Aldeer.com

Neely Henry Part V

Posted By: Drake322

Neely Henry Part V - 06/06/19 12:43 PM

Other thread was getting long so I decided to start another one. Went yesterday afternoon for about 2.5 hours. Caught three fish. My spots are finally out on a flat I fish chasing shad. But, the stripe are not with them. Fished some grass off river side and nada. Went into couple sloughs and for the hell of it I tied on a ribbitz. Caught one and had several blow ups and short strikes. Guys up town fishing the week day TXs are still catching 3-5# LMs from what I hear.

I did see something alarming though. Grass has completely closed a slough off for three homeowners. This slough is about 500 yards long. I would be calling APCO everyday until someone came out to spray and kill it all.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 06/06/19 12:49 PM

I need to know where that grass is that has the slough cut off????? laugh confused

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 06/06/19 12:51 PM

I would LOVE for the Coosa lakes to have grass mats like Guntersville. I know Lay has "some" grass, but it's still not the same. I would also love for Wedowee to have smallmouth, while I'm asking for ridiculous stuff...
Posted By: William

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 06/06/19 01:35 PM

Jordan has a pile of coontail on it. So does Yates. While it's not milfoil or hydrilla, it still serves the same function. Lay had a bunch of it in places.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 06/06/19 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ikillbux
I need to know where that grass is that has the slough cut off????? laugh confused

First slough on left past Tommy's, center slough. Massive tan house on right point. Breaks my heart to see the slough like that. That is where I grew up.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 06/06/19 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Drake322

First slough on left past Tommy's, center slough. Massive tan house on right point. Breaks my heart to see the slough like that. That is where I grew up.

Man, if I'm not mistaken, that slough is deep too! It's shallower in the mouth, but the center/back of that thing has close to 20' depth.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 06/06/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Drake322

Man, if I'm not mistaken, that slough is deep too! It's shallower in the mouth, but the center/back of that thing has close to 20' depth.

No, I should have said going up river. LOL. All three fingers of that slough have filled in 2 feet since the water dos not go down in winter anymore.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 06/06/19 07:52 PM

Last year the whole back of Tommy's nearly matted over. There were a few small mats, but mostly the grass (appeared to be milfoil) just topped out and clumped. I caught a lot of small fish in there one afternoon.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 06/06/19 08:24 PM

Lot of coontail was in there last year. Growing up, lillypads were in the back of it. I used to use a tiny torpedo and catch them in the middle of the day. The creek going back to the bridge used to have stumps on it too. But, like so many other things on Neely, are under 2-4' of silt.
Posted By: William

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 06/07/19 03:46 PM

There will be areas of Neely that become inaccessible by boat over the next several years. It silts in bad there.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 06/07/19 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by William
There will be areas of Neely that become inaccessible by boat over the next several years. It silts in bad there.

Because APCO does not do a winter draw down to let the creeks, sloughs and fingers clean out of silt. If I were some of these people that lives in these $500K houses in a slough overrun with these grass matts I would be coming unglued and raising hell with APCO and the Neely Henry Lake Association. They are the biggest reason the water is up during the winter now. Said it would increase the recreational value of their property. Well, it did for a while but if you cannot get to it because of the grass, how's the value now??????????????
Posted By: Heath

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 06/24/19 08:14 PM

We fished Sunday morning from daylight to 11:30. Put in at Canoe. Started in the grass and could not get a topwater bite but picked up some spots and 2.5 LM on the edge of the grass with shakey heads. No swim jig bite either. Moved a couple of places just killing time until water turned on at 8. thought the bite would pick up for us but it didn't. I let a good one get off from a shakey head under a pier and got a couple more small fish on isolated cover from shakey heads and that was it.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/02/19 01:03 PM

Has anyone been in the last two weeks? I am gonna try and go this afternoon. BFL was there this past weekend and 19# and some change won it. I have been told fishing is tough right now.

On another note, went with by Dad and nephew to Choccolocco creek last Friday to try and catch some stripe. There were NO shad hardly other than small fry. We searched for 2 hours and nothing like usual Dad said. Stripe were not there either. We caught a few spots and catfish. Disapointing to say the least but got to spend time with Daddy. Don't get to fish with him anymore because of my work.
Posted By: Fatherof2

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/02/19 09:31 PM

I was hoping to go this afternoon myself. Probably going to put in at canoe. I'm really just wanting to play with the Ultrex. If you see someone in a black aluminum ranger, holler at me.

J.R.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/03/19 12:11 PM

I did not get to go, too many things to do. I may try Friday afternoon though. Depends. Got a good friend that has asked me to cruise his timber. But damn, it is TOO HOT for that. LOL.

JR, did you get to go?

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/03/19 01:13 PM

I got a late start but I did go. I found a few fish near greensport and near shoal Creek. I fished the grass in big canoe for the last 30 minutes of the day, but I didn't catch anything in the grass. I played with my electronics and trolling motor a good bit. I hate to, but I may have to go back for a few hours on the morning of the 4th. There were a few roadbeds closer to the dam that I wanted to graph, but I just ran out of time. Good luck Friday if you can go.

J.R.
Posted By: Rip50

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/04/19 10:15 PM

Caught my personal best for Neely last Sunday 6.99 lbs. Health and no red sores.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/05/19 01:42 AM

That's a really good fish on Neely. Congratulations!

J.R.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/05/19 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rip50
Caught my personal best for Neely last Sunday 6.99 lbs. Health and no red sores.

Wow, that is a good fish especially this time of year. Congrats!
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/06/19 02:24 PM

Did you catch it deep or shallow Rip?????

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/19/19 01:28 PM

Anybody been on Neely this week? ANY grass bite whatsoever? Everybody I've talked to for 3+ weeks has said they literally has zero bites in the grass, anywhere, at all, period, don't waste your time. We have a tournament there tomorrow (out of Gadsden) and I've convinced myself to avoid the grass, but everything within me feels like that's the most likely way to get a big largemouth or two.
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/22/19 12:28 PM

How did it go Ikillbux

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/22/19 01:06 PM

I have been out on vacation last week. Have not been fishing in three weeks but will try one afternoon this week.

So, have they hit the summer lull pattern? I did hear from someone that bass was busting schooling shad in one slough they were fishing.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/22/19 01:16 PM

Well the truth is my partner and I elected to skip it, and apparently it was a good choice. We had 21 boats show up (out of 40) and according to the results only 7 boats even had a 5-fish limit. 15.1 won it, and 2nd and 3rd were 11-something and 10-something. We have two guys who fish BFLs and a few teams who fish the ABTs, and I heard three different guys say that was the single worst bass boat traffic day they'd ever fished in their lives. I was told the parking lot at Coosa Landing (I still call it City Docks) was completely full. We got permission to put in behind Gadsden State College. There was apparently a sizeable tournament out of Canoe Creek also. The guys who our tournament also won this same tournament last year, and they caught them all the way at Weiss dam last year (so I suspect that was the case again)

We went to Wedowee yesterday afternoon and caught a good many, it was good for that lake this time of year.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/22/19 01:35 PM

Dang. Sounds brutal. I heard Coosa Landing was packed.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/22/19 02:47 PM

Well the truth is my partner and I elected to skip it, and apparently it was a good choice. We had 21 boats show up (out of 40) and according to the results only 7 boats even had a 5-fish limit. 15.1 won it, and 2nd and 3rd were 11-something and 10-something. We have two guys who fish BFLs and a few teams who fish the ABTs, and I heard three different guys say that was the single worst bass boat traffic day they'd ever fished in their lives. I was told the parking lot at Coosa Landing (I still call it City Docks) was completely full. We got permission to put in behind Gadsden State College. There was apparently a sizeable tournament out of Canoe Creek also. The guys who our tournament also won this same tournament last year, and they caught them all the way at Weiss dam last year (so I suspect that was the case again)

We went to Wedowee yesterday afternoon and caught a good many, it was good for that lake this time of year.

Some of the trails have outlawed jet motors for the guys that go all way in dead river and who used to run WAY up in Canoe Creek past portwoods bridge.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/24/19 04:54 AM

I fished NH for maybe Second time all year this evening. Fished 430 to 830. Me and a buddy had I fish a non keeper in 4 hours. Conditions were perfect. Clouds at times, Wind, Current. Enjoyed going but I'm clueless as to what's going on.
Posted By: Livintohunt19

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/24/19 03:25 PM

Does anyone no how long it takes to run from city docks to Weiss dam and how sketchy is it?

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/24/19 03:42 PM

Very sketchy in areas. Running about 55 it should take you about 20-25 minutes.
Posted By: Livintohunt19

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 07/24/19 07:01 PM

Thanks drake322
Posted By: Bows4evr

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 08/12/19 07:31 PM

Is there any bass in neely Henry besides stripes??? Just curious not having any luck
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 08/12/19 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bows4evr
Is there any bass in neely Henry besides stripes??? Just curious not having any luck

Fishing up or down river?

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 08/12/19 10:21 PM

Wrong time of year for sure...…………………………..

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 08/13/19 11:16 AM

Been putting in at the dam and fishing from rainbow landing down just ain't catching many

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 08/21/19 10:32 PM

Anybody been on neely this week bass fishing?

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 08/22/19 02:30 PM

The ramp under 77 bridge has been empty every afternoon this week except for same truck. That should tell you how fishing is right now.

Re: Neely Henry Part V - 08/22/19 11:03 PM

Yeah someone told me it was good right now and I said not for me
© 2024 ALDEER.COM