Aldeer.com

Donavan Lakes

Posted By: Spotchaser8

Donavan Lakes - 01/22/20 12:22 AM

Anyone have any experience in this fishing club? Thinking of joining and was looking to get some feedback.
Posted By: getting old

Re: Donavan Lakes - 01/22/20 04:23 AM

I was a member for several years. Got out about 7 years ago, so take this in that context.

I assume you are interested in catching big bass. While I caught quite a few bass over 8 lbs., don't expect to do that every trip. After a few years, I switched my focus to shell crackers and bluegill. At that time, there were some whopper shell crackers. Since bass were required to be released, and I kind of lost interest in bass fishing, shell cracker and bluegill became my major focus. That being said, if you are a serious bass fisherman, it would not surprise me if the next state record, and possibly world record largemouth came from Donovan lakes.
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Donavan Lakes - 01/22/20 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by getting old
I was a member for several years. Got out about 7 years ago, so take this in that context.

I assume you are interested in catching big bass. While I caught quite a few bass over 8 lbs., don't expect to do that every trip. After a few years, I switched my focus to shell crackers and bluegill. At that time, there were some whopper shell crackers. Since bass were required to be released, and I kind of lost interest in bass fishing, shell cracker and bluegill became my major focus. That being said, if you are a serious bass fisherman, it would not surprise me if the next state record, and possibly world record largemouth came from Donovan lakes.

^^^This^^^

I fished it several times with a business acquaintance. Caught alot of bass. There are some biguns there just not caught by me. smile
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Donavan Lakes - 01/22/20 07:20 PM

Spot how much does joining cost ?
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Donavan Lakes - 01/22/20 10:28 PM

Too much unless you are the gman

Re: Donavan Lakes - 01/22/20 11:09 PM

the ones in Marion are $1K, so I guess the others are too.

Re: Donavan Lakes - 01/23/20 12:23 AM

Thanks for the info guys!

Perch- the dues are $1000 for a year.

I’ve found some people through friends that are in the club and have caught some really big bass.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Donavan Lakes - 01/23/20 02:13 AM

So are these managed farm ponds or pretty decent sized lakes? I looked at the website. Looks interesting. I'm obviously not interested since I'm too far away but if they're large private lakes, over 10 acres, I'd be interested if I was closer.
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Donavan Lakes - 01/23/20 06:04 PM

Will try state lakeWhen they open

Re: Donavan Lakes - 01/23/20 06:36 PM

Any one in particular O and w ? I looked at the one in Clayton. it looks deep since the area is hilly.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Donavan Lakes - 01/23/20 08:58 PM

Perch, Leon Brooks Hines outside of Brewton and J Emmitt Wood in Millry are both really good state owned and managed lakes. Used to be great. Both gave up a ton of double digit bass. The lake at Millry was completely drained about 8 years ago and completely restocked. It should be putting out some quality fish now. Back in the mid to late -90's I lived in Mobile and fished both Hines and Millry a good bit every spring and caught a pile of 10+ fish out of them both.

Re: Donavan Lakes - 01/23/20 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
So are these managed farm ponds or pretty decent sized lakes? I looked at the website. Looks interesting. I'm obviously not interested since I'm too far away but if they're large private lakes, over 10 acres, I'd be interested if I was closer.

Just heard back today. 8 lakes total. Size ranges from 6-40 acres.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM