Aldeer.com

Different Knots

Posted By: IDOT

Different Knots - 05/13/12 03:17 PM

Postem up if you got any you like to use wink

Canoe Knot ( Top Water Lures, Jigs, Jerkbaits )

Double Uni Knot ( Splicing Lines Together )

Snelling A Hook #1

Snelling A Hook #2 ( I like this one )

Posted By: teamduckdown

Re: Different Knots - 05/13/12 03:33 PM

ICOT i can never see your pics.. and I dont know why. I can see everyone elses. crazy
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Different Knots - 05/13/12 04:52 PM

Whats wrong with a PALOMAR Icot ? Its all I use.

Re: Different Knots - 05/13/12 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker

Nothing wrong with that knot, it's what I use when fishing soft plastics, "Texas Rigged"

Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Different Knots - 05/14/12 03:25 AM

Thats KNOT(snicker) all I use, but it does cover about 75 percent of it. I use the simple snell knot some and the double surgeons loop too.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Different Knots - 05/14/12 09:48 AM

The only knot I've ever used is the Improved Clinch.The one my Grandpa said use and have for last 35 yrs.
Posted By: Little Foot

Re: Different Knots - 05/14/12 11:56 AM

Palomar and Improved clinch are the two I use!
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Different Knots - 05/14/12 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Little Foot
Palomar and Improved clinch are the two I use!

x2
Posted By: jdkelly12

Re: Different Knots - 05/14/12 03:24 PM

Don't know if y'all have seen this on TV, but they put knots head-to-head to see which ones are the strongest. They even have an app.

http://www.fishingclub.com/video-tv2/knot-wars.aspx

Re: Different Knots - 05/14/12 05:00 PM

Adding this knot for future reference

Re: Different Knots - 05/14/12 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: jdkelly12
Don't know if y'all have seen this on TV, but they put knots head-to-head to see which ones are the strongest. They even have an app.

http://www.fishingclub.com/video-tv2/knot-wars.aspx

That is a very cool link, appreciate you posting it. thumbup
Posted By: CAM

Re: Different Knots - 05/14/12 06:16 PM

Here's another link that's useful:

http://www.animatedknots.com/
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Different Knots - 05/14/12 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: teamduckdown
ICOT i can never see your pics.. and I dont know why. I can see everyone elses. crazy

I can't either.

Re: Different Knots - 05/14/12 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
Originally Posted By: teamduckdown

I can't either.

Hmmmm, you gotta unclick the "ignore" box grin

That is strange though confused
Posted By: REEFD

Re: Different Knots - 05/17/12 11:45 PM

ICOT, how about some braid knots.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Different Knots - 05/17/12 11:51 PM

I always use Palomar for everything, including braid. Never have had a problem.

If I'd practice more with the snell I would use it for flipping with tubes, creature baits, etc. The snell flips the hook point into the roof of the mouth on the hook-set and has a much better hookup ratio. I'm just too lazy to practice it.

Improved Clinch is good. I use it for smaller lines with some finesse or panfish stuff.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Different Knots - 05/18/12 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: REEFD
ICOT, how about some braid knots.

Palomar has the best breaking strength with braided lines.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Different Knots - 05/18/12 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Clem
I always use Palomar for everything, including braid. Never have had a problem.

If I'd practice more with the snell I would use it for flipping with tubes, creature baits, etc. The snell flips the hook point into the roof of the mouth on the hook-set and has a much better hookup ratio. I'm just too lazy to practice it.

I also use a palomar for everything but flipping.

Clem, here's how I tie my snell knot to a flpiing hook with a bait keeper (trokar style): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFmNieom_dA
Posted By: Clem

Re: Different Knots - 05/18/12 03:40 AM

I've not had any problems with the Palomar while flipping, mainly because fish fear me, but I suspect learning the snell would help with the one or two badass bass that aren't poopin' on their anal fin when I come around.

Gotta learn the snell. Thanks for the vid link.
Posted By: marcus1

Re: Different Knots - 06/19/12 12:05 AM

back ttt
Posted By: blade

Re: Different Knots - 07/15/12 08:24 PM

TTT to keep on page 1
Posted By: blade

Re: Different Knots - 05/20/13 07:49 PM

TTT for useful info
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Different Knots - 05/20/13 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: ridgestalker
The only knot I've ever used is the Improved Clinch.The one my Grandpa said use and have for last 35 yrs.

my grandfather was a fishing guide in the Florida keys for over 45 years and that's all he used. At a young age I tried to rebel and find a better knot and he said look here, I've caught tarpon up to 200 lbs with that knot on 20 lb test, i supported our family with that knot, I don't see why you would think there is a better knot than that. You can guess which knot I have always used, the improved clinch. The palomar is a very strong knot but it is hard to tie with a large bait with treble hooks and you have to cut the knot off with a knife instead of pulling it off with your teeth. That being said the only other knot I use is a snell when cat fishing because they spin when they fight and with a regular knot they always get the line caught in the gap where the eye of the hook meets the shank and the rough edge there will cut your line sometimes if you aren't snelling your hooks.
Posted By: BirminghamBuck

Re: Different Knots - 05/21/13 08:48 AM

I use this one for my crappie jigs - makes them little Bobby Garlands dance.

Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Different Knots - 05/21/13 12:19 PM

Excellent info in this thread, thanks guys
Posted By: Sharpshooter69

Re: Different Knots - 06/26/13 03:47 PM

Hey Cornholio, depends on the type of line I'm using. I've recently been shown a knot that I've never seen before. I'm having some very good results. I'm going to try to find a video to post .
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Different Knots - 06/27/13 10:06 AM

Same here. My dad showed me that when I was kid and that's all I've ever used.
Posted By: Morris

Re: Different Knots - 06/27/13 08:53 PM

There's an app for that.. Knot Wars

Re: Different Knots - 08/13/13 02:26 PM

Check out the San Diego Jam Knot. You won't break it , and its very fast and easy to tie.

Re: Different Knots - 08/13/13 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Sharpshooter69
Check out the San Diego Jam Knot. You won't break it , and its very fast and easy to tie.

Re: Different Knots - 08/14/13 01:37 PM

That's the one !
Posted By: Baybuzzard

Re: Different Knots - 08/15/13 11:15 PM

Grinner knot

[img:center]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SK8nVxXfP84[/img]

Re: Different Knots - 08/16/13 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Baybuzzard

Posted By: nitroexpress

Re: Different Knots - 09/26/13 07:20 AM

I just picked up a book last week on knots, it's called the ultimate book of everyday knots by geoffrey budworth very informative and instructive.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Different Knots - 03/04/14 04:17 PM

I use the palomar for most everything but I use an arbor knot for tying line to a spool on a baitcaster. The improved Albright is my favorite knot for using a leader on braid and all 3 knots are strong and simple as can be
Posted By: jchan

Re: Different Knots - 05/12/14 08:06 PM

The braid knot on the link below is the best I have ever used....it will not break....period!

http://www.bassresource.com/fish/knots.html
Posted By: BassnBuck

Re: Different Knots - 06/10/14 05:20 PM

Uni-knot for everything. Blue marlin, flyfishing for everything in fresh and saltwater, tournament bass fishing, and this weekend on red snapper. Uni-knot splice takes practice though.
Posted By: smokinya

Re: Different Knots - 06/24/14 08:07 AM

Polomar and double Uni for splicing my top-shot of 200lb mono to my 130lb mono for shark fishing!
Posted By: Peach

Re: Different Knots - 01/23/15 11:59 AM

I do a lot of tarpon and cobia fishing and knot strength can vary greatly according to the knot you tie. (Especially braid)I developed my own knot for braid and it faired better than all the above mentioned knots in a strength test. Also remember that some knots are very strong but do not have good shock value, (shock value is how the knot holds up during an aggressive hook set - which is not needed for circle hooks) Knot: Double your braid and run it through the eye of the hook and bring it back around through the eye of the hook again. Then tie an improved overhand clinch knot and cinch carefully keeping all tags tight at the same time. Note: Do not use an overhand clinch knot for braid without doing the above. It will break if setting the hook on a large fish. I've used this knot to catch countless tarpon, cobia, and in saltwater tournaments and it has never failed me.
Posted By: CPalmer72

Re: Different Knots - 02/20/15 12:14 PM

Palomar, Albright and the double sandiego jam knot (i think is what its called) is all i use
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Different Knots - 02/21/15 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
The snell flips the hook point into the roof of the mouth on the hook-set and has a much better hookup ratio.

This^^^. I drift fish for cats, and when I switched to this knot, my hookup ratio doubled.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Different Knots - 06/04/15 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: ridgestalker

Same here.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Different Knots - 06/04/15 08:16 AM

Never tied a snell knot. It looks like you have to use a leader with it?

Re: Different Knots - 06/30/15 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: toothdoc
Never tied a snell knot. It looks like you have to use a leader with it?

Doc, you can do it without a leader. Here you go:

Posted By: basspro527

Re: Different Knots - 02/18/16 03:39 PM

The palomar knot is fine but with flurocarbon it can pinch the line causes breaks, I used to only use palomar knots with an occasional break but i switched to the Grigsby knot which you can see on youtube have broke a tie yet.

Re: Different Knots - 02/24/16 11:02 PM

Posted By: metalmessiah

Re: Different Knots - 03/23/16 02:38 PM

me too on everything except the tiniest little jig eyes that are a turd to get the line through. about the easiest knot I ever learned.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Different Knots - 06/21/16 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: BirminghamBuck
I use this one for my crappie jigs - makes them little Bobby Garlands dance.

I really don't understand what to do at stage 3 on this not... A simple hitch after coming back thru the square doesn't hold for me. I lost half a pack of BG's yesterday using it. laugh
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: Different Knots - 06/21/16 10:14 AM

In step 3-4 we use an arbor knot if it is a single jig or the bottom jig on doubles. Tie to after the knot you made in 1-2.

Re: Different Knots - 07/21/16 12:29 PM

Re: Different Knots - 09/05/16 08:57 PM

Drop Shot Knot

Posted By: Bucky205

Re: Different Knots - 10/13/16 10:12 PM

I use a uni on almost everything. I have really bad eyesight and I can tie it by feel.
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Different Knots - 03/06/17 07:34 PM

How would you know if you actually broke a knot? There is really no way.
Posted By: mman

Re: Different Knots - 04/11/17 07:48 AM

At an Elite series event, I tied my knot and had it tested on a Berkley machine and won a free hat because it exceeded their 20 pound mark (on their supplied 10 lb test). When it broke, around 22 or 23 lbs, the line broke several inches from the knot. I watched others for a while and not one person tying the Palomar won a hat. Most of those knots broke around the 17 lb mark.

It's a clinch knot, but with the line doubled. It's very similar to the braid knot and looks like the braid knot when it is finished. It's very fast and easy to tie and easy to take off the eye of the lure. It's my go to knot, for sure.

I double the line and run it through the eye, make 5 full twists of the lure/hook, and then run it back through the gap in the line close to the eye, wet it, then cinch it down, cut the tag ends.

The number of twists that I use depends on the thickness of the line. I like to put at least 5 full twists, except for very heavy line. With light line, I may use 7 or so twists.
Posted By: mman

Re: Different Knots - 04/11/17 07:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Reloader79

If the line is very curly, you can sometimes know if it broke at the knot. If the line is straight, then you can guess it was somewhere on the line and not the knot.
Posted By: Bucky205

Re: Different Knots - 05/22/17 07:57 PM

For going braid to leader an FG is hard to beat. Top water gets a Rapala Loop. Everything else an improved clinch. I like the Palomar a lot but my blind ass has trouble tying it. When I go to pass the loop over the bait I always hang up in the trebles.
Posted By: bassbruiser

Re: Different Knots - 06/12/17 08:29 PM

I use palomar knot for everything very tough and quick to tie.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Different Knots - 09/11/17 04:20 PM

Anyone use a Surgeons knot to attach fluor to braid? Results?
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Different Knots - 03/02/20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by IDOT

I use the Alberto knot as well and I just discovered a new take on it called the "Improved Alberto."

Check this guy out.

Posted By: gtaylor

Re: Different Knots - 06/22/20 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Reloader79

Curly end of the line? Always what I thought
© 2024 ALDEER.COM