Aldeer.com

Castnet PSA

Posted By: FurFlyin

Castnet PSA - 10/10/19 11:56 PM

I decided to get a castnet to take advantage of the abundance of threadfin shad that we have on Lake Guntersville. I can obviously use them crappie fishing. I can also catch shad to use for catfish. I got the net a week or so ago and had been practicing in the yard. I got good enough with it that I knew I could catch bait. When I went fishing yesterday afternoon I ran to two bridges because normally at this time of year, threadfins are schooling around the bridges by the gazillions. I didn't see a single bait ball close to the surface at either bridge. We went and shot docks at a marina for a little bit. When we got up closer to the shallow end I saw a ripple on the surface and a couple baits flip out of the water.

I jumped up, grabbed the net, loaded it, turned the live scope towards the last place I saw them. There was a big blob close to the surface. I rare back and let her rip. I hit right where I was aiming. I start pulling the net up but it's really heavy. Really, really heavy. I'm thinking I have the mother lode on my first throw. I finally got it up off the bottom and when I can finally see, there's a whole lot of green in the net. There's also silt running out around the sides. I tried to grab the horn and dump my load of millfoil back in the lake but no dice. It's got the braille lines so clogged up that they won't release. I had thrown a "syrup tub" in the boat for a makeshift bait well and I'm glad I did. A syrup tub is what we call a mineral lick for the cows. The come in a plastic tub probably around 30 gallons in size. I picked the whole mess up, with the help of my fishing partner and dumped it in the tub. We start pulling out the lead line a little at the time and dumping millfoil back in the water. We finally got the worst of it and sifted out 4 threadin shad from the mess and kept them. LOL I spent 30 minutes this afternoon picking that mess out of the net just to get it back usable. I may never get all of it out of the net.

SO, if you've got vegetation in your lake, don't throw your brand new cast net up amongst it.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/11/19 12:41 AM

Rocks and stumps are even worse, especially when water is over 10 ft deep grin
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/11/19 01:38 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w6swnJXwEws
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/11/19 01:51 AM

Dun that before...dont ever let it dry...youll be throwin your net away...ask me how i know.

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/11/19 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rebelman

I watched that video for 2 years prior to buying a cast net. It took me a year of watching to notice the cast net.

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/11/19 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1
Dun that before...dont ever let it dry...youll be throwin your net away...ask me how i know.

We got a lot out yesterday and I got the rest out today, but I'll never get it all out, unless it just falls out. There's hundreds of little strands all in it.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/11/19 02:19 AM

Fur, it don't get a whole lot better either. Back when I did a lot of Striper fishing, I'll bet I went through 3 or 4 castnets per year. A net draped across a clothesline and hit with a pressure washer will take a lot of algae, mud, catfish slime, scales, and stuff off, but you're on your own with milfoil or hydrilla.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/11/19 02:29 AM

Throwing a cast net is one of my favorite things to do! Love catching bait on the beach and having folks ask me what kind of perch that is
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/11/19 11:05 AM

Live and learn my friend. I’ve destroyed dozens of nets on stumps and such. I rarely throw my good nets in areas I’m not familiar with. Use an older damaged net for sketchy spots. Just wait till you pull up a mess of squealers .... it’s awful.
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/11/19 05:50 PM

Back in Texas, I unknowingly knew mine into a ball of baby catfish. Try picking those things out of a cast net.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/11/19 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1

We got a lot out yesterday and I got the rest out today, but I'll never get it all out, unless it just falls out. There's hundreds of little strands all in it.

Hangit up an hit it with a water hose..how i always did it..may be how you doit...it helps.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/12/19 01:33 AM

Just keep throwing it, all the little pieces will eventually come out. If you ever get your net hung and can get a hand on the horn, just grab the horn and jiggle the net from all directions it should come loose with minimal rippage unless you hang a root ball on a stump, in that case just try to get pieces of the net out of the water and get the lead line back to make jigs out of. Never store your net wet. When it gets hard, soak it in a little fabric softener and water for a few hours and it will be good as new. That’s my cast net basics.
Posted By: JBL

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/12/19 02:15 AM

I've posted this on here before, but seems appropriate

Crappie in cast net:

https://youtu.be/667OnDiv4a4

Anyways I know how you feel. I netted a school of 6" catfish one time. Had to pick them out one by one. It was a nightmare.

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/12/19 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by tfd1224
Just keep throwing it, all the little pieces will eventually come out. If you ever get your net hung and can get a hand on the horn, just grab the horn and jiggle the net from all directions it should come loose with minimal rippage unless you hang a root ball on a stump, in that case just try to get pieces of the net out of the water and get the lead line back to make jigs out of. Never store your net wet. When it gets hard, soak it in a little fabric softener and water for a few hours and it will be good as new. That’s my cast net basics.

10-4 thanks. I've got it soaking in fabric softener now. It's been soaking since last night. I'm about to go rinse it off.

JBL, I've seen that before. That was a whole lot of fillets...

Y'all scaring me about these catfish. LOL I hope I don't ever get into any of them.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/13/19 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by tfd1224

10-4 thanks. I've got it soaking in fabric softener now. It's been soaking since last night. I'm about to go rinse it off.

JBL, I've seen that before. That was a whole lot of fillets...

Y'all scaring me about these catfish. LOL I hope I don't ever get into any of them.

As far as catching catfish, just carry some needle nose pliers. When you catch catfish just lay the net down in the bottom of the boat and use the pliers to break off the 3 spines on the catfish and then they will fall right out of the net.
Posted By: daylate

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/13/19 04:05 PM

I watched that video for 2 years prior to buying a cast net. It took me a year of watching to notice the cast net.

Some fried mullet and cheese grits wouldn't hurt her. Just sayin.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/16/19 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by daylate

Some fried mullet and cheese grits wouldn't hurt her. Just sayin.

She needs to gain about 20 pounds. Thats anorexic son!
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/18/19 08:29 PM

Darcy's not only easy on the eyes...she's athletic, not anorexic! smile ...but she's also a fish catching machine!

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/18/19 09:49 PM

She needs braces or Invisalign
Posted By: jrs89

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/19/19 01:02 PM

She needs braces or Invisalign

And some bolt on’s.

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/19/19 02:51 PM

Buncha crackheads! She is aesthetically flawless!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/19/19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by DEADorALIVE
Darcy's not only easy on the eyes...she's athletic, not anorexic! smile ...but she's also a fish catching machine!

At the risk of sounding homo, I’ve watched her videos bc they are informative and she knows her stuff, but I don’t find her attractive.

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/19/19 03:06 PM

I had thrown a "syrup tub" in the boat for a makeshift bait well and I'm glad I did. A syrup tub is what we call a mineral lick for the cows. The come in a plastic tub probably around 30 gallons in size.

Fur, you got to get rid of that glitter rocket and get yourself a fishing boat.

[Linked Image]

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/19/19 05:17 PM

Just for clarification purposes....

Darcy is incredibly good looking but her bottom teeth are jacked up.

AND

BBB, I don't have a glitter rocket, I've got an Aluminum boat, but it is white and has carpet. The carpet is not nice for cast nets.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/19/19 05:45 PM

Had a buddy buy one many years ago to catch shad below the dam. He practiced quit a bit in a parking lot. I could throw it a bit better. Firat day at the dam a shad ball came up beside the boat. He made a perfect throw. Only problem was, he forgot to put the rope around his wrist. We tried to quickly catch it with a jig but failed. Bye Bye new net.

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/19/19 08:18 PM

AND

BBB, I don't have a glitter rocket, I've got an Aluminum boat, but it is white and has carpet. The carpet is not nice for cast nets.

I’m sorry, I throught you had a white and silver Triton for some reason.

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/19/19 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by top cat
Had a buddy buy one many years ago to catch shad below the dam. He practiced quit a bit in a parking lot. I could throw it a bit better. Firat day at the dam a shad ball came up beside the boat. He made a perfect throw. Only problem was, he forgot to put the rope around his wrist. We tried to quickly catch it with a jig but failed. Bye Bye new net.

If I was throwing at the dam or anyplace with current, I’d like to have a Velcro strap on my wrist so could just let it go if it got hung. I’d rather not get drug into the water.

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/20/19 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by top cat

My brother did the EXACT same thing a few months ago on the Alabama, near Dixie Landing. I actually hung it with a jig, and was able to hold it for a while before the jig broke off...we dragged for it for an hour after that, with no luck.

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/20/19 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbamaboy

AND

I’m sorry, I throught you had a white and silver Triton for some reason.

That's proabably Bowtartist.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/21/19 05:23 AM

It's for sure the net ain't gonna get caught on her clothes. Y'all remember ole TChunter him and Josh claimed they could throw a 10 ft net from the prone position

Re: Castnet PSA - 10/23/19 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Standbanger
It's for sure the net ain't gonna get caught on her clothes. Y'all remember ole TChunter him and Josh claimed they could throw a 10 ft net from the prone position

Maybe with one laying on the other one.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM