Aldeer.com

Fresh water eel?

Posted By: Darrylcom

Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 01:57 AM

I could swear I saw one 35 years ago on the warrior river about a mile upriver from the Hwy 269 bridge. Is this possible? I was a kid so it may have been a deformed catfish. I can’t remember seeing one ever again. Let me know…
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 02:01 AM

There used to be some in the Locust fork. Daddy caught a pretty good one when i was a kid. An old friend of mine said they caught em pretty regular decades ago.

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 02:04 AM

Doesn’t locust fork drain to the black warrior with no locks in between? Haven’t been out that way in many moons.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 03:03 AM

My dad used to catch em out of the Coosa before the dams were built
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 03:38 AM

Seen a couple of them below Guntersville a bunch of years ago. Slimy nasty things they are. 😬
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 06:49 AM

Got into the eels and blackfish some years ago when I fished in North Florida and South Alabama. Some spots nothing but those species at certain times of the year. Their high numbers had to hurt the local fish. I would classify both as evasive species and suggest all wiped out if possible. When you hook up with a 3 foot eel their pull is a unique pull and you immediately want to start cussing cause you know you have one of those slimy !@#$$'s on. Usually, might as well pack up and go home, cause if they are in an area most other fish are hiding! We would use a lightweight bream hook and hope they straightened it or broke the line. If not, when one got to the boat you could try snatching it off. Nothing no more funny that seeing someone trying to bring it up to the boat and remove the hook with a pair of pliers. If it comes in the boat it slimes everything! If it rolls up your arm you will have a come apart. Can't hardly get that slime off. They are a delicacy in certain parts and foreigners will pay good money. Funny stories in past watching folks deal with eels! Did I say I hate those !@#$$%'s!
Posted By: Haws9

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 10:01 AM

I caught one on the Conecuh river this spring while running hooks for catfish. I have pictures but I’m not sure how to post them on here off of my phone lol

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Darrylcom
Doesn’t locust fork drain to the black warrior with no locks in between? Haven’t been out that way in many moons.

Yes
Posted By: gman

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 11:22 AM

Been years, but i do remember eels being caught in decatur.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 11:49 AM

Plenty of freshwater eels
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 11:52 AM

Years ago you could take a deep net and catch 1000s if wanted them at Jordan damn . They'd try to run up the spill way on the damn .

Damn we caught the fish at the bottom of that damn back then.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 01:49 PM

I've caught 2-3 the past year or so on the Alabama fishing for catfish. The State biologists were wanting specimens so I saved it and froze it. Emailed them about submitting it and never heard a word.
Posted By: Blackwater_Reb

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 02:11 PM

This was caught on Blackwater at the Scout Camp in Walker County, just down the creek from us, about a month ago. It does drain into the Mulberry Fork of the Black Warrior...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: blade

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 03:47 PM

used to catch them all the time bottom fishing on the Alabama river, but that was a long time ago..
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 05:44 PM

You find the right holes in the Pea or Conecuh you can catch a mess of them.
Posted By: handihunter

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 06:49 PM

Use to catch the heck out of them in a creek that ran through the property I grew up on. My step-granddad use to eat every one I caught.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 09:32 PM

I caught one once. If I remember right I think I caught it on a cricket.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by handihunter
Use to catch the heck out of them in a creek that ran through the property I grew up on. My step-granddad use to eat every one I caught.

He must have been one hungry son of a gun.

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by metalmuncher

I heard they are ok as long as you eat them hot
Posted By: jb20

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 11:06 PM

Don't eat em rare you'll die...blood is poisonous
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 11:19 PM

Caught one out of the cahaba near 280 about 25 years ago. Nasty thing. So slippery you couldn't hardly hold it unless you wrapped it in a towel.
Posted By: blade

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/24/22 11:44 PM

We would carry bread bags with us, drop them in the bag, cut the line and tie the bag shut. Take them home and freeze them. When you wanted to use them for bait, take one out, get your hook back, and while still frozen cut it cross ways with a hack saw into 3/8” thick rings. Made great trot line bait.
Posted By: Shotts

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 12:54 AM

Caught several out of Buttahtchee lake my grandfather actually had a glove for taking them off the hook were about elbow length and had these weird looking aluminum grippers on the fingers was bright orange.
Posted By: handihunter

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 04:44 AM

He was a highly educated, smarter than his on good, weird fellow. LOL!!! But was fun to hang around with as a kid.

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77

I heard they are ok as long as you eat them hot

Funny you say this. I was told that if you don’t eat them hot they go back to raw. Is this what you heard too? I’m not testing it though.
Posted By: low wall

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 11:24 AM

We caught and ate them regularly on the Warrior as I was growing up. Not much different than a catfish.
Their blood is poisonous? Yeah, and if you pick at a splinter with a pin, not a needle, you'll get blood poisoning, because pins are brass, and brass is poisonous.
Tell me another one.
Posted By: Buckwheat

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 01:17 PM

Caught several in Chewacla Creek in th' early 70's.....just above Lake Ogletree.....Lee County, Ala.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 01:21 PM

Grew up on Warrior river and caught so many of those things
We ate them or we threw them back
I do remember they tasted much better when hot out of the grease and not so much when cold
Posted By: CCC

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 01:39 PM

A cobia or a big snapper will slurp one of those down when rigged on a hook alive. use a dry paper towel as a disposable gripper.
Posted By: Lvlhdd

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 02:46 PM

When I would catfish with my grandfather around lock 5 we caught a bunch of them. He had a piece of 2x6 with a hole drilled in the center and a slot cut out to slide the line through. Would pull the head through and "separate" them as he called it. He hated them. Also took a .22 revolver with rat shot when he didn't want to fool with the board.
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 06:14 PM

Million dollar lake had some in the 60's and 70's before it got drained -mean any ugly
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by CCC
A cobia or a big snapper will slurp one of those down when rigged on a hook alive. use a dry paper towel as a disposable gripper.

Yes, indeed they will. Get a bucket of sand and a shop rag. Drop eel in sand, sand will coat him and make him easy to hold, grab him behind the head with shop rag and insert 6/0 owner mutu light circle hook under his chin and out through the snout. Throw him in front of a cruising cobia or send him down on a piece of hard bottom or structure and hang on.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 07:51 PM

A friend caught one years ago around guntersville or tenn river. Maybe a foot long. I have never seen one since.
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/25/22 08:03 PM

what about the Asian carps ☠
Posted By: johnv

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/26/22 01:08 PM

I see them on the New Hope side below Guntersville dam certain times of the year. I figure they are mating or spawning because ill see alot
Posted By: CD

Re: Fresh water eel? - 05/30/22 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by johnv
I see them on the New Hope side below Guntersville dam certain times of the year. I figure they are mating or spawning because ill see alot

A guy posted a pic on FB of one caught at the dam just a day or two ago. The page is Guntersville Dam Wall Fishing. I’ve never seen one.
Posted By: woodduck

Re: Fresh water eel? - 06/04/22 03:23 AM

Use to catch them fairly regular running trot lines years ago on the tombigbee. Those slimy things will throw a hook in you quick
Posted By: 10 POINT

Re: Fresh water eel? - 06/04/22 09:03 PM

same on the Choctawhatchee River too.
Posted By: Dangerlangus

Re: Fresh water eel? - 06/05/22 07:13 AM

I catch them on Bankhead where valley creek flows into the main river all the time. They fight like no other.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM