Aldeer.com

Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+

Posted By: gundoc

Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+ - 12/02/19 12:01 AM

I was fishing Friday and everything was running fine, then all of a sudden, my 'bird just shut off. I could power it back on and once it got through the start up screens, it would shut off again.

I could start it in simulation mode and it worked like it was supposed to. Restart in normal mode and it shut off again.

When I got home it would start up fine without shutting off.

I was notified of an update, but the update didn't mention solving this problem.

Any ideas??
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+ - 12/02/19 12:07 AM

When you got home did you plug a charger in before turning the Bird on again? If so you have low voltage in the battery that's running the Bird.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+ - 12/02/19 02:44 AM

Sounds like low battery

Re: Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+ - 12/02/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
When you got home did you plug a charger in before turning the Bird on again? If so you have low voltage in the battery that's running the Bird.

No...I still haven’t put it on charge. The bird at the console was working fine though as well as everything else connected to that battery
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+ - 12/02/19 04:07 PM

I agree it sounds like a voltage issue. May not be but sounds like it. When my cranking battery was going bad mine would shut off every time I cranked my boat. Lower your low voltage shut off level and see if it fixes the issue. Mine will also shut off like that if my son puts it on the boat. He never seems to get it plugged in good enough
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+ - 12/03/19 12:42 AM

Yeah, you aren't charging but you aren't drawing power from other accessories either. Mine cuts off any time battery is weak.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+ - 12/03/19 03:17 AM

Sounds like a voltage issue as others have said. I have a helix 7 g2n on the front of my boat and sometimes it will shut off when I crank the big motor to move.

Re: Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+ - 12/04/19 03:24 AM

I hope that's all it is. My Helix 9 G2N SI at the console never flinched and they are both connected to the cranking battery

Re: Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+ - 01/02/20 06:24 AM

Ended up straight wiring it to the battery as well as replacing the battery. Fished Christmas Eve and it started acting up right off the bat even with a hot battery. Came home checked the voltage on the battery and it was still reading 12.8v after fishing half a dau and running my helix at the console as well as numerous starts on the motor.

After re-wiring today I noticed the cranking battery was real weak. I didn't charge it when I got in last week though. I figured if it was reading 12.8v after coming home it shouldn't have died that quick with nothing pulling on it. So I bought a new one.

One or both of those things solved my problem though.
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+ - 01/02/20 03:35 PM

Buy the biggest battery you can if you are running a Helix off the cranking battery. One my last boat, I bought a wheelchair battery and wired my Helix directly to it, with nothing else on it. On the Lund I just bought, I'm replacing the cranking battery with a size 31 battery.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Humminbird Helix 9 G3N DI+ - 01/02/20 04:42 PM

Make a practice of plugging up the charger as soon as you get home. If problems persist why not try swapping units and see how both act in new positions. It could also be a bad wiring harness from factory.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM