Aldeer.com

Deer are some tough SOBs

Posted By: muzziehead

Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 12:20 AM

I shot this 133lb doe at 23 yards this weekend. Had a perfect quartering shot and hit right where I was aiming. Arrow passed through and she ran across the property line of my neighbor. Called my neighbor who I am friends with and told him I had stuck a doe and she crossed the line. He offered to come help recover her but I felt I had made a good shot. Waited 2 hours and after tracking her over 400 yds finally recovered her. A double lung shot with a massive hole, one tough animal.
First blood found, 20 yards from shot.

Recovered over 400 yards from
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 12:32 AM

Dang. That's one of those she can't be much farther now blood trails
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 12:33 AM

Dang man. 400 yards is one labor-intensive tracking job. Looks like a perfect shot too. Glad you were able to recover her.

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 12:42 AM

I lost a good 9 point earlier this year after a very close range shot but my arrow glanced off a limb and hits front leg. If I had lost this one I was either going back to muzzies or rage. The slick trick punched a heck of hole and pass through. Just could not believe she went that distance.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
Dang. That's one of those she can't be much farther now blood trails

Don't even get me started on this...no kidding.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 02:18 PM

Dude, tell me about it; I stuck the SNOT out of a doe, perfect double lung'er, prob 20 yards MAX (more like 15), clean pass-thru, and she ran like a scalded DOG over 100 yards before giving up the ghost... THANKFULLY (and mercifully) she ran right into my pasture & tried to run the length of the field, so I found her easily... Had she hit the brush, it would've been a different story... Here she is:

Yours was a big doe, but it always seems like the small deer I hit (100 lbs & less) put up the BEST fights!
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 02:22 PM

I've told it before on here but I shot a doe with a 7mag at about 200 yards in a cut ag field. Blew pieces of lungs and bone out where she was standing. She still ran 200 yards across the field and into the woods where she piled up in a creek
Posted By: Geno

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 02:28 PM

Yeah they are.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 05:01 PM

This heifer made it over 400 yards.

Posted By: sbo1971

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 09:43 PM

Just watch the you tube video where someone shot a doe with a 50 cal at around 75yds dang thing still ran 50+ yds with her organs haging out her side.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 09:49 PM

Where did the arrow come out? I'm guessing that is the entrance side of the quartering shot?

Were you elevated or on the ground during the shot?

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 10:19 PM

Not sure if you're asking me or not, Boff. Anyway, she was at 12 yards and I was 20' up a tree. As she went to pass under me, she busted me drawing. She was facing me head on. I know, not an advisable shot. A 100gr. Slick Trick Magnum did that. Actually started slicing before it entered. I didn't get an exit and found the arrow about 50 yards away. She made it 400 yards and Ray Charles could've followed the blood trail.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 10:31 PM

Shaw thats borderline animal cruelty ! LOL Looks like you hit her with an axe.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 10:51 PM

I found a huge buck i tracked for 3/4 mile lats year with 2 broke legs, guts hanging out, and a collapsed lung. It took us 5 hours to track him and there was literally a river of blood for 2 hundred yards.

Never saw anything like it.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/29/15 10:57 PM

Actually asking muzziehead, but glad you filled in the info!! thumbup

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: rut_n_strut75

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/30/15 12:19 AM

They sure are!!
Posted By: chevyman

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/30/15 08:14 AM

They have a will to survive and escape that is unreal..I have too many stories..Much respect!!
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/30/15 09:25 AM

Shaw, I ground checked a doe like that one morning w/a .30-06; blew its whole brisket out... Wicked ugly...
Posted By: sluggun

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/30/15 04:00 PM

Just shoot them like this a they're really not that hard to track.

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/30/15 04:43 PM

I shot one through the back of the head and it exited through her left nostril once. Wasn't intentional though. I had already shot one running with her and she was quartered away 35 yards. She jumped the string and spun in the wrong direction. grin

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 12/30/15 11:47 PM

[quote=BOFF]Where did the arrow come out? I'm guessing that is the entrance side of the quartering shot?

Were you elevated or on the ground during the shote side of the quartering shot

I was in my Summit about 20' up a tree.
Posted By: BC

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 01/05/16 08:07 AM

Some of them just have more fight that others. I shot a doe one time at 10 yards with my bow. I 10 ringed her right in the heart and she whirled and ran over 100 yards. I had to leave and get back to Birmingham for work so my dad gutted her for me. He swore up and down that I had cut the whole bottom part of her heart into three pieces. Amazing animals.
Posted By: SCdeerhunter26

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 01/05/16 10:01 AM

Sum beech sluggun!
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Deer are some tough SOBs - 01/05/16 10:46 AM

I've had the same thing happen as well.
A buddy of mine used to say that deer must have been spooled up right at the stall, and was waiting on the green when she got hit.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM