Aldeer.com

Bass fishermen and spinning rods

Posted By: tfd1224

Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 04:56 PM

I was sitting here eating lunch and thinking about something and decided to ask on here. I’ve noticed over the years that bass fishermen hate spinning rods and reels and often refer to them as sissy sticks and fairy wands and act like you can’t catch a bass on anything other than a baitcaster. I think this is all done under the false assumption that bass fight hard, which they do not, and they act like a spinning rod just won’t hold up to the strength of a bass. Meanwhile, in many types of saltwater fishing, where the fish fight much harder and get much bigger, the spinning rod is the preferred rod because of the stronger drag systems and higher line capacity. I have caught a 43 lb blue cat and several stripers up to 26 lbs on the same exact spinning rods and reels that i use to bass fish. I guess my question is why is there so much hate for spinning rods in the bass world? It’s like some of y’all are in a dark corner that you refuse to come out of. It would make it much easier to skip under docks and present some of the tiny lures y’all like to use. I just don’t get it.
Posted By: buzzard

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 05:01 PM

Not sure where you are coming from. About every serious bass fisherman i know has at least one and most 2-3 just for finesse fishing if nothing else.
I don't go to the lake without my 6,6 med/fast. I've caught way to many fish on that thing to ever leave it at home.
if they aren't using one they are missing out on bites in my opinion.
Posted By: Madmax0818

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 05:06 PM

I always keep one spinning setup on my deck. I use this for skipping senko or trick worms. Being the majority of my fishing is flipping pads or grass a spinning setup just doesn’t cut it. For those that say it will come with me to Eufaula and you’ll understand. When the bite is tough I can skip a bait with my spinning rod under trees and docks to at least catch a few.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Madmax0818
I always keep one spinning setup on my deck. I use this for skipping senko or trick worms. Being the majority of my fishing is flipping pads or grass a spinning setup just doesn’t cut it. For those that say it will come with me to Eufaula and you’ll understand. When the bite is tough I can skip a bait with my spinning rod under trees and docks to at least catch a few.

I’ve got spinning rods that are light enough to use all day and would pull 10 pounder after 10 pounder out of the weeds and have a much stronger drag than any baitcaster you own. Next

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by buzzard
Not sure where you are coming from. About every serious bass fisherman i know has at least one and most 2-3 just for finesse fishing if nothing else.
I don't go to the lake without my 6,6 med/fast. I've caught way to many fish on that thing to ever leave it at home.

That’s what I’m saying, but there are bass fishermen that absolutely hate them.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by tfd1224
I was sitting here eating lunch and thinking about something and decided to ask on here. I’ve noticed over the years that bass fishermen hate spinning rods and reels and often refer to them as sissy sticks and fairy wands and act like you can’t catch a bass on anything other than a baitcaster. I think this is all done under the false assumption that bass fight hard, which they do not, and they act like a spinning rod just won’t hold up to the strength of a bass. Meanwhile, in many types of saltwater fishing, where the fish fight much harder and get much bigger, the spinning rod is the preferred rod because of the stronger drag systems and higher line capacity. I have caught a 43 lb blue cat and several stripers up to 26 lbs on the same exact spinning rods and reels that i use to bass fish. I guess my question is why is there so much hate for spinning rods in the bass world? It’s like some of y’all are in a dark corner that you refuse to come out of. It would make it much easier to skip under docks and present some of the tiny lures y’all like to use. I just don’t get it.

You're spot on, there absolutely is some goofy "faux pas" about using a spinning rod. I think it's a combination of "macho man" (I've got to use a 7-1/2 foot X-heavy and 80# braid and try to destroy every fish that bites) and "I ain't no Yankee" (predominantly the spinning rod is an "up North" tool). The good ol' boy power-fishermen around here think they look sissy, and that tournaments can only be won by "power fishing". By and large, most fishermen are "stupid fishermen".....no, they aren't literally unintelligent, I just mean that the concept of putting the trolling motor on high and hitting every piece of visible cover along the bank is a simple concept---anybody can do that, it takes no super skill or thought. It's mindless ("stupid") fishing. And 98% of that kind of fishing would be done with lures that are best fished with baitcasters (buzzbaits, jigs, chatterbait, spinnerbait, squarebills/crankbaits, frogs)

Seriously, there's a big section of scattered grass right there, and there are two 5-lb bass in it. You can throw a buzzbait with a baitcaster and big braided line and catch them (and about 15/20% of those fish will be lost). You can also throw a Senko on spinning gear and smaller braided line and catch them (and virtually never, ever, ever lose a fish). 99% of your local-yocal bass guys will IMMEDIATELY (with a cocky tone of voice) say "Give me the baitcaster and buzzbait". Truth is, either way is 100% fine, zero problem with either choice. So I don't know why (other than macho-ism) there's such dislike for spinning gear.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 05:46 PM

I’ve got spinning rods that are light enough to use all day and would pull 10 pounder after 10 pounder out of the weeds and have a much stronger drag than any baitcaster you own. Next
That’s good you can fish a spinning rod in grass and catch 10 lbers all day. What I’m saying is when I flip a mat of hyacinth I want to know I can get him out and a spinning reel flat out ain’t gonna do it for me. If I wanted to play with him all day maybe I would. I love my spinning setup but it has its uses and for me flipping isn’t one of them.
Posted By: Acorn

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 06:09 PM

I'd like to get more confident using a spinning rod. Do ya'll use mono, flouro, or braid. If you use braid, do you use a flouro leader? What knot do you tie?

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 06:28 PM

That’s good you can fish a spinning rod in grass and catch 10 lbers all day. What I’m saying is when I flip a mat of hyacinth I want to know I can get him out and a spinning reel flat out ain’t gonna do it for me. If I wanted to play with him all day maybe I would. I love my spinning setup but it has its uses and for me flipping isn’t one of them.

I didn’t say i could, i said it would. You know they make more than one size of spinning reel and you can put line stronger than 8 lb mono on them right?

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Acorn
I'd like to get more confident using a spinning rod. Do ya'll use mono, flouro, or braid. If you use braid, do you use a flouro leader? What knot do you tie?
i use all 3 and when i use a flouro leader, i use leader material, not flouro fishing line and i tie an Albright knot.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 06:36 PM

i use all 3 and when i use a flouro leader, i use leader material, not flouro fishing line and i tie an Albright knot.

what's the difference in the line and leader material?

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 06:39 PM

I use braid with a flouro leader. I have two spinning rods with 20# braid and 10# leader, and a 3rd rod with 30# braid (sometimes I use straight braid, but often use the same 10# leader, and have also stepped up to heavier flouro leader). I see the pros use ultra-tiny line on theirs, like they use 10# braid and 6# flouro, I haven't figured that one out yet. I fish at least one crazy-clear lake, and not once have I ever felt like the fish were seeing my line. (I mean seriously, I catch fish there on a doggone A-rig!)

I use a short leader too....I don't ever want the knot to touch my spool (I see some of the pros using a 30' leader, but sheesh that defeats the purpose, right??). So I reel the connector knot about halfway between my reel and first eyelet, then leave about 6" - 8" of line hanging off the tip of the rod. That's my leader length. I've used all the popular knots, but have decided the uni-to-uni is just more dependable and gives me no problems. It's true, the RP/Albright/Alberto knots are "smaller", but they still make a noise going through the eyelets, and I have had failure with them before, NEVER once had a failure with uni-to-uni. I tried one recently called "Slim Beauty"....good grief, I needed a nap.

Best advice I can give on this though is use an EXPENSIVE braid, do NOT scrimp here. An expensive braid is a limp braid, and you absolutely want a limp braid on spinning gear. I have settled on Seaguar Kanzen or Smackdown. (Conversely, I want a cheap, stiff braid on baitcast stuff....just the basic ol PowerPro)
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 07:35 PM

I use spinning rods for throwing slip cork setups.

I use #15 braid main line with a 10# fluorocarbon leader with a Double Uni knot.
Posted By: HBWALKER14

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 07:39 PM

So do yall use a right handed retrieve with baitcaster, and left hand retrieve with spinning reel? Or am i just a dip chit?

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb

what's the difference in the line and leader material?
leader material is harder, more abrasion resistant, sometimes has a dull finish so it doesn’t shine underwater and ties mating knots much better
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by HBWALKER14
So do yall use a right handed retrieve with baitcaster, and left hand retrieve with spinning reel? Or am i just a dip chit?

I do. It's most comfortable to me.

I love spinning rods, but I can never get the damn line on them to not twist up, form a loop, and knot deep in the spool. Pretty much only use an ultralight spinner.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 07:45 PM

Yep, that's what I do, always thought it was odd.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 07:47 PM

i know i do, i guess it just feels natural because it’s what I’ve always done. I know one thing, I’ve got some buddies that use the spinning reel on the right side and they have swapped my handles over and I’ve had to visually look down to see where the handle was.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 07:48 PM

At least no one uses them upside down and backwards like the damn yankees do.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by odocoileus

I love spinning rods, but I can never get the damn line on them to not twist up, form a loop, and knot deep in the spool. Pretty much only use an ultralight spinner.

If you get line twist, just let out 100 yards or so behind the boat without a lure on it and idle for about 45 seconds. Twist will be gone.
Posted By: klay

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 07:55 PM

Use braid with a leader. There's no memory in braid. Mine has had the same line on it for around 6 years. There's still no line twist when I use it. Just be sure to use a backing on the spool, or the line will loosen up and won't real in.
Posted By: HBWALKER14

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1

Yep, that's what I do, always thought it was odd.

Same here. Fished that way my whole life. Always though it was strange

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by klay

Use braid with a leader. There's no memory in braid. Mine has had the same line on it for around 6 years. There's still no line twist when I use it. Just be sure to use a backing on the spool, or the line will loosen up and won't real in.

I forgot to add, my speck/trout rod is a spinning reel with braid and I haven't had a problem, but I've probably only used it 5-6 times. Gonna give it a try on one of my bass rods.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 08:39 PM

If you get line twist, just let out 100 yards or so behind the boat without a lure on it and idle for about 45 seconds. Twist will be gone.

Also, make sure that when you are spooling line onto a spinning reel that the line coming off of your bulk spool and going onto the reel is coming off the bottom of the bulk spool. That way it goes on the reel without twist.
With a baitcaster, the line coming off the spool and onto the reel should come off the top and spinning reel off the bottom.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 08:41 PM

Acorn, braid to leader knots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_72BbxuDKRM
Posted By: bama1971

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 08:51 PM

I always do a uni to uni from my braid to leader. Or braid to braid to extend

Let me know if there is a better

Edit: Nevermind perch, watched your video and it’s first. So I’ll stick with it. I’m good at it and can do them quickly

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 09:04 PM

I didn’t say i could, i said it would. You know they make more than one size of spinning reel and you can put line stronger than 8 lb mono on them right?
yes, I throw a 400 series Revo with 18# braid and love it. I need to pick up another to have a spare.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by abolt300

Also, make sure that when you are spooling line onto a spinning reel that the line coming off of your bulk spool and going onto the reel is coming off the bottom of the bulk spool. That way it goes on the reel without twist.
With a baitcaster, the line coming off the spool and onto the reel should come off the top and spinning reel off the bottom.

Yep, tried that. It always twists up regardless of what I do.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 09:13 PM

I spool mine with no regard, go outside and tie it to the fence, walk backwards until spooled out and reel back in tight with tip up and pressure. Never had any trouble, but im rarely largemouth bass fishing and using heavier braid

(But again, that’s probably something I’ve cooked up on my own that isn’t the most effective way)
Posted By: James

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 09:22 PM

I bet that Turds that absolutely "hate them" hate them because they don't know how to use them 🤣🤣🤣 Hell my FNL and his brother still don't/can't use em lmao

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by bama1971

I spool mine with no regard, go outside and tie it to the fence, walk backwards until spooled out and reel back in tight with tip up and pressure. Never had any trouble, but im rarely largemouth bass fishing and using heavier braid

(But again, that’s probably something I’ve cooked up on my own that isn’t the most effective way)

I have tried that with mono, even going so far as to tie to a barrel swivel to eliminate any twist as the line winds on the reel. I just don't have luck with mono and spinning reels. Even my lightweights will eventually throw that dreaded knot.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by James

I bet that Turds that absolutely "hate them" hate them because they don't know how to use them 🤣🤣🤣 Hell my FNL and his brother still don't/can't use em lmao

I rode to a gps number, hooked a cigar minnow for a girl, dropped it down, hit, hooked it up, handed it to her and turned to do the same for my wife.

Turned back around and she had it upside down and had (backwards) reeled the handle off a VanStaal. I caught it all before it went real bad

Amazed me that it could happen, but I guess she hadn’t ever held a spinning reel, and I should have asked
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 10:14 PM

Ive caught a bunch of 8,10,&12lb bass on spinning rod & reels. Most of them were 25yrs ago when I was broke as crap and only bought the cheap ones and stren clear blue 8lb test. I caught a 20lb striper 2yrs ago on an ultralight spinning reel with 4lb test on it. Ive caught a bunch of 36-40inch redfish on a spinner and 12lb test, got spooled by some too. Cant catch big fish on spinning reel and rod is hogwash.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/16/19 11:24 PM

That's correct, I do. I'm right handed, so that's my baitcaster setup. But I reel with left hand with spinning reels. I know that sounds crazy, but it's what feels right! LOL
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 12:47 AM

If I had to guess about the original statement, I think accuracy could come in to play. Add the flipping of the bale to release and then back down to retrieve......for a serious tournament fisherman, this time adds up.
I am pretty accurate with my spinning gear(inshore), but if my life depended on hitting a solo cup, I am throwing the baitcaster.
20lb braid with a 15lb FL leader, correct drag setting(2000 to 4000 series reels)and 200 yds of line will land most fish that swim inshore. You might have to chase a jack, but it can be landed.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by alhawk
If I had to guess about the original statement, I think accuracy could come in to play. Add the flipping of the bale to release and then back down to retrieve......for a serious tournament fisherman, this time adds up.
I am pretty accurate with my spinning gear(inshore), but if my life depended on hitting a solo cup, I am throwing the baitcaster.
20lb braid with a 15lb FL leader, correct drag setting(2000 to 4000 series reels)and 200 yds of line will land most fish that swim inshore. You might have to chase a jack, but it can be landed.

🤪
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 12:11 PM

Spool them just like a bait caster and all that crap will stop. I started that last year and I have not had one "wind knot" since.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by alhawk

I can hit any spot, and time, any how with my spinning rods. I also have the bail flipped by hand (the way it's supposed to be done) and my hand on the reel, the instant my bait touches the water.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 12:14 PM

I don't know why any of you morans swap the handle to the left side. Eva dang one of your baitcasters has the handle on the right side.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
I don't know why any of you morans swap the handle to the left side. Eva dang one of your baitcasters has the handle on the right side.

A lot of spinning reels brands don’t adjust. They’re left only
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 03:07 PM

so do you swap hands after the cast like a bait caster? all my spinning reel handles are on the left side because I cast right handed it's easier to work the bail and reel with your left hand
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 03:09 PM

I've never seen one that doesnt adjust I've got about 12 or 13 leaned in the corner and everyone will swap sides if the button on the opposite side of handle dont screw out sometimes you have to hold the spool and unscrew the actual handle.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 03:46 PM

I have tried that with mono, even going so far as to tie to a barrel swivel to eliminate any twist as the line winds on the reel. I just don't have luck with mono and spinning reels. Even my lightweights will eventually throw that dreaded knot.

Couple tips. Manually flip the bail with your hand after then cast rather than reeling it closed. This will help eliminate twist dramatically. At the end of the day when you are coming in, cut your bait off and stick the rod tip down in the water and free spool the reel until all the line is off the spool. Reel it all back on while the boat is moving. The water will provide a little resistance so that the line goes on the spool properly and by not having a bait on the line, it will twist freely in the water as you reel it up and get all of the line twist out of it. If youre ever around the big charter boats coming in that have been using big spinning reels, you'll see the deckhands on pretty much everyone of them doing this every afternoon on the way in or in the mornings on the way out to the spots. Last thing is, never reel or try to reel when a fish is pulling drag. That'll put so much twist in one that it will be unusable until you spool it all off and do the trick using the boat. I used to get so frustrated with customers doing that. If they did it on a big fish, I'd just put that rod to the side and give them another because I knew that after just a couple more casts, I'd be having to deal with big knotted up mess half way up the rod.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by abolt300

Couple tips. Manually flip the bail with your hand after then cast rather than reeling it closed. This will help eliminate twist dramatically. At the end of the day when you are coming in, cut your bait off and stick the rod tip down in the water and free spool the reel until all the line is off the spool. Reel it all back on while the boat is moving. The water will provide a little resistance so that the line goes on the spool properly and by not having a bait on the line, it will twist freely in the water as you reel it up and get all of the line twist out of it. If youre ever around the big charter boats coming in that have been using big spinning reels, you'll see the deckhands on pretty much everyone of them doing this every afternoon on the way in or in the mornings on the way out to the spots.

Yep, good advice. I'll also add, certain brands of reels are much better/worse about it than others. That's not really something that's talked about, but guys who use spinning stuff frequently know it. Daiwa spinning reels are BY FAR the best in my experience (even the less expensive Daiwa reels almost never loop up), Shimano would also be very good (but the lower end models are worse). Also, the single greatest fix is to use braid, and again do NOT use a cheap, stiff braid. If you bought a Daiwa BG or a Shimano Nasci/Stradic (just for examples), and spooled it with 20# Seaguar Smackdown braid, take it out in the yard immediately and pull off more line than you would ever make a cast length, pinch it between your fingers and reel it back in, you'll seldom/never have any twisting / knot issues. I literally cannot remember the last twist knot I've had, and I use spinning reels every trip I take.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by GKelly

I've never seen one that doesnt adjust I've got about 12 or 13 leaned in the corner and everyone will swap sides if the button on the opposite side of handle dont screw out sometimes you have to hold the spool and unscrew the actual handle.

the ones Im referring to are higher end ones that are intended for salt use. they're sealed, don't have a button on the other side. They are just one sided.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 06:15 PM

Whatcha talkin about Willis 🤣🤣🤣 Yes all my baitcasters are on the right side, and my spinning reels are on the left, they just feel weird to me on the right
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 07:39 PM

I use the $30 Shimano. (Sienna?)
They have a pretty good drag and last about 5 years.
Think I have 3 or 4.
$90 St. Croix rods. ($120 now)
Either 8 or 10 Ande mono.
And normally throwing a Spook Junior, most of the day.
Works fine for me.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 07:45 PM

Yeah, but you squat to pee Ernie!! rofl
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 08:10 PM

Why you been watching me pee? 🤔

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 08:16 PM

Like which ones? I have Pfleugers, Shimanos, and Diawa’s. They all swap over

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 08:19 PM

so do you swap hands after the cast like a bait caster? all my spinning reel handles are on the left side because I cast right handed it's easier to work the bail and reel with your left hand

No I cast left handed and reel right handed
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 09:07 PM

You naturally left handed or just have a slight touch of tard? grin
Posted By: Clem

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 09:14 PM

I can't retrieve a spinning rod with my right hand to save my life, but I couldn't use a left-handed baitcaster any better. I'd look like a Jerry Lewis movie trying to do that.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by IDOT

You naturally left handed or just have a slight touch of tard? grin

rofl

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/17/19 10:17 PM

Like which ones? I have Pfleugers, Shimanos, and Diawa’s. They all swap over

To my knowledge, no Van Staal switches over. I assumed the higher end reels in other brands are same way. Shimano Stella, etc. I might be dead wrong. Wouldn’t be first time.... today

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/18/19 11:39 AM

IDOT I am left handed but probably some of both is correct

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/18/19 12:59 PM

IDOT I am left handed but probably some of both is correct

grin

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/19/19 01:21 AM

If I try to reel a spinning reel with my left hand, I end up holding the rod handle and moving the rod forward and back in circles to wind in the line.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/19/19 01:28 AM

If I try to reel a spinning reel with my left hand, I end up holding the rod handle and moving the rod forward and back in circles to wind in the line.

rofl That’s the most awesome thing I’ve read all day.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/19/19 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC

rofl That’s the most awesome thing I’ve read all day.

I meant to say reel handle. I look like somebody having a seizure trying to reel one with the handle on the left side. I also turn the steering wheel on the boat like I'm driving when somebody is driving my truck, pulling the boat out of the water. I do it every dad gum time. I guess I think I'm steering the trailer. LOL

Psychologists should probably do a study on me.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/19/19 02:17 AM

That’s funny Fur.

I reel with the right hand on baitcasters and with the left hand on spinning reels. I have a big touch of the tard.

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/19/19 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by joshm28
That’s funny Fur.

I reel with the right hand on baitcasters and with the left hand on spinning reels. I have a big touch of the tard.

Hell thats normal...probably still have a slight touch of it though grin
Posted By: AC870

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/19/19 04:14 AM

I swapped a couple my spinning rod handles over to left side tonight. Gonna try it. I think it might save a little time. We’ll see.
I’m on a spinning rod kick again. There are 5 or 6 over in my little corner where I mess with tackle. Got a 7-foot inshore rod rigged up. I’m gonna toss a jig around docks and grass edges with it.
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/19/19 03:17 PM

I've always got at least two in the boat.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/22/19 04:32 PM

I highly prefer a spinning rod!
Posted By: mman

Re: Bass fishermen and spinning rods - 04/22/19 05:08 PM

I seldom use spinning rods, if ever, for bass, at least when given a choice.

I love fishing shallow water (under 12 ft) and am usually around a lot of grass and a bait caster fits my style and preferences better for fishing in hydrilla and/or milfoil. I grew up fishing spinning reels and don't have anything against them, but I just love fishing with a bait caster. I cast right handed and reel left handed with either a bait caster or a spinning rig. However, if I fish for panfish/crappie, I like spinning equipment.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM