Aldeer.com

Night fishing

Posted By: DryFire

Night fishing - 08/09/20 02:44 PM

Went out Friday around 6pm and stayed out until 2:30. Only two fish caught, but lost several others, probably gar. But it was nice not fighting the wake boats and jet skis. No problem worrying about dehydration. And the bugs were not a problem like I thought they would be. I did forget the remote to the Ultrex. If was fun to watch my fishing partner figure out how to use the foot control for the first time. I've told him for six months, he needs to read the owners manual as the TM control is his job since he is no longer head of anchor management.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Night fishing - 08/09/20 06:55 PM

Weve had a hard time catching catfish the past little bit. I think it was about a month from now last year when they really stacked up below the dam. Would you say that is accurate?

Re: Night fishing - 08/10/20 02:39 PM

When the water temps fall back into the low 70's is when I expect the dam bite to turn back on. Surface temps are still 87 degrees. If I go this weekend, there are some 50 and 60 foot holes I'm going to explore.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Night fishing - 08/10/20 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by TexasNative
When the water temps fall back into the low 70's is when I expect the dam bite to turn back on. Surface temps are still 87 degrees. If I go this weekend, there are some 50 and 60 foot holes I'm going to explore.

I explored some of them last week. Using skipjack as bait. Didn’t get a sniff
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Night fishing - 08/10/20 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Weve had a hard time catching catfish the past little bit. I think it was about a month from now last year when they really stacked up below the dam. Would you say that is accurate?

There is nothing lining up this year like it did last year. A guy from the shop went 2 weeks ago and didn’t catch any white bass or skipjack. I took my son last week. Same thing. This time last year it was one almost every cast

Re: Night fishing - 08/10/20 11:57 PM

The skipjack and really small whitebass were busting down around the sand bar saturday evening. Sabiki rigs were getting a few. But youre right, I agree.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Night fishing - 08/11/20 12:12 AM

Have y'all tried going real early on the skipjack? Last year when it was so hot, I went right at daylight and caught them in front of the bathroom
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Night fishing - 08/11/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by IDOT
I went right at daylight and caught them in front of the bathroom

Bill, it's obvious that it wasn't quite daylight because those were brown bass.
Posted By: CAL

Re: Night fishing - 08/11/20 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

Did you put any mud sharks in your livewell?

Re: Night fishing - 08/11/20 12:06 PM

Have y'all tried going real early on the skipjack? Last year when it was so hot, I went right at daylight and caught them in front of the bathroom

I have a hard time getting anywhere at daylight. I still sleep pretty good. I do applaud your determination

Re: Night fishing - 08/11/20 02:35 PM

Two weeks ago, I pulled up to the dam around 11am. One boat was spot locked below the generator and casting a sabiki rig to the wall. Catching them 2 at a time. Academy and Cabela's are both out of sabiki rigs. I've got a 10 pack on order from Amazon. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend. My back has told me my throwing a cast net days are now behind me. Don't miss all the other crap that I dump in the boat when I use it.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Night fishing - 08/11/20 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

LOL...there's probably a few those floating in the river as well

Texas, you don't need a sabiki. Carolina rig a small spoon so you can cast it and rip it through the water. Works like a charm.

Re: Night fishing - 08/12/20 01:00 PM

Texas, you don't need a sabiki. Carolina rig a small spoon so you can cast it and rip it through the water. Works like a charm.

I have three Foley spoons in my arsenal. Blue, Green, and White. I have tried them all and used a variety of retrieves. Zero, nada, blank, etc. I'm starting to take this battle personally with these skipjacks.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Night fishing - 08/13/20 12:12 PM

Don’t know if they’d still be there, but about a month ago I couldn’t stop catching them at Town Creek bridge. I was casting crappie jigs from the bank on the north side of the bridge.
Posted By: jhogeland

Re: Night fishing - 08/13/20 08:27 PM

We've been doing pretty well below the dam for catfish and skips. We tournament fish and have went to the dam the last couple of tournaments. Our buddy caught a 66lb Blue in front of the flood gates last tournament. Been catching quite a few in the 20-30lb range. Going again this weekend to try out our new Big Cat Fever rods.

Re: Night fishing - 08/19/20 12:48 AM

Is the catfishing getting any better? Whats the water temp at guntersville?
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Night fishing - 08/23/20 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Is the catfishing getting any better? Whats the water temp at guntersville?

ain't hit the lake but the tenn river was 85 to 86 degrees from ditto landing up into the flint today at 3pm...saturday. so id guess the lake is about 87 or 88?

Re: Night fishing - 08/23/20 04:24 PM

It was 84 Saturday morning.
Posted By: Paddlejon

Re: Night fishing - 08/24/20 01:22 AM

85+ this afternoon
© 2024 ALDEER.COM