Aldeer.com

Mayflies

Posted By: ridgestalker

Mayflies - 06/20/22 10:52 PM

I can’t remember the last time I saw the gas pumps covered and the water churning on the north end of Guntersville? I fish hard right after turkey season and haven’t seen it in years. I can remember it as a yearly thing growing up.
Posted By: klay

Re: Mayflies - 06/20/22 11:07 PM

Its about time. I never understood why they were called May flies. It seems like it's usually the end of June into July.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Mayflies - 06/20/22 11:18 PM

They were out a couple weeks ago above Gadsden. Big ones. Catfish were swimming around with their mouths out of the water slurping them up
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Mayflies - 06/21/22 12:52 AM

They will be here

Re: Mayflies - 06/21/22 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by ridgestalker
I can’t remember the last time I saw the gas pumps covered and the water churning on the north end of Guntersville? I fish hard right after turkey season and haven’t seen it in years. I can remember it as a yearly thing growing up.

They blanketed the world here last year on the north side of the river
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Mayflies - 06/21/22 02:55 AM

I live about 2 miles from the lake and they usually swarm in my garage around the lights but I haven't seen them in there yet but a ton of them hit my windshield from the time i pulled out of my driveway for several miles going to work this morning.
Posted By: Coosa buck

Re: Mayflies - 06/21/22 11:45 AM

A few weeks ago on the lower end of Neely they were as thick as I’ve ever seen them.
Posted By: James

Re: Mayflies - 06/21/22 02:55 PM

Still piles of them sum$@$$ at camp and they smell disgusting 🤢 Smells like a bunch of dead skrimps 🤮🤣
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Mayflies - 06/21/22 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa buck
A few weeks ago on the lower end of Neely they were as thick as I’ve ever seen them.

I have been on Neely since 1978 and I have never saw them as thick as they were two weekends ago. A friend of mine called me about 8:30 Saturday night and he said you could barely see the boat ramp under the new SS bridge for all of them swarming the light.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Mayflies - 06/21/22 06:26 PM

They were mats of them floating on the south end of Guntersville when I was there this weekend.
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: Mayflies - 06/21/22 08:05 PM

There were a bunch at howtons last night during the tournament..every boathouse was covered with them.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Mayflies - 06/21/22 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by metalmuncher

They were mats of them floating on the south end of Guntersville when I was there this weekend.

That’s what I’m getting at haven’t seen any up above Mudcreek in a long time.
Posted By: Bcbama260

Re: Mayflies - 06/23/22 11:28 PM

Barges and buildings covered at the port at Nucor. Had to do some work down there Tuesday and they was everywhere
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Mayflies - 06/24/22 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by klay
Its about time. I never understood why they were called May flies. It seems like it's usually the end of June into July.

We always called them willow flies…
Posted By: Bronco 74

Re: Mayflies - 06/25/22 05:34 AM

Yes willow flys. Take a cane ole with a popping bug. Wear out the bream.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Mayflies - 06/26/22 02:37 AM

Man I was at lay years ago and came across a huge bush that was loaded with them and some falling into the water. Was afeeding frenzy under the bush of fish popping the top. Pulled up and shook a bunch of the willowflies into the boat and then just baited them up and fished straight down. Caught bream, a couple big spots and some cats. Man there were fish everywhere.

Re: Mayflies - 06/26/22 02:43 AM

Well..if you find folks old enough..youll hear them called mayfly,junefly,julyfly..cause thems the months they hatch mostly..but yeh willerfly..thats what most folks ive heard do callem..my grandaddy called them julyflys mostly
© 2024 ALDEER.COM