Aldeer.com

Broke my Ulterra

Posted By: FurFlyin

Broke my Ulterra - 03/28/20 01:19 PM

I broke the shaft on my Ulterra yesterday. Hit my boat trailer trying to load my boat because my trim locked up when my motor was raised all the way up, up in the head of a creek trying to avoid hitting rocks. I'm still sick about it, but more sick about it now because according to their website, they aren't shipping parts for 2 weeks because of the shelter in place order in MN. Good grief. I thought MK was located in Eufaula?? The shaft has a lifetime warranty but I'm really not concerned about that if I can get my hands on a shaft. The list price on one is $159. It would be worth that to me to get back on the water.

Anybody got a guy that could hook a brother up?

On a side note, it took about 10 seconds to "fix" the trim on my motor. I loosened a cap on the trim unit and it started working again. I guess it air locked or something. mad
Posted By: hayman

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/28/20 02:18 PM

As bad as I want an Ulterra this story makes me more thankful for my pieceoshit motor guide. Thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/28/20 02:46 PM

They only manufacture head units and transducers in Eufaula
Posted By: daddy31

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/28/20 03:16 PM

Go check out www.trollingmotorparts.com
Posted By: AC870

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/29/20 02:14 AM

Dang, Brad. Sorry that happened.

Originally Posted by hayman
As bad as I want an Ulterra this story makes me more thankful for my pieceoshit motor guide.

I guarantee my POS Motor Guide has got your POS Motor Guide beat.

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/29/20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by daddy31

They do have them. Thanks! I'm gonna call a TM repair shop in Huntsville Monday and see how long it would take them to fix it. That is, if they aren't currently shut down
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/29/20 07:54 AM

That sounds like my luck, Brad and I hate it for you. Hopefully you'll have it fixed soon.
Posted By: hayman

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/29/20 12:05 PM

As bad as it sucks it could have been way worse. At least you could still go and anchor somewhere and fish until you get it repaired.

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/29/20 12:56 PM

Thanks guys. I'm still pretty ill about it.

As bad as it sucks it could have been way worse. At least you could still go and anchor somewhere and fish until you get it repaired.

I'll have to buy an anchor. That spot lock has me spoiled. LOL
Posted By: Drew11

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/29/20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
The shaft has a lifetime warranty but I'm really not concerned about that if I can get my hands on a shaft.

That’s what she said...
Posted By: .308

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/29/20 02:57 PM

When I installed the ultrex on my boat I kept the fortrex for a spare just in case. Did you do the same? What I'm getting at is do you have a spare to get you by?
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/29/20 04:04 PM

Thanks guys. I'm still pretty ill about it.

I'll have to buy an anchor. That spot lock has me spoiled. LOL

Hevi installed a battery use indicator on my boat. I put mine on spot lock and watched how much juice that thing was using to hold me in place. I'm buying an anchor for when I just want to sit for a period of time to see if there are any hungry catfish around.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/29/20 08:35 PM

I have 2 anchors, one for each end of the boat. I learned a long time ago that keeping the boat stationary in wind while loading up big, bedding bream required 2. My old rig has 2 manual Anchormates on it. That's the ticket for small boats.

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/29/20 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by .308
When I installed the ultrex on my boat I kept the fortrex for a spare just in case. Did you do the same? What I'm getting at is do you have a spare to get you by?

Negative. The old small MK that came on the boat was old. I ended up taking the motor head off it and use it for a transducer mount for my Livescope. Depending on how long the repair is gonna take I may go buy a cheap one at Walmart since they’re the only place open that sells them.
Posted By: Fishbones

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/30/20 12:58 PM

Ive had 7 gps trolling motors, every brand made, none of them are what i would call durable, but Minn Kota is the most durable

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/30/20 10:13 PM

I dropped the TM off today at The Prop Shop. Due to MN being shut down til 4/17 (probably 4/30 since Trumps new recommendation) I figure I won't be getting my TM back until at least mid May, maybe late May. It sucks a big un, but with the current state of affairs, it could be much worse.

Klay hooked me up with a guy that has a barely used 24 volt MK basic cable steer for a really good price. I'm picking it up tomorrow. It doesn't have Autopilot, which I use constantly, or Spotlock which I use a whole lot, but it'll pull my boat around. I'm gonna make me an anchor tomorrow.
Posted By: .308

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/31/20 09:22 AM

good deal, hope you get the Ultrex back soon.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/31/20 01:43 PM

I dropped the TM off today at The Prop Shop. Due to MN being shut down til 4/17 (probably 4/30 since Trumps new recommendation) I figure I won't be getting my TM back until at least mid May, maybe late May. It sucks a big un, but with the current state of affairs, it could be much worse.

Klay hooked me up with a guy that has a barely used 24 volt MK basic cable steer for a really good price. I'm picking it up tomorrow. It doesn't have Autopilot, which I use constantly, or Spotlock which I use a whole lot, but it'll pull my boat around. I'm gonna make me an anchor tomorrow.

Gotta start fishing like us poor folks again. Lol.

That is a bad deal though. I’m gonna get me some decent graphs and a I-pilot one day myself.
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/31/20 04:11 PM

I’ve been out of the fishing scene far too long. Wow! Trolling motors have really come a long way. Just watched the Ulterra commercial on YouTube for the first time. I bet you are more than a little bummed Fur. I can see getting used to that capability real quick.
I’ve been thinking about jumping back in the fishing world since I retired and have time to both hunt and fish these days. I’ve got to get smart on all the new tech first. How do you guys power all that tech; finders, 24v trolling motors with spot hold, etc, side view monitors, etc.. How many batteries are boats carrying these days? What kind of batteries: gel, agm, lead acid, or what?
Posted By: gman

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/31/20 04:35 PM

My son Addison has been worrying me to death about getting an ultrexx and scored a nice deal today. Will have a perfectly good 36v maxxum for sale shortly.
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/31/20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by QDMAV8R
I’ve been out of the fishing scene far too long. Wow! Trolling motors have really come a long way. Just watched the Ulterra commercial on YouTube for the first time. I bet you are more than a little bummed Fur. I can see getting used to that capability real quick.
I’ve been thinking about jumping back in the fishing world since I retired and have time to both hunt and fish these days. I’ve got to get smart on all the new tech first. How do you guys power all that tech; finders, 24v trolling motors with spot hold, etc, side view monitors, etc.. How many batteries are boats carrying these days? What kind of batteries: gel, agm, lead acid, or what?

I run three in my boat. Two size 29's for the Ultrexx and the third size 29 runs every thing else, including two Helix's and two live wells. That one gets charged every time I run the big motor. I ran around all day Friday to not find crappie and the Ultrexx batteries still had plenty of juice.

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/31/20 06:14 PM

Two group 31 lead acids for me on my TM and one group 29 AGM for cranking, and 3 graphs. I will upgrade to AGM's on TM batteries when these play out.

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 03/31/20 08:36 PM

Two group 31 lead acids for me on my TM and one group 29 AGM for cranking, and 3 graphs. I will upgrade to AGM's on TM batteries when these play out.

What length boat?

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 04/01/20 12:27 AM

18'6"
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 04/01/20 02:04 AM

4 31 series Odysseys in my 20 footer

Re: Broke my Ulterra - 04/01/20 12:30 PM

I used to try and fish all day in wind and current with a 12 v trolling motor. That usually didn’t work out real with even with the newest battery. Power was always an issue. I’ve never used graphs and sonar equipment like most are using today. I imagine they all suck the juice too.
I’m known by my fishing buddies as a “structure fisherman”, mostly fishing visible structures, humps and holes that you can determine on a flasher. Of course I grew up on Lake Jordan, so my experience means I can catch fish there with my eyes closed any time of the year.
I’m trying to get smart on all the electronics, so I can get me a set up that will prove useful and successful on reservoirs other than my home court Jordan.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM