Aldeer.com

HIGH VIS YELLER

Posted By: Shaneomac2

HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/26/20 06:40 PM

I see folks use this for crappie fishing and thought why couldnt you use a small diameter braided line in high vis yeller? say 6 or 8 lb test? Anyone use the braided line for crappies?
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/26/20 06:47 PM

My cousin uses braid on his rod. I hate that crap.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/26/20 06:59 PM

Crappie have paper mouths. Braid could easily tear the hook out.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/26/20 09:52 PM

Stick with 4 or 6lb mono. The high viz helps detects bites. Watch your line no matter how your working your lure.
Posted By: CD

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/27/20 01:59 PM

I’ve got a couple bass reels filled with 20 pound Seaguar Smackdown hi viz and it’s harder for me to see that 4 pound hi viz mono on my crappie reels. It’s just tiny thin.
Posted By: daylate

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/27/20 02:08 PM

IMO there is no need for hi viz line when crappie fishing.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/27/20 02:10 PM

Figured with braid would be less break offs and more hook straightening..
Posted By: Clem

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/27/20 03:39 PM

I've fished with guides who use high-vis line and also thin diameter braid while crappie fishing. Neither bothered the fish and the braid didn't tear hooks out of mouths.

Ain't no big deal. It works.

I know a former Elite Series bass pro who used high-vis yellow line for flipping while he competed. Won a couple, qualified for the Classic, damned good angler. Yellow doesn't mess up anything for him.

Mono's still cheapest and easiest for crappie, though.
Posted By: JBL

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/27/20 04:57 PM

I'd go fluro or mono. If you use braid, you need a decent length leader in mono or fluro. I've experimented with straight 8lb braid in clear to turbid water and they were braid shy, no doubt about it. It works with a leader though. Now on a muddy lake like Grenada, you can use whatever you want. People use 10lb braid over there all the time. Makes no difference.
Posted By: Peach

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/27/20 05:41 PM

If you use hi vis braid, take a black, green, etc... magic marker and mark the last ten feet or so of your line.
Posted By: daylate

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/28/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by JBL
I'd go fluro or mono. If you use braid, you need a decent length leader in mono or fluro. I've experimented with straight 8lb braid in clear to turbid water and they were braid shy, no doubt about it. It works with a leader though. Now on a muddy lake like Grenada, you can use whatever you want. People use 10lb braid over there all the time. Makes no difference.

I had a trip over there recently and we had to fish 3 to 4 ft of water to find any slabs. Braid is the last thing I would want when I have a 2.5 lb slab with 2 ft of line out. When they hit in that shallow water they only have one direction to go....out...and fast. We lost big fish after big fish because they just tore out of there and pulled the hook. Even with some stretch with the mono it was too much. FWIW we fished Enid because Grenada is crazy flooded now.
Posted By: hitek

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/30/20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by daylate
Originally Posted by JBL

I had a trip over there recently and we had to fish 3 to 4 ft of water to find any slabs. Braid is the last thing I would want when I have a 2.5 lb slab with 2 ft of line out. When they hit in that shallow water they only have one direction to go....out...and fast. We lost big fish after big fish because they just tore out of there and pulled the hook. Even with some stretch with the mono it was too much. FWIW we fished Enid because Grenada is crazy flooded now.

Loosen that drag some and it is all good. We fish like that most of the time.
Posted By: OutdoorsAL

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/30/20 10:14 PM

I tried crappie fishing with braid on my sunken trees. After one day I switched back to mono because I get a hung a lot and breaking braided line is no fun. Now that I think about it, it may have been ok if I would have added a mono leader that would break easily
Posted By: hitek

Re: HIGH VIS YELLER - 03/31/20 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by OutdoorsAL
I tried crappie fishing with braid on my sunken trees. After one day I switched back to mono because I get a hung a lot and breaking braided line is no fun. Now that I think about it, it may have been ok if I would have added a mono leader that would break easily

Or a lightwire hook that would bend....
© 2024 ALDEER.COM