Aldeer.com

Cold weather fishing clothing...

Posted By: FurFlyin

Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 01:00 AM

What do you guys wear for cold weather fishing? I use to deer hunt and have some extremely warm clothing, but none of it is windproof. I wear a jacket fishing that was so warm that I could only wear it a handful of times per year while deer hunting. It just does little good when running with the motor.

I know I'm going to get lots of 100 and 200 mph suit suggestions, but would like info on other companies. I've read that the BPS warranty isn't honored often on the suits.

I'd prefer something with a liner in the jacket that can be removed in warmer weather.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 01:48 AM

Pro qualifier suit at bass pro in very nice. Had mine for 6 years and still in great shape.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 02:03 AM

Fur, if you want a cheap option..and i may get made fun of..but my daddy wore leather on the water when it was cold...i wear it too..leather is extreamly wind proof and i got an old g12 flight jacket that you cant tell wheather your runnin a 100mph or sittin still..you may could find one at goodwill. Those pq suits are really nice tho.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 02:21 AM

100mph rain jacket. Pro qualifier bibs
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 02:29 AM

Just go here: https://www.gore-tex.com/

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 12:29 PM

How long have you had that?
Originally Posted by !shiloh!
Pro qualifier suit at bass pro in very nice. Had mine for 6 years and still in great shape.

Is it still waterproof?

Originally Posted by Ben2

How long have you had it and is it still waterproof?

I've read a lot of reviews on those and many of them report that they work good for a year, then leak. Have either of you experienced that?

IDOT, that's the best option but my gosh that stuff is an investment.
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 01:25 PM

I use Huk rain suit a lot like the bass stuff. I can put on a 3.0 long johns and sweats and sweat pants and stay warm on the coldest days.

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 01:46 PM

Anybody got an Artic Armor float suit?

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 05:12 PM

Fur, Gore Tex, is by far the best option and you won't have to "Wonder" if it will work. It works and is used by the two most rigorously testing entities there are (Military, Automotive).
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 05:20 PM

Frogg toggs would be a cheaper option...
Posted By: JKlep

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 05:59 PM

Snow skiing bibs and coat. Was always the best option for me. Both wind resistant and waterproof
Posted By: William

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 08:10 PM

If yall find some gloves that I can wear and still operate a baitcaster, please let me know!

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/06/19 09:06 PM

I ordered an Artic Armor suit today. Water and wind proof and is also a Type III rated flotation device.
Posted By: .308

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/07/19 11:00 AM

Who did you order from? Please give a review when you get it, I need some decent cold weather rain wear.

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/07/19 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by .308
Who did you order from? Please give a review when you get it, I need some decent cold weather rain wear.

Some place up Nawth. Will do.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/09/19 06:22 PM

I also cheat and slide the buddy heater up there by the trolling motor.

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/09/19 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbamaboy
I also cheat and slide the buddy heater up there by the trolling motor.

It ain't the fishing that bothers me, it's the getting from one place to the other without freezing.

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/09/19 06:32 PM

I always just layer up and bunker down behind my windshield. Wear a neck gator, boggin, and get you some motorcycle riding goggles. The cold wind on my eyes bother me more than anything. Also, I’ve got some snowmobile gloves I wear when it’s really cold.

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/13/19 01:01 AM

I tried out the Artic Armor today. Not only did I not get cold, I didn't even get cool. Left the boat ramp at 7:00 am and fished til lunch. The wind was absolutely brutal. My plan was to fish around Siebold, but the wind was hitting it right in the mouth. I ended up running from Siebold to the upper end of Town Creek trying to find a place to get out of the wind. I failed, but I did get a good test on the suit. Had water come over the gunwale on 3 different occasions as I was sitting "cross winded" and didn't get damp. The stuff is absolutely 100% windproof and I was suspicious of that.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/13/19 01:07 PM

What was the price Fur?

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/13/19 02:47 PM

$319.00
Posted By: Waldo

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/14/19 01:21 AM

Interesting stuff.

The positive buoyancy has me thinking.

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/14/19 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Waldo
Interesting stuff.

That was what sealed the deal for me. I KNOW that I'm going to fall out of my boat, I just don't know when. I didn't have good balance even as a kid. That's just getting worse. When I'm wearing a coat, I don't like sitting and fishing with my life jacket on, even though it's an inflatable. With this, I don't have to.

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/14/19 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
How long have you had that?
Originally Posted by !shiloh!

Is it still waterproof?

Originally Posted by Ben2

How long have you had it and is it still waterproof?

I've read a lot of reviews on those and many of them report that they work good for a year, then leak. Have either of you experienced that?

IDOT, that's the best option but my gosh that stuff is an investment.
current set I have had 6 years and I have washed and dried it several times. Probably not supposed to wash em. Last set I got 8 or so years out of

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/14/19 02:59 PM

Ben, that's good to know. There are lots and lots of negative reviews of the BPS suits because of them leaking. Of course I'm not sure why I believe reviews since 2 of the "Google ratings" for our business are 2-3 star reviews and neither one of the people who posted them have ever been to our shop.

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/14/19 04:32 PM

Ben, that's good to know. There are lots and lots of negative reviews of the BPS suits because of them leaking. Of course I'm not sure why I believe reviews since 2 of the "Google ratings" for our business are 2-3 star reviews and neither one of the people who posted them have ever been to our shop.

Also, folks are far more likely to post or review a negative experience than a positive one.

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/14/19 06:00 PM

I got a 2 star rating the other day and the review said "I am sure they do good work but their rates are higher than other companies so I have not used them" WTH
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/15/19 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Waldo
Interesting stuff.

...Which brings to mind a VERY important safety tip! ALWAYS wear your pfd in the winter time. It's easy not to wear during the summer because it's so hot and humid, but most people can tread water and/or swim back to the boat if the fall out wearing a tshirt and shorts. Wearing bulky wind and waterproof clothes (I use chest waders on the kayak in the winter) can cause you to get weighed down real quick if you hit the water. It won't "drag you under" as the popular old myth goes, but it will (not might!) make you so heavy you can't recover yourself back into the boat!

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/15/19 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by DEADorALIVE
...Which brings to mind a VERY important safety tip! ALWAYS wear your pfd in the winter time. It's easy not to wear during the summer because it's so hot and humid, but most people can tread water and/or swim back to the boat if the fall out wearing a tshirt and shorts. Wearing bulky wind and waterproof clothes (I use chest waders on the kayak in the winter) can cause you to get weighed down real quick if you hit the water. It won't "drag you under" as the popular old myth goes, but it will (not might!) make you so heavy you can't recover yourself back into the boat!

Skip ahead to the 1 minute mark:

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/15/19 04:39 AM

Dayum, that's some good looking stuff there Fur
Posted By: blade

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/15/19 03:17 PM

Fur, how is the mobility? Pretty flexible?

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/15/19 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by blade

Yes it’s very flexible. It’s surprisingly not very bulky. It’s lighter and less bulky than my deer hunting cold weather bibs and parka.
Posted By: blade

Re: Cold weather fishing clothing... - 12/15/19 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by blade

Yes it’s very flexible. It’s surprisingly not very bulky. It’s lighter and less bulky than my deer hunting cold weather bibs and parka.

Thanks Fur. I need to replace some of the Cablelas version of the 100 mph.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM