Aldeer.com

Holt Lake

Posted By: trmcmahon

Holt Lake - 05/09/20 02:11 AM

Is Holt Lake good for catching bigger bass or is it kind of like lake Tuscaloosa and Martin with numbers but not a ton of size?
Posted By: Chad Burnette

Re: Holt Lake - 05/09/20 02:42 AM

They had tournament a couple weeks ago with a 27 lb sack, but the guy who had it knows the river and wins just about everything there. I fish it a good bit, and catch a lot of fish but can’t find big ones. I don’t fish the dam much, but I believe most big bags comes from close to the dam. Most bass there are spots.

Chad
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Holt Lake - 05/09/20 03:00 AM

I caught 10-12 spots up there last year over 5 one over 6. If I took off from the lower end I wouldn't stop until I passed burchfield park. But yes it does have big fish in it and most are at the dam.

Re: Holt Lake - 05/09/20 04:18 AM

You fish below Holt dam on Oliver Bacon at all?
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: Holt Lake - 05/09/20 11:31 AM

Besides below the dam at 17.. some of them boys lock through and fish Northriver below Holt for some of those big fishies.. me and my son have caught back to back 5lbers 2 yrs ago one a spot and the other LM..many moons ago I caught a spot close to 7lbs.. here lately it’s just the 12” to 3lbers..
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Holt Lake - 05/10/20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chad Burnette
They had tournament a couple weeks ago with a 27 lb sack, but the guy who had it knows the river and wins just about everything there. I fish it a good bit, and catch a lot of fish but can’t find big ones. I don’t fish the dam much, but I believe most big bags comes from close to the dam. Most bass there are spots.

Chad

Blake had 30 lbs on bankhead a few years ago. He is as good a guy as you will find and a great fisherman but both holy and bankhead have a large number of giant fish. Holt more so for spots bankhead for heads. Either are great options for catching a 7+ and Blake will possibly do a guide trip if you ask him to
Posted By: Chad Burnette

Re: Holt Lake - 05/10/20 02:40 AM

I don’t know Blake. I was talking about the Lindsey guy. He wins a lot up there.

Chad
Posted By: HOYT3006

Re: Holt Lake - 05/10/20 02:47 AM

Blake and the late Kyle Mabrey have caught giant bags of spots on holt the same as they have done on Bankhead.

Re: Holt Lake - 05/10/20 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chad Burnette
I don’t know Blake. I was talking about the Lindsey guy. He wins a lot up there.

Chad

Gotcha. I am not familiar with the guys over there anymore. Used to go over and fish it a lot but not much the last 10 yrs for some reason

Re: Holt Lake - 05/10/20 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by HOYT3006
Blake and the late Kyle Mabrey have caught giant bags of spots on holt the same as they have done on Bankhead.

Yes they did. I was lucky enough to catch 24 with kyle but never saw one of the 25+ bags they managed to catch the last few years he was alive.

Re: Holt Lake - 05/12/20 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by trmcmahon
You fish below Holt dam on Oliver Bacon at all?

Yes I had a 7lb spot down there last year I'm not going to into detail about some of the limits of spots I've caught and have seen come out of there because you wouldn't believe me if I did. They have night tournaments there on Monday nights now. I fished them last year and won several with 12-14lb limits. It must be off this year I heard its taking 6-8lbs to win. I'm going to come out of retirement and fish for the first time this year next Monday night.

Re: Holt Lake - 05/12/20 05:56 AM

The best part about that stretch of river below Holt dam is all the old dams roadbeds and sunken barges there's so much offshore cover that I could fish all day and never get near a bank
Posted By: William

Re: Holt Lake - 05/12/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb
The best part about that stretch of river below Holt dam is all the old dams roadbeds and sunken barges there's so much offshore cover that I could fish all day and never get near a bank

I need to spend some time there with the side imaging. Buddy of mine won a little club tourney there one year throwing a a-rig in 20ft of water.
Posted By: Drew11

Re: Holt Lake - 05/12/20 02:23 PM

My neighbor and his buddy can wear them out on Holt. I think my neighbors buddy puts on tournaments there because he knows he will win or come close every time. I can catch numbers most days there but they are all 1-2lbs. I generally dont run up below bankhead dam though. The few times i have gone up there its been hit or miss for me.

Re: Holt Lake - 05/13/20 01:19 PM

Me and a buddy caught about 11 lbs between 4 fish the other morning.One was a 4 lb largemouth that I caught on the second cast

Re: Holt Lake - 05/24/20 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Drew11
My neighbor and his buddy can wear them out on Holt. I think my neighbors buddy puts on tournaments there because he knows he will win or come close every time. I can catch numbers most days there but they are all 1-2lbs. I generally dont run up below bankhead dam though. The few times i have gone up there its been hit or miss for me.

Who is your neighbor?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM