Aldeer.com

Crappie Jigs

Posted By: Gulfcoast

Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 10:48 AM

I've been fishing for bass, bluegills, smallmouth and trout for 55-years, nothing i like better.

I want to try some crappie fishing this fall and winter.... would someone please suggest some good crappie jigs to use?

Brand name and color would be helpful as there are millions to choose from.

We won't be fishing in the same spot, so I won't be sneaking in on your favorite fishin hole either.

I've learned lots from Richard Gene.... the fishing machine.

Posted By: CD

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 11:26 AM

Bobby Garland baby shad in monkey milk and blue thunder have probably caught the most for me over the years. I also like the fin-s shad baits by Lunker City in similar colors.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 01:00 PM

Depends on water color.

Where I fish, Guntersville, it's usually pretty clear. I use Bobby Garland's, primarily Monkey Milk and also some Blue Ice. When it's stained I use Pink Phantom. When it get closer to dark I put on a darker color. Cajun Cricket or Tadpole or even something black.

I use a curl tail sometimes with very good success. One that seems to work everywhere sometimes is a Southern Pro Hot Grub in the color, Wildcat. I always have one of those handy.

This past year I started using Leland Lures, Crappie Magnets. I have them in 2 colors. Monkey Milk and Black/Chartreuse. I caught a lot of fish on those. They are tougher than Bobby Garlands and last longer.

The Black/Chart works really well in muddy and stained water.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 01:22 PM

Nothing like catching one on the old cork, hook, and minnow. Seeing that cork go down is priceless and pulling back on a big old slap with a 14 or 16ft breambuster pole is nothing like rod and reel. Lot more fun. As weather cools off those fish will come up more out deep water give it a try then around docks, piers, and structure. Find some lights at night for both types of fishing. Have fun!
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 02:56 PM

Black with chartreuse is what I fish 90% of the time. I like the Charlie Brewer Sliders but also use some curly tails.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 04:05 PM

vertical jig a 1/4 johnson splinter silver or gold spoon around bridges and deep structure
Posted By: mman

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 06:54 PM

And here I thought that my Bobby Garland baby shad in monkey milk was a secret... smile
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 07:59 PM

My favorite curly tails are Southern Pro, the tail seems to turn easier with a slower retrieve. BG are good as well, I also really like Leland Lure “Crappie Magnets” caught hundreds of fish of these. Now what water are you on? You looking at trolling, shooting, vertical jigging, casting, etc etc??
Posted By: SC53

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 08:10 PM

Monkey milk is usually the ticket most of the time but I had real good luck with the Big Bites curly tail in Orange with chartreuse tail last year.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 08:44 PM

All good suggestions.A little confidence in brand or color will go a long way.When it gets tough I like to cast a Keystone jig-minnow on 4# test...
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 10:27 PM

Bobby Garland Monkey Milk,Cajun Cricket or Blue Ice.
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 10:38 PM

Tell me how you are fishing the Bobby Garland. I have never been able to catch a fish using Monkey Milk or any other color.

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 11:07 PM

Thanks for all the kind remarks and info, I will put it to good use.

Anyone want to go crappie fishing?
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/07/19 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by BigEd
Tell me how you are fishing the Bobby Garland. I have never been able to catch a fish using Monkey Milk or any other color.

Cast it and let it fall in front of them and wait til your line jumps
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 12:01 AM

The key most times is fishing it slow with an occasional twitch.
Posted By: Bar7Mag

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 12:07 AM

We use sliders with slider heads. Fish them just like you would a worm or a jig for bass. We rig them weedless and often tip with a minnow. That is the most fun way that we catch them.

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 02:31 AM

I bought a bunch of sliders, just haven't used them yet.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 02:56 AM

80% of the time I tie 2, 1/32 oz. jig heads with #2 hooks on 4 lb. Crappie Pro Yellow line about 18-24" apart, sometimes 2 different colors, sometimes the same. Cast them out and count down until they reach just above the depth that you are showing them on the graph. Watch your line closely for any unnatural movement. Reel slowly, no, scratch that. Reel s-l-o-o-w-w-l-l-y-y. As mentioned above, a little twitch or even a hesitation will often trigger strikes when it's slow. I rig the same way to long line. I like the Slab Slayers and the Baby Shad equally well.

My colors are typically
Monkey Milk
Cajun Cricket
Hologram Ghost
Blue Ice
Electric Chicken
Chartreuse Black Pepper
And I'm not crazy about the name of it but Double Silver Rainbow has put a lot of Crappie in the boat.

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bar7Mag
We use sliders with slider heads. Fish them just like you would a worm or a jig for bass. We rig them weedless and often tip with a minnow. That is the most fun way that we catch them.

Do you hook em like a Texas rigged worm to rig them weedless?
Posted By: hallb

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 01:39 PM

How would you fish a Bobby Garland in a pond where you aren't using a fish finder? OK on a little cork and just let it float by the structure with little jerk every now and then? Or just cast it out and SLOWLY back to you? Or just don't mess with plastics and use minnows?

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by hallb
How would you fish a Bobby Garland in a pond where you aren't using a fish finder? OK on a little cork and just let it float by the structure with little jerk every now and then? Or just cast it out and SLOWLY back to you? Or just don't mess with plastics and use minnows?

Not sure I'd use minnows in a pond.

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by metalmuncher

Why is that?

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 04:44 PM

Why is that?

I have heard that they can reproduce pretty efficiently and overrun the pond. I don't know if it's true or not but I've been told by several people over the years not to use them in a pond. I just don't do it, haven't since I was a kid.

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 05:02 PM

Only minnows that might take over a pond would be wild caught Shad. If you bought "Toughies" at a store they wouldn't hurt a pond in any way even if they did start raising in it. Toughies are Fat Head Minnows and they don't get very large. Shiners get so big that they get un-eatable.

If you guys don't know this technique for crappie it's worth trying, especially pre and during the spawn. A 1/16 ounce jig head with a BG Baby Shad on it with the next to smallest sized "peg" styrofoam float that Wally World sells. Gotta use a 1/16 ounce head. That pulls the float about 2/3 of the way under. I'd say 1/2 of crappie hits are from below, coming up. When you see that float raise up in the water, set the hook. I use to wait for a float to go under. Now if I see it move, in any way, I set the hook.

The float I'm talking about is usually the smallest one Wally World has, but last spring I did find some that were smaller. The smallest ones slowly sink out of sight. If you get the next size bigger than the correct ones, this method doesn't work. They are orange and white.

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 06:04 PM

It's 26 acres and we put a truck load of shad in it earlier this spring. I don't think a few buckets of minnows are going to overrun it. I don't really even know if there are crappie in it or not, was just trying to figure out the best method to fish it to find out.
Posted By: Bar7Mag

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/08/19 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Originally Posted by Bar7Mag

Do you hook em like a Texas rigged worm to rig them weedless?

Yes Fur exactly like that!

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/09/19 12:15 AM

Thanks. I'm gonna try that.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Crappie Jigs - 10/12/19 04:27 PM

80% of the time I tie 2, 1/32 oz. jig heads with #2 hooks on 4 lb. Crappie Pro Yellow line about 18-24" apart, sometimes 2 different colors, sometimes the same. Cast them out and count down until they reach just above the depth that you are showing them on the graph. Watch your line closely for any unnatural movement. Reel slowly, no, scratch that. Reel s-l-o-o-w-w-l-l-y-y. As mentioned above, a little twitch or even a hesitation will often trigger strikes when it's slow. I rig the same way to long line. I like the Slab Slayers and the Baby Shad equally well.

My colors are typically
Monkey Milk
Cajun Cricket
Hologram Ghost
Blue Ice
Electric Chicken
Chartreuse Black Pepper
And I'm not crazy about the name of it but Double Silver Rainbow has put a lot of Crappie in the boat.

I’m going to try this.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM