulder. The doe looked up and saw us and ran back a few yards and I didn't tell Ashley to use her 25 yard pin. It was a swing and a miss but at least she got a shot. She claims it's my fault she missed cause I told her to use the wrong pin. By now both of our legs were shaking. I wouldn't have been that excited if I was the one shooting at a giant buck. We stayed until 11:00 and saw some more deer but nothing close enough. Ended up seeing 40 in all. That's the most deer I've ever seen in one sitting. Even though she didn't get one we both had a hunt we will always remember.I think I've turned her into a morning hunter.
Ashley had piano practice this afternoon so I took her home and went back to the same spot for the afternoon hunt. I didn't see a single deer this afternoon but did manage to kill a coyote at 3:30. 30 yard shot and 10 yard recovery.

Posted By: doekiller

Re: Great day in the woods - 11/18/16 07:40 AM

Sounds like she will get one soon.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Great day in the woods - 11/18/16 08:03 AM

Thats great that you get to spend that time with her! Sounds like she will get one in no time.

Dumb question, guess its just something I never thought of, but do you climb 1 tree with 2 climbers?
Posted By: sluggun

Re: Great day in the woods - 11/18/16 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: jono23
Thats great that you get to spend that time with her! Sounds like she will get one in no time.

Dumb question, guess its just something I never thought of, but do you climb 1 tree with 2 climbers?

Yes we climb the same tree. Ashley can't climb by herself so I put my stand under hers. She works the top part and I work the bottom for her.
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Great day in the woods - 11/18/16 10:27 PM

Any day in the woods is great to me!
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Great day in the woods - 11/19/16 08:14 AM

Yes Sir!

That my friend, is a Great day!

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: Colt1917

Re: Great day in the woods - 11/19/16 09:19 PM

Sounds like you've found a pretty good spot!
Posted By: robinhedd

Re: Great day in the woods - 11/19/16 09:57 PM

Great story Sluggun!
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Great day in the woods - 11/20/16 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: sluggun
I've been trying since last year to get my 13 year old daughter Ashley a shot at a deer with her bow. I hunted an area on the club in a hardwood creek bottom yesterday and saw a few deer that were within 25 yards so I talked her into going with me this morning. She is not a morning person and didn't want to go but finally gave in. We packed our climbers to the spot just after daylight and had no sooner got setup when 5 big does came trotting in. They got up on us too fast and I told Ashley to stand up just as the lead does spotted us and they all high tailed it back the way they came. No big deal, it was early and maybe we'll get another chance. 30 minutes later Ashley says "deer deer" and sure enough there was one of the largest doe groups I have ever seen coming straight at us. There were 20 does and fawns in the group. Ashley got so excited that she couldn't pull her bow back. After multiple attempts one of the does saw us and they all blew out of there. Well, she blamed it on all the clothes but her legs were shaking uncontrollably. So we took off her jacket and I repositioned to where I could help her pull back the bow. After I helped her get it back the first time she could do it by herself. It wasn't long before 4 more big does and a spike came in. This time she was able to draw back when the lead doe was twenty yards. I told Ashley to put her 20 yard pin on her low right behind the shoulder. The doe looked up and saw us and ran back a few yards and I didn't tell Ashley to use her 25 yard pin. It was a swing and a miss but at least she got a shot. She claims it's my fault she missed cause I told her to use the wrong pin. By now both of our legs were shaking. I wouldn't have been that excited if I was the one shooting at a giant buck. We stayed until 11:00 and saw some more deer but nothing close enough. Ended up seeing 40 in all. That's the most deer I've ever seen in one sitting. Even though she didn't get one we both had a hunt we will always remember.I think I've turned her into a morning hunter.
Ashley had piano practice this afternoon so I took her home and went back to the same spot for the afternoon hunt. I didn't see a single deer this afternoon but did manage to kill a coyote at 3:30. 30 yard shot and 10 yard recovery.

Congrats, it's way harder to kill a yote than a deer.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM