Aldeer.com

Hair jigs

Posted By: Beadlescomb

Hair jigs - 01/25/21 04:25 AM

Anyone here throw them for bass? It's something I'm about to put into rotation and I'm just wondering about the ins and outs of them
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Hair jigs - 01/25/21 05:45 AM

Have for Smallmouth on Wheeler.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Hair jigs - 01/25/21 12:03 PM

One of the few lures I have no use for. I just cant get a bite of them.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Hair jigs - 01/25/21 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
One of the few lures I have no use for. I just cant get a bite of them.

I got two bites on one at Logan Saturday and it was tough tough for us
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Hair jigs - 01/25/21 06:32 PM

Should work well at warrior. Work very well at pickwick. Current and grass, very well around shad spawn
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Hair jigs - 01/26/21 09:28 AM

Beadle, I am not big into spot fishing, but if I was I would check out the ones at Lake Purdy's bait shop on in B'ham. A local guy ties and sales them and they seem like they would work.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Hair jigs - 01/26/21 04:31 PM

Where is Lake Purdy bait shop?
Posted By: chillinhunt

Re: Hair jigs - 01/26/21 07:17 PM

1/8 oz black/blue, purple/red and brown/orange are smallmouth killers on Wheeler, Wilson and Pickwick. Especially back in the day when you could tip them with an Uncle Josh 101 pork trailer. I've never caught any big largemouth on them.
Posted By: Spot

Re: Hair jigs - 01/26/21 09:34 PM

Chillinhunt you didn't happen to buy from ole Charlie Mac did you? He tied some good ones, and made some great spinner baits also. I used to love going to see him before a good night time small mouth trip.

Re: Hair jigs - 01/27/21 02:31 AM

No. I used Hoppy's for a while and then started tying crude looking (but effective) jigs with dyed bucktails. I can't remember the brand but some local sold hair jigs at Elk River Bait and Tackle on 72 in Rogerville and I had pretty good luck on them. I used, and still use a Bumblebee spinnerbait at night with Hildebrandt vinyl skirts and their Colorado blades. I tried to order skirts from Hildebrandt last summer and they said they were so far behind they couldn't guarantee my order would ever get made and shipped. And I really wish someone would start making a pork rind bait again.
Posted By: jaderhold

Re: Hair jigs - 01/27/21 02:36 AM

https://www.acmetackle.com/collections/uncle-josh-1/products/pork-frog?variant=33401232195670

Re: Hair jigs - 01/27/21 02:40 AM

Well I guess I can start using my hoarded stash of the old ones. $3 a pop isn't cheap but neither is $1 a round right now for 5.56. Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Hair jigs - 01/27/21 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dixiepatriot

Near Inverness right out of Birmingham.
https://www.lakepurdyfishing.com/
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Hair jigs - 01/27/21 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dixiepatriot

3780 Boat Launch Rd, Birmingham, AL 35242
© 2024 ALDEER.COM