Aldeer.com

Bow shop put helical veins on my regular vaned arrows

Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Bow shop put helical veins on my regular vaned arrows - 10/09/16 02:15 PM

Went in to get some refletching done to a couple arrows. The guy put helical vanes on my arrows. Otherwise the exact same vanes.

I'm shooting an inch high at 15 yds with them. Did he eff up?

Re: Bow shop put helical veins on my regular vaned arrows - 10/09/16 02:44 PM

So i've got a mixed bag of regular vaned and helical vaned arrows now
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Bow shop put helical veins on my regular vaned arrows - 10/09/16 03:08 PM

Shoot them, ya may like them better
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Bow shop put helical veins on my regular vaned arrows - 10/09/16 05:45 PM

Since I started fletching my own arrows all I do is right helical now. I like it more than the straight fletched arrows.

Re: Bow shop put helical veins on my regular vaned arrows - 10/09/16 10:18 PM

I'm not opposed to shooting all helical vanes but I'm not interested in shooting half helical and half normal.

I brought it in close today and was shooting a good inch above my regular vaned arrows.

I just want to see if anyone could shed a little light on whether they could indeed shoot differently.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Bow shop put helical veins on my regular vaned arrows - 10/09/16 11:55 PM

Yep they seem to be more accurate. I'm shooting right helical because they tighten broadhead on impact.
Posted By: mman

Re: Bow shop put helical veins on my regular vaned arrows - 10/12/16 09:28 AM

Originally Posted By: ozarktroutbum
I'm not opposed to shooting all helical vanes but I'm not interested in shooting half helical and half normal.

I brought it in close today and was shooting a good inch above my regular vaned arrows.

I just want to see if anyone could shed a little light on whether they could indeed shoot differently.

I would say most definitely, it will affect your arrow flight. To maximize accuracy, you have to maintain consistency from shot to shot. The drag on the arrows with a replaced helical vane will be different than those with your "normal" vanes.

If you shoot at longer distances, you will be able to tell how much of an affect it is having on your arrow flight. Also, that will probably translate into different points of impact using fixed blade broadheads.

Just from the mental aspect, I always want everything the same, otherwise I would always be wondering if it was the arrow or me.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Bow shop put helical veins on my regular vaned arrows - 10/12/16 09:43 AM

if you shoot a whisker biscuit you need straight vanes, if you're not happy take em back. IMHO they should have asked...

Re: Bow shop put helical veins on my regular vaned arrows - 10/12/16 09:51 AM

Originally Posted By: mman
I would say most definitely, it will affect your arrow flight. To maximize accuracy, you have to maintain consistency from shot to shot. The drag on the arrows with a replaced helical vane will be different than those with your "normal" vanes.

If you shoot at longer distances, you will be able to tell how much of an affect it is having on your arrow flight. Also, that will probably translate into different points of impact using fixed blade broadheads.

Just from the mental aspect, I always want everything the same, otherwise I would always be wondering if it was the arrow or me.

Yeah I would have appreciated maybe a "Hey, this fletching might make your arrow fly differently..." Nope, just slapped them on there and I guess expected me to not say anything. Of course I asked him about it and he told me how much better the helical fletch is. I would have made a stink but didn't know they would fly differently.

As for the helical fletching flying better, they very well might, but not when all my other arrows are straight fletched!!!

The one he fletched shoots higher than all my other regular fletched arrows.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM