Aldeer.com

AU Trout: Redeye in Winter

Posted By: William

AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 01/27/20 10:09 PM

Wife and I ran the Cahaba this weekend. First time we've been in the winter. Fall was awful because we had no current. Winter has been awful because it is either raining every weekend or the water is too high.

We went Sunday and the water was moving way more than we are used to. We caught some big spots, but didn't catch the first redeye. We were throwing bigger baits than is our norm down there due to the current. That might have had something to do with it? Are there any baits and/or strategies for winter time redeye fishing? My wife was bent out of shape when I told her the buzzbait was out of season.....
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 01/28/20 12:26 AM

I'm no red eye expert but I've had better luck catching them on smaller bug type baits or crawfish crankbaits.
Posted By: Stob

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 01/29/20 12:56 PM

I LOVE Redeyes, seems like the consensus is they are mostly an insect eating fish
though I could be wrong. I do know they will tear up a popping bug.

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 01/29/20 02:00 PM

Yeah. The wife and I usually catch them in the summer on top water. With the water coming down and the rain holding off, we will be going more (probably again this weekend). Gonna make sure one of us is throwing a small crankbait this time.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 01/29/20 06:07 PM

best I ever caught was on a regular size spinnerbait in fast water. Usually a small inline spinner like a shyster is much better.
Posted By: Stob

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 01/31/20 01:44 AM

I've caught a many on a Rebel UL crawfish crankbait.
Posted By: Semo

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 01/31/20 03:42 AM

jigging crappie jigs in submerged timber or large boulders. Deeper the pool the better.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 01/31/20 12:26 PM

Not ideal in the waters you describe, but beetlespins and Mepps Comets have
gotten them for me.

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 01/31/20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MarksOutdoors
Not ideal in the waters you describe, but beetlespins and Mepps Comets have
gotten them for me.

Yeah, the current flow should be less this weekend. Gonna try again Sat or Sun.
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 02/01/20 03:58 PM

I went to try out my new waders @ weogufka yesterday and just had some roostertails/ inline spinners with me. Didn't catch any red-eyes but did get a few nice spots in the deeper pools.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 02/01/20 08:43 PM

I've never had much luck with redeye until the water warmed up some, like late spring on the Cahaba River

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 02/03/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
I've never had much luck with redeye until the water warmed up some, like late spring on the Cahaba River

This is what it's starting to look like. We went again Saturday. We didn't catch many, but the ones we caught were big. Wife caught a nice spot.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 02/03/20 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by William
Originally Posted by BhamFred

This is what it's starting to look like. We went again Saturday. We didn't catch many, but the ones we caught were big. Wife caught a nice spot.

Did y’all have 2 boats? If so I saw you as you passed our place north of centerville

Re: AU Trout: Redeye in Winter - 02/03/20 04:45 PM

Centerville is a LONG way from where I'm fishing. I want to get down that way, but haven't made it yet.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM