Aldeer.com

What color paint for aluminum boat?

Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/21/19 06:19 PM

I have an 18’ aluminum boat I’m rebuilding. I thought about doing the standard jon boat green, but also thought about tan. Boat will be used to access public land on the river, fish, and pleasure cruise. No need to be camouflage for duck hunting.

What say ye?
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/21/19 06:37 PM

Not white. That’s what color I painted my Xpress. Shows every bit of dirt. I’d suggest a charcoal grey.

If you want it to look good and last, prime it with an epoxy primer and use a single stage urethane paint. Give the paint 2 weeks in the sun to cure. It will be as hard as a rock.
Posted By: bward85

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/21/19 06:38 PM

I always liked green but the last one I had was a dark brown color.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/21/19 08:26 PM

Dark brown or dark tan.

You could go fluorescent pink and wouldn’t have to worry about it getting stolen.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/21/19 10:18 PM

Charcoal Grey or dark green
Posted By: gundoc

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/21/19 10:21 PM

I personally think I'd use a lighter color so it would get as hot as it would with a dark color
Posted By: AC870

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/22/19 01:42 AM

Battleship gray.
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/22/19 06:23 PM

Orange and blue😬🤡
Posted By: AUstan23

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/27/19 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
Charcoal Grey or dark green
Posted By: 1955Retiree

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/27/19 02:48 AM

Silver!
Posted By: Bull64

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/27/19 03:43 AM

Even if you don't duck hunt-camo grin

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/27/19 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bull64

I like camo boats and 4 wheelers, not bc it’s cool, but bc it doesn’t show scratches and dirt.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/27/19 05:53 PM

Pink
Posted By: James

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/27/19 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbamaboy

I like camo boats and 4 wheelers, not bc it’s cool, but bc it doesn’t show scratches and dirt.

I like camo too, But I'm having an issue with mine now. I left my boat in the water at camp for about a month, and i went to clean up the water line last week (after taken it out) and paint is all bubbled up 🤬 Apparently water got behind the paint, and if i scrub, it I'll be looking at bare aluminum.

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/27/19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by James

I like camo too, But I'm having an issue with mine now. I left my boat in the water at camp for about a month, and i went to clean up the water line last week (after taken it out) and paint is all bubbled up 🤬 Apparently water got behind the paint, and if i scrub, it I'll be looking at bare aluminum.

Dang. What brand? Warranty?

Leaving a boat in the water is bad for it, but sometimes it can’t be helped.
Posted By: James

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/28/19 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by James

Dang. What brand? Warranty?

Leaving a boat in the water is bad for it, but sometimes it can’t be helped.

2005 Lowe Roughneck. Haven't called Lowe, but it's nearly 14 years old, so doubt it will matter. I've left it before for a few weeks but this was the first time i left it that long. Anyways i like my boat, guess I'll figure something out
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/30/19 02:39 PM

I've always thought the best way to deal with an aluminum boat was to not paint it at all. I've owned several that were painted and several that were not. The unpainted ones all still looked good when I sold them; the painted ones not so much.

If my back surgery turns out as well as I am hoping, I am thinking of buying another boat. I will definitely be looking for one that isn't painted.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 07/31/19 10:57 PM

I would go as light as possible without going white. Dark colors will be hotter and you can see better at night in a lighter colored boat. I would do a light tan with possibly some black speckles or lighter brown camo.
Posted By: Robert D.

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 08/07/19 02:24 PM

Could you polish the aluminum so it would shine like chrome? That might not be the easiest to do but seems like it would be easier to maintain (re-polish any places that get dull) and the resulting slicker finish might be easier to keep clean.

Look into Hydro Tuff for the floors. It's a stick on material that provides some cushion and heat relief I think. Done correctly I think this might really look good.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 08/07/19 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by RobertD
Could you polish the aluminum so it would shine like chrome? That might not be the easiest to do but seems like it would be easier to maintain (re-polish any places that get dull) and the resulting slicker finish might be easier to keep clean.

Look into Hydro Tuff for the floors. It's a stick on material that provides some cushion and heat relief I think. Done correctly I think this might really look good.

Bad part about that or bright white is that you will have to wear really dark sun glasses just to look at it in the summer. Fishing out of a reflector couldn't be much fun either.
Posted By: Robert D.

Re: What color paint for aluminum boat? - 08/07/19 09:07 PM

I wasn't thinking to do the inside. With the outer sides of the hull at an angle all the way, I figured the reflection would go down rather than up.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM