Aldeer.com

A few pics from Old Mexico

Posted By: BobF

A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/16/16 03:33 PM

Just crossing the border more pics to come...The grey ghost proved to be a very humbling archery experience...spot & stalk these deer is very tough in the high desert..
Posted By: muddyfeet

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/16/16 03:40 PM

thumbup

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/16/16 03:41 PM

Glassing from high points in the mountains...

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/16/16 03:54 PM

Most of my pics are on my camera, so this evening I will post more...the country I was in was high and beautiful. Getting inside 80 yards was very difficult, but a heck of a lot of fun!

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/16/16 06:46 PM

When I arrived at the ranch on the 10th, I got to see 2 beautiful coues racks...one from the 6th & the other the 10th...

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/16/16 06:47 PM

Both of these bucks are over 100" gross...really nice racks for a coues deer....definitely got me pumped for the next 5 days.

Posted By: SMB44

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/16/16 07:54 PM

Awesome! Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Honolua

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/16/16 08:40 PM

thanks for posting

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 10:55 AM

Posted By: BhamFred

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 11:06 AM

cool piocs, hope ya killa good one.
Posted By: buckbrush

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 11:14 AM

Nice pics

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 11:16 AM

Posted By: chevyman

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 11:24 AM

thumbup

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 11:52 AM

My max range was 55-60 yards and unfortunately I was unable to get within my range for an archery shot on a good buck. These are some tough critters to get close to. I sat a ground blind for 2 days, sunrise to sunset, had only does and young bucks within range. For the rest of the hunt I wanted to see the high desert country and spot and stalk these deer. It was amazing! Nearly every mountain side we glassed had deer and usually multiple shooters...truly a game rich environment. My first of several stalks was on great buck, 105"-110", and I got to 85 yards on the initial attempt before being pinned down with no more cover to get any closer...the buck was with 2 does on a ridge above, so I backed off and climbed up the mountain to the same ridge about 150 yards above him. I side hilled the ridge weaving through cactus and cat claw (terrible stuff, by the way, shreds clothing) I got to a point on the ridge, knocked an arrow, and expected to step out from behind the cat claw to find the buck somewhere between 25-35 yards...Unfortunately he had moved to another ridge and was at 82!! we had a stand off for about 20 minutes before he dropped down the other side of the ridge. We quickly climbed to the top of that ridge to relocate him...when we topped that ridge there were 10-15 more deer in that basin, including two more smaller shooter bucks. We relocated the buck I was after, only to find him at 105 yards and no way to get to him!! For the next three days we had several more of these same type encounters with different bucks...all with similar results. As I said in my first post, a very humbling archery experience. Tough critters in some tough country! I was able to fill my tag using Nick's gun (my guide) on a good coues buck and very happy I did. I will go back to chase them again with my bow!

Nick paid one of the cowboys to pick ticks off the cape and later that night we spent 4-6 hours picking ticks off again. Unfortunately, the border agent found a single tick on my cape and confiscated it...No problems with the meat or the skull plate getting home with me and I messaged my taxidermist as soon as I crossed the border and he is already searching for a cape.

A great experience to check off the bucket list!

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 11:55 AM

One thing I've learned after my black tail hunt in Alaska and this coues hunt is that a multi-pin slider is a must...my fixed pin sight just doesn't cut it on these types of hunts.
Posted By: Reno

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 12:25 PM

Great story and beautiful country.. i bet its a rush spot stalking like that!

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 12:58 PM

Posted pics of my buck on the rifle kill thread, if interested in seeing my buck.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 04:26 PM

Looks like an awesome trip. Would love to be able to do that one day!
Posted By: billrv

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 04:44 PM

Good Luck Robert
Posted By: SMB44

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 05:43 PM

Awesome story! I can't believe they took your cape because of one freakin tick!

Re: A few pics from Old Mexico - 01/17/16 06:00 PM

Yeah, she was a bit of a bitty...had the guy agent that was helping with the paper work inspected the cape, I don't think I would have had any problems. Had she not been so homely looking, I would have told her I suspected I had some ticks on me that didn't need to cross the border... smile
© 2024 ALDEER.COM