Aldeer.com

Affordable Climbers

Posted By: GomerPyle

Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 03:40 PM

Well as I've mentioned before, I recently quit the club I'd been in for the last few years, and it looks like all my family/friend connections have dried up, so I'm pretty much down to public land has my only hunting option, which means I probably need to start considering a climber.

I've been opposed to using one in the past b/c, well, I just don't trust them, but it looks like I'll have to get over that. I hear a lot of people talking about the Lone Wolf stands, but they look to be $400-500 and I just can't pay that. Are there any options that are a little more affordable, and still safe/sturdy?

Also, I have no atv so I'm hoofing it wherever I go...the lighter the better - but I know that will probably mean more $$$.

What are my best options?
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 03:41 PM

A used summit most likely. Upgrade to the Molle straps off amazon and you won't have a problem carrying it.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 04:09 PM

Find Demp17's post about the knock off lone wolf for $200...that would be a great option.
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 04:53 PM

Man if your worried about safety just get a new summit. I think I paid 300$ for mine and I wouldn't want to be 20' up a tree on a knock off something or other. Safety is worth it IMHO.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 05:10 PM

I was lucky enough to have been gifted an older summit, but I love it. I don't LOVE being up high, but I always feel safe in this stand. Its heavy, but I just deal with it. Its comfortable and strong.
Posted By: NortonZ7

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 05:24 PM

I live a Summit Viper SD. It's really light and super comfortable. Some people on here hate Summits, but I can't figure out why. I absolutely love both of mine.
Posted By: Widdamaker

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 05:24 PM

Aluminum summit best all around strand on eBay for about $260
Posted By: RonBuck

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 05:28 PM

I have a cougar claw that is really comfortable and light weight 350.00 I think .. I'm not sure how safe it is , I seek a video on you tube of a hefty guy break one , I've had the summits and there nice but nothing has been as comfotable as this cougar ckaw ..hopefully it don't kill me though.
Posted By: SLAYER

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 05:35 PM

I'm not a big fan of summits.. I have 3 ol man's and will never own a different one..
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 06:01 PM

Dicks has a summit look a like now on sale for 99.00. If your on a budget it might be worth a look. Or just buy a used summit off craigslist.
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: NortonZ7
I live a Summit Viper SD. It's really light and super comfortable. Some people on here hate Summits, but I can't figure out why. I absolutely love both of mine.
Norton is correct
Posted By: Megatrondiablo

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 06:55 PM

I like api myself. I think it has better adjustments for any tree. The chain is the way to go.
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 87dixieboy
Man if your worried about safety just get a new summit. I think I paid 300$ for mine and I wouldn't want to be 20' up a tree on a knock off something or other. Safety is worth it IMHO.

It's not a knock off. The same guy that invented lone wolf is now working with this company. XOP Enforcer is the name of the stand we were discussing. I ordered one and it got here 3 days later from Field Supply. It is not as comfortable as a Summit but will work extremely well for early season hunts. Its light and super quiet also. If your a bigger guy, get the wide version. I'm 6-3 260 and it is just almost to small for me.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 08:00 PM

I haven't used a ton of stands but I can't tell you that I feel very safe and comfortable in my summit titan SD.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 08:10 PM

I have used Ol Man, Buckshot, Lone Wolf, API, Cougar Claw and Summit. If I was buying another one, hands down it would be another Summit Viper SD.
Posted By: Climber1

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: olemossy
I have used Ol Man, Buckshot, Lone Wolf, API, Cougar Claw and Summit. If I was buying another one, hands down it would be another Summit Viper SD.

This. I have sat in a lot of climbers and feel the most comfortable and safe in a summit. It is the millennium m100u of the tree climbers.
Posted By: smitty00

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 08:19 PM

I have sat in a lot of climbers, but Summit beats them all to me. They are quite, go together well, and are lite. I have also used a treewalker and they are great too, but they suck if you are hunting a pine. They dig in. Most all the ones mentioned are pretty solid stands.
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 08:42 PM

I'm pretty sure my next one will be a Summit Cobra.
Posted By: PEA_RIDGE

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 08:42 PM

SUMMIT VIPER ALUMINUM VERSION
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 08:59 PM

If you really want a Lone Wolf they usually have a sale for Black Friday. I forget how much they discount it but they also charge flat rate $5.95 shipping. Might still be pricey even with sale but just FYI so you keep an eye out for it.
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 09:47 PM

You can find used Aluminum summits on craigslist pretty regular at less then 150 bucks. I love my summits and never have any issue at all with them. If I had to buy a stand tonight, It would be a summit.
Posted By: turkey_killer

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Southwood7
I haven't used a ton of stands but I can't tell you that I feel very safe and comfortable in my summit titan SD.

May I ask what feels unsafe about your summit?
Posted By: SMB44

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/05/15 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: NortonZ7

me too
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/06/15 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: turkey_killer
Originally Posted By: Southwood7

May I ask what feels unsafe about your summit?

Turkey killer, that's a typo. I meant to say, I CAN tell you that I feel very safe. I love my summit titan.
Posted By: demp17

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/06/15 08:21 AM

I had to make the same call this summer, I don't have $400 to spend on a climber. I am not going to go back and re-write everything that I have about the XOP enforcer but its a replica of the LW sit and climb except its made in China and the same guy that started LW started XOP with his son. Its not as comfortable as a Summit (not much is) but it packs way way better and is 10X easier to carry. I took my seat off and added a hazmore seat, added new stabilizer straps from 3rd hand archery and added Molle 2 straps and I can carry this tree stand all day. I loved my summit vipers, great stand and very comfortable but it was a dadgum pain in the neck for me to carry around the mountains that I hunt. You can probably find a used summit for a good price if that's what your heart is set on.

PM to you Gomer, I am going to send you everything I sent another member who asked for pro's and cons of the XOP.
Posted By: demp17

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/06/15 08:26 AM

Originally Posted By: bowtarist

Originally Posted By: 87dixieboy

It's not a knock off. The same guy that invented lone wolf is now working with this company. XOP Enforcer is the name of the stand we were discussing. I ordered one and it got here 3 days later from Field Supply. It is not as comfortable as a Summit but will work extremely well for early season hunts. Its light and super quiet also. If your a bigger guy, get the wide version. I'm 6-3 260 and it is just almost to small for me.

FYI if you want to make it summit seat comfortable you can put a summit seat on it. Guy on archery talk has his set up with a summit seat and it looked awesome. Thinking about ordering one just to put on for gun season.
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Affordable Climbers - 11/06/15 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
Well as I've mentioned before, I recently quit the club I'd been in for the last few years, and it looks like all my family/friend connections have dried up, so I'm pretty much down to public land has my only hunting option, which means I probably need to start considering a climber.

I've been opposed to using one in the past b/c, well, I just don't trust them, but it looks like I'll have to get over that. I hear a lot of people talking about the Lone Wolf stands, but they look to be $400-500 and I just can't pay that. Are there any options that are a little more affordable, and still safe/sturdy?

Also, I have no atv so I'm hoofing it wherever I go...the lighter the better - but I know that will probably mean more $$$.

What are my best options?

Sent you a pm.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM