Aldeer.com

Skipjack

Posted By: IDOT

Skipjack - 10/14/19 12:58 AM

They are thick below Guntersville Dam right now. Bigguns too!
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Skipjack - 10/14/19 12:42 PM

Poor mans tarpon...good eatin...for a whiskerfish
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Skipjack - 10/14/19 03:29 PM

Catching from the bank? I am shooting blanks this year trying to catch them.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Skipjack - 10/14/19 04:19 PM

Good to know. I need to stock up my freezer
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Skipjack - 10/14/19 04:34 PM

What does a "skipjack" even look like and is that the actual name of them or just a nickname? I don't think I've ever seen one.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Skipjack - 10/14/19 05:27 PM

Coosa, google Skipjack herring
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Skipjack - 10/14/19 06:16 PM

Colds not many more in black warrior or tenn
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Skipjack - 10/15/19 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
What does a "skipjack" even look like and is that the actual name of them or just a nickname? I don't think I've ever seen one.

They look like a baby tarpon in every possible way.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Skipjack - 10/15/19 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by tfd1224

That about sums it up. Oh, and I don't remember ever seeing any on the Coosa or any of its tributaries.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Skipjack - 10/16/19 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by TexasNative
Catching from the bank? I am shooting blanks this year trying to catch them.

Gotta go early morning....they are stacked from the turbines to the restroom. 1oz carolina rigged yellow spoon reeled at a moderate speed
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Skipjack - 10/16/19 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by metalmuncher
Originally Posted by tfd1224

That about sums it up. Oh, and I don't remember ever seeing any on the Coosa or any of its tributaries.

That would probably be why I haven't seen one. I don't fish much away from the home turf.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Skipjack - 10/16/19 06:46 PM

I was under Nickajack and couldn’t catch bait to save my life. No shad to be found. Some fairly young girl, late teens, was in a flat bottom running up to the turbine and riding the current down river. She was whipping a rod sorta like a fly rod, but casting out and had prob 10 jigs tied on her line and was pulling 6-8 skipjacks at a time. She would have them all off the hook and thrown in the boat in just a second, then 6-8 more. Never seen anything like it. Idk how many she had, but there couldn’t have been much place to stand in that boat.
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Skipjack - 10/25/19 04:56 PM

Richard Gene was below G Dam wearing them out on pearl colored 4" Zoom flukes. Some of the biggest Skip's I've seen. He was fishing for hybrids and striper.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM