Aldeer.com

PSA for snapper season

Posted By: geeb1

PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 12:20 PM

Went with some friends this past weekend for some gulf fishing. Friend lives in FL but we traveled thru Perdido pass. All of us had our licenses, we thought. We never fished in Al waters. Caught a limit of snapper between the six of us. On the way back thru the pass, pulled over by the GW. Said everyone had to have an Al license, one our friends only had a fl license, he got a ticket for not having an Al license and possession of illegal fish. They confiscated two of the snapper. The FL and Al seasons are a little different. Just make sure that you have both licenses and snapper is in season in both states. Rant over
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 01:48 PM

I don't understand how you can get a ticket for "fishing without an AL license" when the fish were caught in FL. That don't make sense to me...

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 02:02 PM

We were told in possession of snapper in Al waters, requires an Al license, I don't get it either. FL and Al seasons are different so anyone coming thru the pass should check both states regulations

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 03:26 PM

I know there are a lot of weird rules/laws about snapper...but that just don't sound right (maybe it is). I'd at least question it before I paid that fine.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 03:43 PM

He can fight it. It’s where the fish are landed. If the fish were caught in FL water, are going to be taken off the boat in FL water, and the boat never stops in AL waters, you’re legal.
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 04:22 PM

Not so.. if you come in Alabama waters you must have a Alabama license and do the snapper check within 24 hrs. Perdido pass is Alabama waters.

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by RCHRR
Not so.. if you come in Alabama waters you must have a Alabama license and do the snapper check within 24 hrs. Perdido pass is Alabama waters.

well, if so.....that's stupid.........but it's not surprising
Posted By: Tree Dweller

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 04:53 PM

[Linked Image]

grin
Posted By: jb20

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 05:04 PM

That doesn't make much sense, I believe if I was a warden I'd let that slide as long as he had a fishing license from either state...
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 05:12 PM

Nope. They will bust that arse. Ex Brother-in-law got ticketed for the same thing right after snapper check was implemented.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 05:27 PM

That’s not true. As long as AL snapper season is open, you are allowed to transport through AL waters. As long as they were caught AND landed in FL waters, you do not need an AL license. They went through this multiple times two years ago. The DCNR has stated it’s ok plenty of times. If challenged in court, the angler would win.
Posted By: hallb

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer

That’s not true. As long as AL snapper season is open, you are allowed to transport through AL waters. As long as they were caught AND landed in FL waters, you do not need an AL license. They went through this multiple times two years ago. The DCNR has stated it’s ok plenty of times. If challenged in court, the angler would win.

I don't believe this is the case. What about if you fished in AL waters but came in thru Pensacola Pass and FL season wasn't in yet? Over here in Pcola, seems general consensus is if you possess the fish in AL waters, you better have AL license and better be snapper season in AL.
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 05:44 PM

Okay.....let's clear this up. I fish out of Fort Morgan and usually fish due south of ALABAMA in FEDERAL waters. I have an Alabama License. But let's say I decide when I finish to head due East and Dock in Destin, Florida with these fish on Board. Warden stops me in the pass and asks for my license....I say I Was fishing due south of Alabama....just came over to see a friend....I don't have a Florida License. All he has to go on is that I am HERE NOW in Florida waters. How does he know that I might be lying about where I caught my fish....that I possibly caught them just South of Destin? All the states' Laws say when you enter THERE State Waters with Fish on Board you must be in possession of that STATE'S LICENSE....Period. Same deal should I go west into Miss. or La. state waters. Law makes perfect sense to me!!
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 06:21 PM

B'hmam fred what's ur ruling?. Me I quit fishing the gulf too expensive and too much regulation . Ps.fl started all this stuff
Posted By: Showout

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 07:37 PM

A ton of tickets have been written over the last few years for this exact scenario. This is not a rogue GW. This has held up in court. I am not agreeing in principle, just stating fact.

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/27/22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Showout
A ton of tickets have been written over the last few years for this exact scenario. This is not a rogue GW. This has held up in court. I am not agreeing in principle, just stating fact.

Yes, Perdido Pass is a pinch point for tickets I bet.
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: PSA for snapper season - 06/28/22 01:46 AM

Saw someone get a ticket on beach bum for out of season snapper there
© 2024 ALDEER.COM