Aldeer.com

Dock Shooting

Posted By: GomerPyle

Dock Shooting - 05/11/22 02:08 AM

What kind of setup y’all like for shooting docks? I had a cheap little 5’ spinning combo I used but I broke the rod before I got good at it. Need to replace it.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Dock Shooting - 05/11/22 02:11 AM

Interested in hearing responses as well.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Dock Shooting - 05/11/22 02:44 AM

Cheapest rod walmart makes an a little cardinal or cheap flueger..you aint gotta spend a bunch..its technique. Ever crappie rod i got aint worth $50..an theyll all do it just fine..i like a 1/32..bout the middle of the road jig weight..but I prefer it because its the easiest to find and it shoots on 4 or 6lb test well..you can get fancy as you want ..but it aint necessary
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Dock Shooting - 05/11/22 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1
Cheapest rod walmart makes an a little cardinal or cheap flueger..you aint gotta spend a bunch..its technique. Ever crappie rod i got aint worth $50..an theyll all do it just fine..i like a 1/32..bout the middle of the road jig weight..but I prefer it because its the easiest to find and it shoots on 4 or 6lb test well..you can get fancy as you want ..but it aint necessary

What length rod you go for?
Posted By: snakebit

Re: Dock Shooting - 05/11/22 11:41 AM

I have a couple that I use to shoot with.
The BnM Sharpshooter 6 (6') or a Lews Mr. Crappie Speed Shooter 7'
Each have spinning reels on them with 6 lb test
I have 3 of the speed shooter setups with different weights on them (1/16, 1/24, 1/32)
And I keep a 1/16 on both of the the bnms.
I got the speed shooter for almost half the price they are now.
Since they are in the same ballpark pricewise I would go with the bnm no doubt.
I always use weedless hooks too when shooting.
I have also shot with some of the cheapest spinning combos I could get at walmart and they work but boy is there a difference in distance I can get with these other two poles.
Posted By: oldforester

Re: Dock Shooting - 05/11/22 12:11 PM

I like the BnM Sharpshooter 6 as well. 8 lb. braid.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Dock Shooting - 05/11/22 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle
Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1

What length rod you go for?

Idk.. maybe 5ft..i just pick the rod up..an it feels good an limber..i dont think ive read the length on any of my poles..they 4’8’’ to 5ft id guess tho. Sling shottn aint somethin i set out to do when im fishin..it just happens to be a way to get up under stuff easier..id way rather make a normal cast
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Dock Shooting - 05/11/22 10:04 PM

I like a 6' rod. Fast, whippy tip and some backbone. Don't worry about how sensitive the rod is, you aren't gonna feel most of em anyway. Yellow line and watch it. If the line does anything you didn't make it do, set the hook.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM