Aldeer.com

Crappie fishkin question

Posted By: metalmuncher

Crappie fishkin question - 11/07/20 03:54 AM

I had to get my mind off of all the voter fraud and political BS for a while so this came to mind.

In cold months I often find myself dragging a spread of 1/32 oz crappie jigs tied 2 on each rod. At the speed I like to run it seems to me that the jigs are running 5 to 6 feet deep. I can't confirm that depth but based on the angle and the amount of line out, that's what depth it looks like.

Here's the question: All other things being unchanged, if I switch to say 1/16 oz jig-heads will they run at approximately twice the depth? Or 1/24 oz run at approximately 1-1/3 times the depth? Or will it affect depth completely differently, and if so how?
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Crappie fishkin question - 11/07/20 10:01 AM

I can't 100% answer that question but I can give you my theory.

IMO, it's not that easy to calculate. I use to pull double jigs but now I've started pulling singles. I can control the depth better. I know people who say they pull 2, 32nd's 8-10 feet deep at 1.2 mph but I think they are mistaken. I don't think they'll go over 4'-5' deep at that speed unless you've got out 100 yards of line and even then I'm not sure they'll go any deeper. I know when I pull over grass and can see the top of the grass on my down image that I can tell if they get grass depth and they rarely do.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Crappie fishkin question - 11/07/20 01:31 PM

Line size has alot to do with it.

Re: Crappie fishkin question - 11/07/20 02:55 PM

For the record I use 4lb line almost exclusively on my Crappie rods and try to keep my speed at a little under 1mph in most cases. And I agree Fur that 1.2 mph + 1/32 oz jigs does not = anywhere near 8-10 ft.

Whatever depth I'm running if I double the size of my jigs am I somewhat doubling the depth they are running?
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: Crappie fishkin question - 11/08/20 04:36 AM

I doubt the depth will double from 1/32 to 1/16. If you went from 4oz to 8 oz maybe. I think speed and the amount of line ha e a lot to do with it. My guess would be less than a foot at the same speed
Posted By: Tree Dweller

Re: Crappie fishkin question - 11/08/20 09:46 AM

I doubt it also. Wind, line, turning.

Seems like there is always one pole that slays em'.
One can try and mimic that pole if possible.
Sometimes though ,I think it's just juju.
Posted By: HappyHunter

Re: Crappie fishkin question - 11/08/20 11:24 AM

The jig body would also be part of the equation.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Crappie fishkin question - 11/08/20 05:11 PM

Probably more like 1.5 times the depth if I had to guess. I don't know all the variables involved to actually do the math so I can't be certain. They will be deeper but you'll have more line creating drag against the water causing them to angle up in the water column.

Re: Crappie fishkin question - 11/08/20 06:58 PM

Yes, I agree that there are so many variables that it would be nearly impossible to calculate.

Amount of line out and angle relative to the water
Coefficient of friction of the line
Line size
Distance of rod tip from water
Wind
Jig body drag
Current
Maybe even water temperature and clarity
And I'm certain that there are other factors we haven't thought about yet.

Too much to calculate precisely. I wonder if there is a chart or formula somewhere that would get close enough or if the only shortcut is experience.

Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Crappie fishkin question - 11/08/20 08:42 PM

gene the fishing machine says d= line dia x at od lure /water temp + color of the water-the boat speed
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Crappie fishkin question - 11/08/20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by metalmuncher
Yes, I agree that there are so many variables that it would be nearly impossible to calculate.

Amount of line out and angle relative to the water
Coefficient of friction of the line
Line size
Distance of rod tip from water
Wind
Jig body drag
Current
Maybe even water temperature and clarity
And I'm certain that there are other factors we haven't thought about yet.

Too much to calculate precisely. I wonder if there is a chart or formula somewhere that would get close enough or if the only shortcut is experience.

There's a chart, but from my experience it's not worth a flip. I can find a link to it if you want to see it, but I don't use it. I just let out line til I start hitting the bottom, then reel in from there. And I'll add if the fish are more than 5-6 feet deep I pull single jigs. From my experience it's easier to get them deeper than doubles. Unless the eelgrass mysteriously dies out, I'm afraid that longlining on Guntersville will soon be a thing of the past. That's the most aggravating crap I've ever dealt with while fishing.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM