Aldeer.com

Fish ID

Posted By: GomerPyle

Fish ID - 03/18/23 11:14 PM

Best pic I got

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hammerhead

Re: Fish ID - 03/18/23 11:16 PM

Looks like a chain pickeral (heard them also called southern pike, grass pike, jack, or jack fish down here)
Posted By: quailman

Re: Fish ID - 03/18/23 11:21 PM

Chain Pickerel.

Or what us rednecks call a Jackfish.

Re: Fish ID - 03/18/23 11:23 PM

They love live Brim for bait too.
Posted By: Peach

Re: Fish ID - 03/18/23 11:39 PM

Jack fish or chain pickerel. We have plenty of them in our river system. They bite better in colder months and love live bait. Delicious to eat but google how to clean them first.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Fish ID - 03/18/23 11:50 PM

Youre supposed to be posting pictures of a turkey and we get a pickrel?

Re: Fish ID - 03/19/23 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Peach
Jack fish or chain pickerel. We have plenty of them in our river system. They bite better in colder months and love live bait. Delicious to eat but google how to clean them first.

Yeah they got some bones in em. We used to catch em all the time on Escambia River.
Posted By: daylate

Re: Fish ID - 03/19/23 02:28 PM

trash fish that will cut off your $12.00 spinnerbait. Damn things get big on the Escambia. For the life of me, I cannot understand why the Pike and the Musky are such sought after fish up North. No thank you. I WOULD love to go up there and catch some walleye though.
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: Fish ID - 03/19/23 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by daylate
trash fish that will cut off your $12.00 spinnerbait. Damn things get big on the Escambia. For the life of me, I cannot understand why the Pike and the Musky are such sought after fish up North. No thank you. I WOULD love to go up there and catch some walleye though.

Well.....those Yankees say grits are no good no matter how you fix them. BUT.....they'll walk a mile for a Bowl of Hominy. Here's your sign....
Posted By: JPink

Re: Fish ID - 03/19/23 03:21 PM

Grew up catching these in the Pine Barrens of NJ. Pickerel are blast to catch and have a vicious strike. Anything shiny that's moving fast, or live bait will get the job done. Definitely a slimy fish though, so have a towel nearby.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Fish ID - 03/19/23 05:54 PM

Yep, chain pickerel. Actually good to eat if you can deal with the Y bonez
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Fish ID - 03/19/23 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JPink
Grew up catching these in the Pine Barrens of NJ. Pickerel are blast to catch and have a vicious strike. Anything shiny that's moving fast, or live bait will get the job done. Definitely a slimy fish though, so have a towel nearby.

This one bit a white chatter bait. And he hit it like a freight train. The he fought I thought I had a decent bass. I can’t imagine what it would be like to fight a full grown one
Posted By: EmeraldTides

Re: Fish ID - 03/20/23 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by daylate

Cause pike and musky get 30+ pounds up there. I bet they would be awesome to catch! (Though based on what I've heard from my northern friends most of them love walleye and hate pike, so it's a select few that actually target them. I don't know why muskies are different)
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Fish ID - 03/20/23 02:55 AM

If you can catch a decent sized one they are pretty good to eat you just have to gash them like a sucker because as others have said they have a lot of bones.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Fish ID - 03/20/23 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by quailman
Originally Posted by Peach

Yeah they got some bones in em. We used to catch em all the time on Escambia River.

I've impaled my mouth before eating this fish.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM