Aldeer.com

Fish ID From Cahaba River

Posted By: William

Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/07/22 11:41 PM

[Linked Image]

This is what they are eating. Anyone know what this is? Wife caught several LM today which is weird and they all spit one of these up.
Posted By: getting old

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/08/22 12:31 AM

Looks like some species of darter to me.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/08/22 12:59 AM

Blackbanded darter?
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/08/22 01:58 AM

Yellow perch?
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/08/22 07:17 AM

Logperch darter
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/08/22 02:21 PM

Pick one.

darters
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/08/22 03:50 PM

Think it’s a log perch.
Posted By: Tree Dweller

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/08/22 05:07 PM

[Linked Image]

Al Gore is on the way to Alabama.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/08/22 07:32 PM

I don't know the minnow, but I'm impressed that you are catching LM on the Cahaba. We didn't catch very many of them even back in the 60s. All of my fishing has been below Centreville; are you fishing above it?
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/08/22 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
Think it’s a log perch.

Yupp
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/09/22 01:53 AM

I agree, log perch. But, look at the distribution from this survey. It’s supposed to be a North Alabama fish. There are a few other perches in this book but they are scattered other areas and don’t look as similar to this. Interesting!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/09/22 01:57 AM

Nevermind “Mobile Log Perch” …

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/09/22 01:52 PM

I snagged one of these at the dam last weekend and had no idea wth it was.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/10/22 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by IDOT

A lot of the guys up there at Guntersville call them "crawley bottoms". They hug the underwear concrete and rocks around the dam.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/10/22 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by metalmuncher
Originally Posted by IDOT

A lot of the guys up there at Guntersville call them "crawley bottoms". They hug the underwear concrete and rocks around the dam.

Can’t believe after all these years I catch one the same time some other goob on Aldeer does grin

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/10/22 11:31 AM

Way above Centerville. We catch them from time to time, but they are rare. I caught one close to 5 lbs one day. My wife has caught several close to 3 lbs. She caught two back to back and they both spit one of these up. Fish were about 2 lbs each.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/10/22 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by William
Way above Centerville. We catch them from time to time, but they are rare. I caught one close to 5 lbs one day. My wife has caught several close to 3 lbs. She caught two back to back and they both spit one of these up. Fish were about 2 lbs each.

That's cool that the river has largemouth in it that get that big. Good luck catching some more of them!

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/12/22 07:40 PM

I have a neighbor that's in his 70's. He a retired biology teacher from UAB. He claims that one year they caught a bunch of LM on the river above the 280 dam. He said they caught one close to 8 or 9 lbs. He said that it flooded a lot that year and he felt like a pond over flowed or something? I've always wanted to put a legit boat with some electronics in at 280 and see what was in that lake. Flipping the log jams would be fun too.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/13/22 12:45 AM

This is lies all lies!!! there is No fish in the Cahaba. They shocked em All And Threw them on the bank a while back. whistle popcorn

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/13/22 09:57 PM

[Linked Image]

I'll be throwing this all summer.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/13/22 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by William
I have a neighbor that's in his 70's. He a retired biology teacher from UAB. He claims that one year they caught a bunch of LM on the river above the 280 dam. He said they caught one close to 8 or 9 lbs. He said that it flooded a lot that year and he felt like a pond over flowed or something? I've always wanted to put a legit boat with some electronics in at 280 and see what was in that lake. Flipping the log jams would be fun too.

Back in the early 90's I was at that spillway just downstream of the 280 bridge and there is a high walkway you can look down into the tailrace section and I saw a largemouth that would push 10 pounds laying in the slack water. Biggest bass I ever seen in real life. I didn't have a rod but pointed the fish out to a guy and he cast to it and it spooked never to be seen again. I have caught spots up to 4 pounds north of 280.
Posted By: CCC

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/14/22 01:17 PM

Be careful hanging around that 280 bridge and the parking area. Don’t talk to dudes sitting in cars by themselves and don’t go walking in the woods looking around the bushes nearby….

Re: Fish ID From Cahaba River - 05/16/22 09:42 PM

[Linked Image]

Wife caught this one this weekend. Guessed 3+.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM