Aldeer.com

Xbow help

Posted By: NortonZ7

Xbow help - 07/22/16 07:51 AM

I'm buying a crossbow for my 5 year old girl, but I don't know anything about them. I've never paid a whole lot of attention to them until now. From what I'm reading it seems like the PSE Fang is going to be about the best for the money. I wanted to try and get some opinions here. I appreciate any help.
Posted By: Mowens

Re: Xbow help - 07/22/16 07:06 PM

Best advice I got is take her to a xbow range at a store and let her try several out. If you buy her one she can't use or hates outright it will only cause problems.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Xbow help - 07/25/16 11:45 PM

I traded into a Fang a couple months ago. I've shot it a few times, and can tell you it's VERY fast. Not the lightest thing either. And needless to say, a X-bow could really do some damage to your little girl if she ain't holding it correctly when firing (I'm probably preaching to the choir, but since you said you don't know anything about them...).

Anyway, the Fang is a solid X-bow and comes with factory string stops. All of the reviews I read indicate that PSE is selling an $800-$900 (somewhere near that range anyways) X-bow for $350. I'm glad to have the one I got, and hope that I can get-r-done this season with it.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Xbow help - 07/26/16 12:19 PM

Safety of course, with a 5-year-old.

With a girl, if she has long hair put it UP in something behind her head. Don't let the hair dangle, or ponytail or pigtails, where it could be caught in the xbow string.

Also, if you wear hoodies or zip-up sweatshirts or have anything with strings hanging down like to cinch a hoodie, don't let them dangle over the string. Same with a compound. You don't want to catch something, snag something and yank it offa your head or whatever.

Probably wouldn't happen with hair or hoodie strings, but it could. Just something to keep in mind.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Xbow help - 07/26/16 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem

Safety of course, with a 5-year-old.

With a girl, if she has long hair put it UP in something behind her head. Don't let the hair dangle, or ponytail or pigtails, where it could be caught in the xbow string.

Also, if you wear hoodies or zip-up sweatshirts or have anything with strings hanging down like to cinch a hoodie, don't let them dangle over the string. Same with a compound. You don't want to catch something, snag something and yank it offa your head or whatever.

Probably wouldn't happen with hair or hoodie strings, but it could. Just something to keep in mind.

You a good ol' boy Clem...great advice!
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Xbow help - 07/27/16 05:01 PM

I noticed my kids would always have their hands over the rail. Fingers straight up vs curling the fore grip. Watch for that. also make sure the scope/red dot is aligned for them. Scope eye on a little one could ruin the whole experience. If shooting from a blind, make sure the limbs have room to flex. My 13 yr old (at the time) learned that one the hard way. Scared the crap outta me

The Barnett Jackal is a nice low dollar xbow.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Xbow help - 07/27/16 08:24 PM

Quote:
I noticed my kids would always have their hands over the rail.

Most bows made in the last 3-5 years have a finger guard of some type or "thru grip" to prevent wrapping fingers over the rail. Some older bows may be able to have a guard added to help prevent it.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Xbow help - 07/27/16 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: jmudler
I noticed my kids would always have their hands over the rail. Fingers straight up vs curling the fore grip. Watch for that. also make sure the scope/red dot is aligned for them. Scope eye on a little one could ruin the whole experience. If shooting from a blind, make sure the limbs have room to flex. My 13 yr old (at the time) learned that one the hard way. Scared the crap outta me

You think that crossbow kicks hard enough to give me scope eye??? Lol
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Xbow help - 07/28/16 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
Originally Posted By: jmudler

You think that crossbow kicks hard enough to give me scope eye??? Lol
I had a 7 year old cry when she shoot mine. Little kids......

Re: Xbow help - 07/28/16 11:17 PM

Safety will definitely be first. I've tried my best to teach them proper firearm/weapon etiquette since they were old enough to start halfway understanding. I appreciate the advice though, as I have never fooled with crossbows. I am just looking for something that would get the job done without spending a grand. I plan to get her shooting a recurve soon and then will move her up to a compound, but she is all about wanting to kill a deer this year. I figured if I got her a crossbow I could take her several times before it got too cold for her. I think I will probably end up going with the PSE. My wife will probably take it a little too. Thanks again guys.

Re: Xbow help - 07/29/16 03:36 AM

Drew, another route might be a .410 with slugs and tapped for an optic. Unless she is gun shy. It would be much easier for her to handle. I believe she'd have trouble with the weight and awkwardness of a crossbow.

Re: Xbow help - 07/29/16 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
Drew, another route might be a .410 with slugs and tapped for an optic. Unless she is gun shy. It would be much easier for her to handle. I believe she'd have trouble with the weight and awkwardness of a crossbow.

I got her covered on gun, she's gonna shoot an AR. You know a kid of mine has to bow hunt though smile. I'm hoping she can handle the Xbow if it's on a shooting brace. If she can't this year maybe she can in a year or two.

Re: Xbow help - 07/29/16 02:08 PM

You may look into one of those Caldwell field pods then. I've see. Videos of real young kids using those in ground blinds
© 2024 ALDEER.COM