Aldeer.com

stabilizers--work or not?

Posted By: cullbuck

stabilizers--work or not? - 03/24/15 07:38 PM

Stabilizers on a modern compound bow--do they help or not? I have a short hunting stabilizer (probably 5") and I can't tell much difference with or without it. I've not done consistent tests at longer ranges with & without though. What do yall think?
Posted By: Shaw

Re: stabilizers--work or not? - 03/25/15 06:12 AM

A bow stabilizer serves two purposes. Most all stabilizers on hunting rigs are intended to absorb vibration, which in turn, will quieten your bow. With the desgins of today's bows, and the fact that most use some sort of string stopper, you see little or no gain using one for this purpose.

The other intended use of a stabilizer is where it's name originates, stabilization. This is done several ways. Either by simply adding mass weight to the bow or strategicly distributing the weight to make the bow steadier while aiming.

For hunting I use an 8" stabilizer with 3oz. of weight on the end of it. When I shot the open classes in tournaments I used a 24" stabilizer with 3oz. on the end plus a 12" side bar or "wind bar" with as much as 10oz. on the end. A heavily weighted side bar will dramatically steady your bow at full draw. A lot of people use this set up while hunting. But personally I find the added weight and length of a side bar to be more of a hindrance than a benefit on a hunting rig.

Whether or not a stabilizer is beneficial on a modern compound depends on the shooter. Personally I feel one helps me.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM