Aldeer.com

Cahaba River at 280

Posted By: William

Cahaba River at 280 - 11/13/20 03:26 PM

I bought a little jon boat off my neighbor for cheap. Anyway, my wife and I fish the river all the time above and below 280. I'm going to try and check it out this weekend, but it looks like one might be able to get a little jon boat in underneath the 280 bridge. I don't have a dump trailer, but it looks like the bank is clear enough and low enough on one side to back this thing in enough to get it off the trailer. Anyone have any experience with this? I'd love to be able to get this little boat down there with my Hummingbird and find some cool stuff. Guessing there are some monster, untapped spotted bass in there.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/13/20 03:32 PM

Probably some strong young men there to "lend you a hand"

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/13/20 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by wew3006

That's the other side of the 280 bridge. Both sides of the bridge on the upriver portion of the 280 bridge look like you might be able to get a boat in. I know it's not an official launch, but looks promising.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/13/20 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by wew3006

This
Posted By: chad1980

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/13/20 07:07 PM

careful around them parts. I hear the gheys like to hangout there and piddle
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/13/20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by chad1980

Whats the deal with this? I used to fish up there a lot. Has the spillway area become a gay hangout? Haven't been there in 20 years but used to catch some huge spots in that area. One day hooked and lost a huge largemouth too that woulda been pushing 8 or 9 pounds. Had no idea there were largemouth like that in there.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/13/20 08:21 PM

I tried to fish there maybe 10 years ago. Damn queers trolling all over the place so we left before I had to shoot one of them.... gun gun
Posted By: chad1980

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/13/20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
Originally Posted by chad1980

Whats the deal with this? I used to fish up there a lot. Has the spillway area become a gay hangout? Haven't been there in 20 years but used to catch some huge spots in that area. One day hooked and lost a huge largemouth too that woulda been pushing 8 or 9 pounds. Had no idea there were largemouth like that in there.

That is just what I hear, and been hearing it for about 15 years now. May not be that way anymore but I have heard plenty of stories.

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/13/20 08:57 PM

I hear that a lot. I've lived off of 280 for about 20 years now and this has always been a thing. I don't have any first hand experience with the people there, so I'm not sure.

There looks to be a very rough ramp looking area right about where the Little Cahaba comes in. Gonna check it out. I'd love to get my 16' boat on there with my Hummingbird side imaging and check that area out. It's essentially a small lake from there to Sicard Hollow Rd.

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/13/20 10:13 PM

Where are these dudes hanging out? THe spillway area? Man what a shame.
Posted By: Quack Quack Bang

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/14/20 01:07 PM

Assuming you fight thru the hook ups and the drug users (beware of needles and such), your only option is going upstream in a flat bottom boat. Not nearly enough water downstream for that boat

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/14/20 04:28 PM

Damn that used to be a nice area. WHat happened?

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/14/20 07:48 PM

queers found it
Posted By: HBWALKER14

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/16/20 02:55 PM

ive put in on the north side of the bridge a ton. Used to be a rope swing up there that we used to spend a lot of summer days at in highschool. Had 4 people in a 10ft jon boat and two dragging off the sides, boat loaded down with beers and women many times. oh how i miss the good ole days.

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/16/20 03:19 PM

I went there this weekend. On the north side of the bridge there is a great spot where you could easily back a small trailer in and get a flat bottom off. It needs a little improvement, but it's definitely do-able. The issue is parking. No way I'd do it on a weekend. There is only room for a single person to launch with a trailer. I may try it during the week like on a Monday or Tuesday......

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/16/20 03:28 PM

my brother Randy, a friend Jack Mears, and I put a canoe in right there back in 1968 er so. After we put in the police found two missing Homewood boys, dead, near there. My father and Jacks father came up the river at 1am looking for us and ended our campout.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/16/20 05:14 PM

You had me at big spotted bass them queers don't scare me none. Ain't like they going to put some kind of spell on you.

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/17/20 02:13 PM

Neighbor that I got the jon boat from claims to have caught an 8+ LM there one year flipping log jams. There are a ton of log jams down there right now.......
Posted By: Quack Quack Bang

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/17/20 07:31 PM

I’ve never had great luck on the Cahaba. Have caught a few LM and a few red eye and even 1 crappie on a crank bait but never slammed them on any trip
Posted By: jono23

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/17/20 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb
Ain't like they going to put some kind of spell on you.

Dang ol' gay wizards.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/17/20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by William
Neighbor that I got the jon boat from claims to have caught an 8+ LM there one year flipping log jams. There are a ton of log jams down there right now.......

With the way folks have been talking, sounds like an accurate statement laugh

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/18/20 12:30 AM

I saw a huge largemouth just below that old spillway south of the bridge one time. Just came up and then swam off. Had to have weighed over 6 or 7.
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Cahaba River at 280 - 11/18/20 12:35 AM

youall is crazy
© 2024 ALDEER.COM