Aldeer.com

8 pounder spinoff

Posted By: ikillbux

8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 03:30 PM

This only applies to the COOSA river (and really for me it would primarily be Weiss, Neely, Logan, and "maybe" Lay) If someone caught an 8 pounder on the Tennessee river, or Eufala, it wouldn't even raise my eyebrow.

If you had to catch a 7 pound or bigger largemouth on the Coosa lakes to save your life, how would you do it? What lure, and what type of structure or cover, would you most expect to catch one that size?
My hypothetical situation is I'll give you from right now until dark on this coming Sunday evening to catch this fish....how would you do it?
Posted By: Ben2

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 03:37 PM

Shakey head
Posted By: BPI

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 03:41 PM

Ledges with crankbaits or jigs
Posted By: Drake322

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 03:44 PM

I could not this time of year. But, if it was mid February to mid March, there is one place I would have my greatest chances. Crank bait or a C rig. One stretch of river about 200 yards long.

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 04:09 PM

I'm pretty varied, I throw a good many different baits, I power fish shallow, I finesse fish shallow, I power fish deep / offshore, I finesse fish deep / offshore, I fish upriver, midriver, downriver, on the river, up the creeks, grass, docks, flats, rocks, bridges, ledges, humps, roadbeds, ditches, and I have less than zero idea how I'd catch that size fish. I would think my best shot is buzzbait in some grass, jig under a dock, or big crankbait/swimbait on the ledge.... but just how much of ALL that is required to catch one, because by golly it ain't worked yet!!
mad rofl
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 04:30 PM

Bullshad and id leave to other rods at the house
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 04:31 PM

Big worm on a ledge
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 04:40 PM

Big Worm/ Jig/ swimbait. Only fish when pulling water or just before a front. I'd fish a break, creek or river channel.
Maybe a boat dock, on a channel swing.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 04:44 PM

Punching gator grass

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Avengedsevenfold
Punching gator grass

Speaking of... we spent a pretty good amount of time in the back of Cedar Creek this past Saturday punching all that grass (I call it water hyacinth, that's what it looks like anyway).... it felt like every pitch was gonna be a hawg, but we actually didn't get a bite. I know they were there, we just didn't get any bites, but I was nervous as crap the whole time waiting on that thump!
Posted By: William

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 05:15 PM

I've caught a 12+ at Lay and a 9+ on Logan. I caught the Lay fish on a crankbait on a ledge. I caught the 9 on Logan on a tube in a brushpile in about 8ft of water. I caught a 6+ on Weiss off dock on a jig.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 05:29 PM

I was in the boat with a buddy when he caught a 9lb bass on lay in July 2013. We were throwing ribbit frogs in the grass. That was the longest bass I have ever seen.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 05:30 PM

With a big ol minner a circle hook and a balloon.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 06:55 PM

Offshore creek/river channel junction with water running on a C-rig...
Posted By: Geno

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 07:21 PM

Tie a bag of crawfish to a tree limb with deep water nearby. Situate several bags of ice on top of it. Leave a hole in the crawfish bag big enough for one or two to get out of at a time. Check back and when the bag is half empty fish next to it with the same crawfish and a small hook through the horn on light line with no weight. Always catches the largest fish in the area if you're into that sort of thing.

Second best way is in the turbulent tailrace water of a dam when they're pulling pretty good water. Use whatever bait is present (usually shad but not always), smallest terminal tackle and line you can get away with.

Large fish are VERY line shy except right before when a major storm cell passes.

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Southwood7

I was in the boat with a buddy when he caught a 9lb bass on lay in July 2013. We were throwing ribbit frogs in the grass. That was the longest bass I have ever seen.

Naw Southy, bass, big ones don't hit Ribbits! grin I can't count the over 6 bass I've caught on one. I consider it a weedless buzzbait.
Posted By: 1955Retiree

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 08:02 PM

Thick grass at night with a big worm or craw bait.
Posted By: BPI

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 08:06 PM

You aren't gonna find grass mats on the Coosa like in Gville.
Posted By: jb20

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Geno
Tie a bag of crawfish to a tree limb with deep water nearby. Situate several bags of ice on top of it. Leave a hole in the crawfish bag big enough for one or two to get out of at a time. Check back and when the bag is half empty fish next to it with the same crawfish and a small hook through the horn on light line with no weight. Always catches the largest fish in the area if you're into that sort of thing.

Second best way is in the turbulent tailrace water of a dam when they're pulling pretty good water. Use whatever bait is present (usually shad but not always), smallest terminal tackle and line you can get away with.

Large fish are VERY line shy except right before when a major storm cell passes.

This.. I was gonna say large live crawfish but ain't ever done it myself I just pond fish mainly but under these conditions this would be my method
Posted By: birdcarver

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 09:06 PM

Dynamite
Posted By: slgunnel

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/10/19 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
With a big ol minner a circle hook and a balloon.

Elmo would agree!! Wooo!!
Posted By: icducks

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/12/19 10:58 PM

Other than live bait I would be chunking a big swimbait or jig. And I would throw them at everything I saw from river bank to creek bank to road beds to piers.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/13/19 12:40 AM

Spook right now.
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/13/19 01:10 AM

Id just get the penny boy to take me they catch them every time they fish the coosa

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/13/19 01:29 AM

Sasquatch, whut tha heil does you know bout the Coosa??? I love me some spook fishin too. grin
Posted By: Ben2

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/13/19 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by mackdaddy
Id just get the penny boy to take me they catch them every time they fish the coosa

Ha ha ha well played. Ain't nothing to it
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: 8 pounder spinoff - 06/13/19 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ikillbux
Originally Posted by Avengedsevenfold
Punching gator grass

Speaking of... we spent a pretty good amount of time in the back of Cedar Creek this past Saturday punching all that grass (I call it water hyacinth, that's what it looks like anyway).... it felt like every pitch was gonna be a hawg, but we actually didn't get a bite. I know they were there, we just didn't get any bites, but I was nervous as crap the whole time waiting on that thump!

How deep is the water under that stuff?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM