Aldeer.com

BIG winter bass

Posted By: .308

BIG winter bass - 01/16/20 01:50 PM

What is your favorite lures/techniques? I have used big plastics deep in the past but have recently caught decent fish shallow on red cranks.
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/16/20 08:45 PM

Slow rolling spinner baits.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/16/20 08:48 PM

PIG AND JIG
Posted By: AC870

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/17/20 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Snuffy
Slow rolling spinner baits.

Natural colors? I’m trying to do a little more winter fishing.
Posted By: Stob

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/17/20 01:43 AM

Yeah, if you want a biggun, its fixin to get right.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/17/20 02:36 AM

Stob is right, but the very worse thing you can do is start with a PRE-conceived solution as to what lure to use. You should be open minded and let water conditions dictate what you use. I like just about all lures. Shake head, Jig and pig, crankbaits, spinnerbaits. Now a big lure is what I pick to attract big bass. Now is when bass are the heaviest too. When you do catch a big one, consider if there are more in the immediate area. in other words don't be in a hurry to troll off.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/17/20 02:50 AM

M80
Posted By: icducks

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/17/20 03:52 AM

Swim bait. Jig or spook.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/17/20 01:14 PM

Caught 20 1-2.5lb yesterday on underpin swimbait; broke off on a big one(thanks for the video tip PJ) and a 3lb on black Uncle Josh frog and jig
Posted By: Stob

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/17/20 03:54 PM

I have witnessed several 8+lbers come off LM in the dead of winter
in the shallowest, muddiest sloughs , 1-2ft. of water caught by
kids slinging various contraptions.
I was a kid on one of those occasions when a Buddy, his brother
and me decided to go fishing early ( before daylight) one morning.
Temps were cold enough that there was ice on the edge. LM was
at winter levels and we were walking the bank. Buddys brother was using a 202 and a brown/gold
Rooster Tail. Why that 8.5lb fish was where she was and why she
hit that Rooster Tail is beyond me but that was a heck of a fish.
He had it mounted and I was in awe of that fish every time I visited.

Another 8-9 lber I saw caught in similar water conditions. Dead of Winter,
1-2ft of water, but a bright sunny, cold day. Next door neighbor kid throwing
a crawfish crank bait with a WalMart combo spinner walked up to the house with that behemoth asking
me if I could help him get the crankbait out of her mouth. He had just cut
the line cause he didn't have any pliers. Why that fish was there I don't
know. I wouldn't have even considered fishing that day, esp. on that mud
flat. I was flabbergasted when that kid walked up with that hog.

Can happen anywhere, anytime under any conditions. You just never know
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/18/20 02:05 AM

The best big fish bait is a 8" Golden Shiner.
Posted By: Sandmtnslayer

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/18/20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
The best big fish bait is a 8" Golden Shiner.

True story
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/18/20 01:34 PM

The five very biggest individual bass I've ever caught were all in April. 11 and 9-1/2 (Wedowee), two 8-1/2's (one at Guntersville and the other on a private lake), and a 7-10 smallmouth on Pickwick. Those fish were caught on a spinnerbait, buzzbait, 6" swimbait, and 1/16th oz flick shake wacky worm on a 6' spinning rod with 10# flouro (the 11 pounder)
Posted By: inatree

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/18/20 06:21 PM

Dead of winter with a sucker minnow fishing structure on the bottom. Bites slow, but when you get one it's usually a good one.

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/18/20 10:20 PM

Li ve bait is for lazy people. The only time i live bait fish is live shrimp for flounder.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/18/20 10:23 PM

I feel like I've got a better chance at a 20+ lb limit in Nov-Feb than I do the rest of the year though. I have a bunch of GOOD trips in November every year.... like days when you catch double digit fish in the 3 to 6 pound range. Wedowee in November with a buzzbait = broken arm. (But I don't catch the BIG individual bass that time of year, I don't know where they are)
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/18/20 10:28 PM

Now thru early spring is when I've caught my biggest spots. I had 5 spots one day on holt lake that weighed a little over 27lbs on a 5 inch Swinbait and a war eagle heavy finesse jig. Everytime you set the hook it was a big un

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/18/20 10:32 PM

Are you back to fishing Bead ?
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/19/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by perchjerker
Are you back to fishing Bead ?

I'm not may get my basstracker going before long and do some crappie fishing
Posted By: woodduck

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/25/20 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by perchjerker
Stob is right, but the very worse thing you can do is start with a PRE-conceived solution as to what lure to use. You should be open minded and let water conditions dictate what you use. I like just about all lures. Shake head, Jig and pig, crankbaits, spinnerbaits. Now a big lure is what I pick to attract big bass. Now is when bass are the heaviest too. When you do catch a big one, consider if there are more in the immediate area. in other words don't be in a hurry to troll off.
i caught a 8 pounder one day at the end of a log. Went back the next evening and caught a 9 pounder in the same spot
Posted By: AUbowhunter1990

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/26/20 07:23 PM

I’ve caught many 3-5lb’s off lay in the winter with a shad rap and DT-6. Find some ledges and start crankin.
Posted By: bmc77

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/26/20 08:27 PM

Before it started raining so much I was catching some good bass on a red eye,rattle trap but lately it's been slow.

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/27/20 12:11 AM

It's time to be throwing a big red trap on Guntersville and around grass anywhere. A red crankbait around shallow grass points, stumps, rocks or cypress knees will load the boat too.
Posted By: CAL

Re: BIG winter bass - 01/27/20 11:20 AM

I watched a guy absolutely crush fish on a jackhammer Friday. Conditions were tough but he still caught fish. Swim it close to the bottom.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM