Aldeer.com

How many of you??

Posted By: Atoler

How many of you?? - 12/15/15 09:55 PM

Have shot through a shoulder with a mechanical? I'm talking about breaking bone.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: How many of you?? - 12/15/15 10:06 PM

not I

I used to think I shot a shoulder breaker set up....160gr two blade Simmons, total arra weight was 570gr, out of a 70# compound. I was wrong. Buck turned into me as I released, hit shoulder and got 2" of penetration if that....
Posted By: Shaw

Re: How many of you?? - 12/15/15 10:21 PM

There's one spot on that shoulder no one's putting an arrow through no matter what bow, arrow or broadhead they're using. I put a 100gr. Rocky Mountain Titanium fixed head through the shoulder of a 195# 7pt in Mississippi 14 years ago and and lodged in the opposite shoulder. Even broke bones, but I didn't hit that spot. One of the blades broke and it bent the very tip of the head. I hit that spot on a doe with the same bow and arrow setup and only got about 2" of penetration a year later.
Posted By: Climber1

Re: How many of you?? - 12/15/15 10:23 PM

Same thing happened to me this year Fred. I am shooting 465gr out of a 72# set up and i only got about 2" of penetration and a broken arrow in the front shoulder. I was shooting G5 Montecs so I don't think a mechanical would have done any better.

I think it really depends on where you hit in the shoulder. If you Tbone the "thick" part, not many arrows are going through. If you hit a little back in the scapula, it should punch through. Although, I will never again try to tuck one in there tight like I did with this buck. I'm going a little further back for some buffer on the big bodied deer here on out.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: How many of you?? - 12/16/15 07:12 PM

lost my only deer last year on an easy 16 yard shot with a Rage Hypo. Didn't go through the bone. As she ran off I could see it flopping around. Found the arroow 25 yards away broke off right behind the insert.

i switched to Ramcats and like them way better.

I killed a pile of deer with Rages every year but won't use them again.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: How many of you?? - 12/16/15 07:15 PM

Climber, I respectfully disagree. I have shot a quite a few deer through the shoulder blade. That shot is the one that separates fixed blades from Big Mechs. IMHO
Posted By: n2deer

Re: How many of you?? - 12/16/15 11:25 PM

I try to leave the shoulder shots to the boom sticks.
Posted By: SCdeerhunter26

Re: How many of you?? - 12/17/15 12:53 AM

I actually had this happen to me this evening. Had a doe broadside at 30 yards, shot and hit about 2" forward and squared up the bone in the shoulder, arrow went in no more than 2" and came out after she ran through the woods. Shooting Rage mechanical.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM