Aldeer.com

Lake Eufauls

Posted By: BassCat

Lake Eufauls - 08/25/21 03:54 PM

Only been to Eufaula twice in my life and that was many years go to Lake Point State Park. My wife wants to go fish somewhere other than the coosa river and spend the night. I suggested Eufaula. Anyone know of a nice, clean place to stay on the water with a boat ramp? Or a nice clean place to stay period with a boat ramp near by? I would like a place that I could leave boat hooked to truck and charge batteries over night. We plan on going September 18-19.

Thanks
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/25/21 04:10 PM

White Oak may have cabins around the campground. There’s a boat launch in the park. It’s on the south end of the lake.
Posted By: Stripe

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/25/21 04:23 PM

You should think about going north not south. Lake Wheeler is great this time of year. Smallmouth will be schooling early then you can hit the grass for some monster largemouth. If you follow the river up toward Guntersville dam there’s tons of wood that’s never been flipped.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/25/21 07:21 PM

Lake point just remodeled the lodge not long ago and is where I’d stay.

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 01:16 AM

Stripe,

If we did decide to go to Wheeler, where would you suggest staying? What area of the lake? I have never been to wheeler.
Posted By: Coosa buck

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 01:44 AM

The just remolded a lot of the cabins at lake point very good place to stay and they have been eating

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by BassCat
Stripe,

If we did decide to go to Wheeler, where would you suggest staying? What area of the lake? I have never been to wheeler.

Decatur Harbor is a good midpoint to fish out of. Great launch easy access safe and free. Plenty of hotels nearby.

I had a cabin at the mouth of Pataula Creek on Eufaula for 10 years. You couldn’t drag me down there in September.

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stripe
Stripe,

Decatur Harbor is a good midpoint to fish out of. Great launch easy access safe and free. Plenty of hotels nearby.

I had a cabin at the mouth of Pataula Creek on Eufaula for 10 years. You couldn’t drag me down there in September.

What is it you don’t like about Eufaula in Sept.?

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 01:22 PM

The lower end where I stayed was a Dead Sea that time of year. Most of the fish were on the ledges and
there’s to many miles of water. Up river it could be a different story maybe some grass. I never fished that end.
Posted By: chillinhunt

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 02:42 PM

Stay at Joe Wheeler State Park. Get you a cast net and drift the Wheeler Dam tailrace with live shad. Smallmouth city. Check the generation schedule and be sure to go when the turbines are open. More current=much better fishing.

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by chillinhunt
Stay at Joe Wheeler State Park. Get you a cast net and drift the Wheeler Dam tailrace with live shad. Smallmouth city. Check the generation schedule and be sure to go when the turbines are open. More current=much better fishing.

A man that runs a Basscat can’t throw a cast net. Want to know why? Because he doesn’t want to.😁

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 03:23 PM

Not sure what brand of boat you own dictates your use of a cast net and really don't care but hope you enjoy your trip wherever that may be.

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 04:31 PM

A man that runs a Basscat can’t throw a cast net. Want to know why? Because he doesn’t want to.😁

I owned a Basscat for 18yrs. Now I own a Triton. I don’t use live bait anyway. I love the joy of artificial lures 😀

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 04:32 PM

Wheeler is closed for renovations

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 04:35 PM

I owned a Basscat for 18yrs. Now I own a Triton. I don’t use live bait anyway. I love the joy of artificial lures 😀

I tried to tell you.✌️

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 05:03 PM

Wheeler is closed for renovations

Even the lakeside cabins? I didn't think the tarnader got them.

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 05:11 PM

I love using artificials as well and you can catch your fair share on 4" smoke color grubs and swim baits in the tailrace. Drifting live shad has been a September/October thing on Wheeler for decades. My wife likes fishing as long as they're biting but your gal may be a lot more patient than mine.

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 06:34 PM

I’ve fished Wilson and Pickwick a couple of times in March/April past two yrs ago. Only caught 1 small mouth. Managed a decent amount of LM though.

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 06:45 PM

I’ve fished Wilson and Pickwick a couple of times in March/April past two yrs ago. Only caught 1 small mouth. Managed a decent amount of LM though.

October is prime time for Smallmouth on the upper end of Pickwick and November on the middle section towards Natchez Trace and Waterloo.
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/26/21 11:11 PM

October is prime time for Smallmouth on the upper end of Pickwick and November on the middle section towards Natchez Trace and Waterloo.

I would love to catch a giant smallmouth. That and a 4lb crappie would be the only fish I would ever mount.

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/27/21 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by FreeStateHunter

I would love to catch a giant smallmouth. That and a 4lb crappie would be the only fish I would ever mount.

Pickwick and Wilson have some giants. An October/November trip on the humps from Koger Island Down to Riverton would be a good place to start for your smallmouth.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Lake Eufauls - 08/27/21 04:05 PM

After the last 2 years flooding had flattened every hump from yellow creek to the cypress creek

Re: Lake Eufauls - 09/14/21 12:29 PM

OK so the wife and I decided not to go anywhere this weekend for her birthday. Instead we decided to wait until the water temp cools off a bit for more fish to move shallow. I think we have decided to go to Pickwick, Wilson or Wheeler in October and spend a couple days trying to catch small mouth. Any tips on what's good water temps for smallmouth, which lake to go to, what section of the lake and what baits to throw at them? I've caught two in my life and it was just junk fishing.
Posted By: T72

Re: Lake Eufauls - 09/14/21 01:02 PM

I would go to Wheeler. I have had my best luck there.

Re: Lake Eufauls - 09/14/21 01:42 PM

First time up hit Wheeler. Much easier to figure out. Lower 1/3 is best for smallies pea gravel banks near Elk River will be hot. Remember their just Spots with a tan. Hit the same stuff in the same type areas.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Lake Eufauls - 09/14/21 04:55 PM

Stripe is right.

Go stay at Joe Wheeler State Park, enjoy the park, fish all in there and Elk, gawk at all the shad, catch smallies. October is great. Probably will see a lot of deer in the park, too.

Re: Lake Eufauls - 09/15/21 02:18 PM

Made reservations at the park for Oct. 14-16. Hope the weather is nice.
Posted By: jaderhold

Re: Lake Eufauls - 09/16/21 03:56 PM

I'd go to Wilson below Wheeler dam and drift the tuffies in the tail race for smallmouths. You may catch a ton of drum but that's where I would attempt to catch smallmouths.

Re: Lake Eufauls - 09/16/21 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by jaderhold
I'd go to Wilson below Wheeler dam and drift the tuffies in the tail race for smallmouths. You may catch a ton of drum but that's where I would attempt to catch smallmouths.

🥱🥱🥱

Re: Lake Eufauls - 09/18/21 03:22 AM

Yea, I’ve got a good friend that lives in Decatur. Yesterday I told him I was coming up to fish mid October on Wheeler. He said I should fish tailrace on Wilson as well. I’ll probably fish Wheeler on day and Wilson on or two days since I’ve never fished Wheeler.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM