Aldeer.com

Release preference

Posted By: mauvilla

Release preference - 12/09/15 11:30 PM

Thumb release or index caliper type which one do you like best , if you use a thumb release why and what are your preferences I'm looking to swap releases and have been reading up on them just looking for opinions
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Release preference - 12/10/15 09:02 AM

I've always used a finger release, but I may switch before next year. I've got bad target panic with a finger release.
Posted By: HBWALKER14

Re: Release preference - 12/10/15 09:09 AM

I used a finger release when i was younger, but have since switched to a thumb release and i havent looked back. I shoot the tru-ball max hunter 3 finger release. I really like not having a bulky strap on my wrist. I always keep my 3 finger release connected to my range finder when not in use, makes it easier to keep up with it.
Posted By: skintback

Re: Release preference - 12/10/15 09:25 AM

I shoot the Scott index /wrist style release, but have shot a few thumb style. My point of impact changes a good bit with the thumb release and it feels awkward. I still have completely ruled one out though.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Release preference - 12/10/15 01:35 PM

finger easier in stand and with gloves
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Release preference - 12/10/15 01:56 PM

I switched to a thumb release a while back but almost immediately switched back to a wrist strap style. I shot the thumb release relatively well, but just didn't like it like I thought I would.
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Release preference - 12/10/15 02:07 PM

Thanks for the replies I bought a new bow and have it etched on my mind to change everything and have been looking at them pretty close just not used one yet
Posted By: buckhunter2

Re: Release preference - 12/10/15 02:42 PM

Carter Quickie wrist strap with a buckle (no velcro- loud and inconsistent anchor point if you don't fasten it in the same spot each time. I wouldn't consider a thumb release unless it has a wrist strap. Too much can go wrong and you will be 20' up a tree with no release.
Posted By: bbrown2933

Re: Release preference - 12/10/15 10:27 PM

My dad bought me a Scott Mongoose, single caliper release w/ buckle,almost 20 years ago for my 15th bday. I still shoot it and don't plan on ever changing.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Release preference - 12/11/15 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: buckhunter2
Carter Quickie wrist strap with a buckle (no velcro- loud and inconsistent anchor point if you don't fasten it in the same spot each time. I wouldn't consider a thumb release unless it has a wrist strap. Too much can go wrong and you will be 20' up a tree with no release.

I had a TrueFire Hardcore and I would have agreed with you. It had basically a weed guard thing on it, but you had to hold it in fear of it falling to ground. Very annoying.

I just got a Tru Ball Fang release that locks on the string and it has be wonderful. It has just become part of my routine: put bow hanger in tree, pull bow up, hang bow, arrow on string, release on string.

Don't have to think about it again until its time to shoot and your hands are free for binocs, range finder, whatever.

I shoot much much better with thumb than index finger. Better, more natural anchor points for me.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Release preference - 12/11/15 09:11 AM

Thumb release for me. I hate wearing a wrist strap!
Posted By: Sulli

Re: Release preference - 12/11/15 09:16 AM

I shot Scott little goose for years but about 5 years ago I switched to truball short-n-sweet and really like. It's great if you're shooting a d-loop
Posted By: bar_7mag

Re: Release preference - 12/11/15 10:19 AM

Scott don't know the exact model have had it for 15+ yrs no trouble yet
Posted By: NortonZ7

Re: Release preference - 12/11/15 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bowhunter84

I don't like wrist straps either! I'm trying to get used to a thumb release right now. It's taking me a little bit. I'm scared to take it hunting right now, but I hope To be rocking and rolling with it by next season.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Release preference - 12/11/15 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: NortonZ7
Originally Posted By: Bowhunter84

I don't like wrist straps either! I'm trying to get used to a thumb release right now. It's taking me a little bit. I'm scared to take it hunting right now, but I hope To be rocking and rolling with it by next season.

I adapted pretty well to it. To me it felt way more comfortable. I have no desire to go back to a wrist style release.

Which thumb release did you get?
Posted By: FullPotential

Re: Release preference - 12/11/15 10:42 PM

Carter RX 1 and Carter Like Mike buckle strap. I shot Scott for close to 20 years with good results. Tried the Carters a couple of years ago and I was immediately sold, crisp no travel trigger and they are accurate.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM