Aldeer.com

Who has caught a 3 pound crappie.

Posted By: OutdoorsAL

Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 07:58 PM

After seeing beebo post about a 2.4 pounder, it reminded me of one my neighbor caught thirty years ago on Lake Eufaula. It was 18 inches and weighed exactly three pounds. I personally have never come close to that but do know they exist and get caught occasionally. I have caught several two pounders and two or three that may have been an ounce or two above that.. what is your biggest crappie? Or the biggest you have personally seen.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 08:07 PM

I've got a buddy who caught a 3 lber on Mitchell while fishing with his dad when we were in middle school.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 08:09 PM

my mom caught one when i was about 15. i was super jealous. i've caught probably 150 to 200 that were over 2 pounds but have never caught a 3 pounder. i did have a huge crappie come up with a 9 incher that i caught this year. i'm pretty sure it was trying to eat the 9 incher. it had to be 4 pounds or more, that's the biggest one i have ever laid my eyes on.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 08:18 PM

A buddy and I were fishing Holt a year ago, and he caught a crappie on a spinner bait that was 3.1 #
Posted By: Stob

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 08:35 PM

I have caught 3 over 3 and one 4.
Both off Logan Martin back in the 80's.
Back when I actually had time to fish
like I wanted.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 08:51 PM

Several
Posted By: klay

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 09:02 PM

I caught a 2lb 15oz. one. Liked 1 oz. being 3. Caught it on a six inch lizard Carolina rigged.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 09:42 PM

My dad has a couple mounted that his dad caught years ago.....I don't know how much they weighed, but they're hefty. They're also more greenish than the silver ones you usually see around here. Think they came out of either Sardis or Arkabutla, but I won't swear to it.
Posted By: inatree

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stob
like I wanted.

That's when there were plenty of good fish in there. People from up North have fished it to death and keeping way to many over the limit.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 10:01 PM

It takes a monstrous crappie to weigh 3 lbs. I haven’t caught one that big and I’m not referring to anyone above who has replied but there have been a whole lot of 2 or 3 pound crappie claimed to be caught that have never seen a set of scales. I had never weighed a crappie until last season spring and I weighed a whole lot of crappie last year and my biggest was 1lb 14 oz. for the year. It would have weighed well over 2 lbs if it had still been full of eggs but it wasn’t. It was a big ol crappie and if I hadn’t weighed it I would have guessed it weighed 2 1/2 lbs.

I’ve heard lots of bass fishermen who say they’ve caught 2-3 pound crappie while bass fishing but none of them ever said they weighed them.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 10:11 PM

My mom caught one back around 1970-72. We fished Short Creek in March every year for crappie back then. It usually wasn't difficult to catch a limit of very close back then. We stopped at Paul Berry's store in Warrenton on the way home and weighed her fish. It bumped the scale to 3lbs 3oz.
Posted By: klay

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
It takes a monstrous crappie to weigh 3 lbs. I haven’t caught one that big and I’m not referring to anyone above who has replied but there have been a whole lot of 2 or 3 pound crappie claimed to be caught that have never seen a set of scales. I had never weighed a crappie until last season spring and I weighed a whole lot of crappie last year and my biggest was 1lb 14 oz. for the year. It would have weighed well over 2 lbs if it had still been full of eggs but it wasn’t. It was a big ol crappie and if I hadn’t weighed it I would have guessed it weighed 2 1/2 lbs.

I’ve heard lots of bass fishermen who say they’ve caught 2-3 pound crappie while bass fishing but none of them ever said they weighed them.

Mine was weighed. Told my wife if it went 3,I was having it mounted. I released it over 1 once.
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 11:09 PM

Myself, no. But sometime around 1975 my stepmother caught one that was 18-3/4" long and almost as thick as Daddy's beer can. I'd say within 1/8" of the beer can thickness. We never did weigh it because we didn't have a scale. We did however have a small tape so it got measured but not weighed. It was released along with about 30 more because Daddy didn't want to clean fish that day. Any educated guesses as to the weight?

My best was 16-1/2" but it was post spawn so probably less than 2 lb.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/14/19 11:09 PM

I caught one when I was a teenager that was certainly over 3, but no it wasn't weighed. The body on that sucker was big as a dinner plate and it had a huge gut. This one came out of a private lake on a rooster tail, I brought it home and kept it in my grandparents' deep freezer forever. Nobody knows what happened to it, I'm guessing my grandma threw it away eventually.
Posted By: icducks

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 12:30 AM

I have caught One weighed three lbs 1 ounce and it was caught on a small bull shad on guntersville. Caught a 2-14 on Weiss on a minner.
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 01:14 AM

I dont know what my best has weighed but ive caught a bunch between 16 and 17. I bought a set of scales just to check em now. I dont know if id ever mount one. Im sure i would if it was a gargantuan 4lber or something. Idk.
Posted By: Be_Cam

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by inatree
Originally Posted by Stob
like I wanted.

That's when there were plenty of good fish in there. People from up North have fished it to death and keeping way to many over the limit.

Them Yankees are Same way on Wedowee also. 2lb 9 ozs is my biggest. Caught piles of em at the 2lb mark.
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 02:10 AM

Yes I have. But the largest one I have ever seen was one my then 6 yr old hung and fought for a while. It came off when I tried to lip it like a dummy. Had the mouth of a 4-5lb largemouth. We still talk about it, absolute stud and in the same location I've caught a few over 3.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 02:36 AM

Friend caught a bigun in sun lake apt pond in rhe 90s. Mounted it. It was huge
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 02:44 AM

I have caught two. Actually on back to back casts in the late 1990s. Both weighed on Post Office scales. One went 3.4 the other 3.15. Friend of mine caught the state record the next day from the same lake in Jefferson County. I still have the magazine article from Alabama Game and fish with my name in print. Lol. Never have caught another one over two pounds. I personally saw over 7 crappie caught on that lake over 3lbs that season. It was amazing and although some were released back I never saw another 3lb crappie caught from there again. Did see plenty of 2lbers though.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 02:53 AM

My oldest daughter and I was in Canoe creek one evening shooting piers after school one day and she caught one that weighed a little over 3....I was moving to the next pier when she hung it and I thought she got hung up back there and it pissed me off cause I had told her not to t throw out behind the boat while we was moving to the next pier..... slap...I seen it boil up and my knees got to knockin.... crazy .she got to squealing and stomping her feet fighting that fish and when she finally got it up and I seen that it was a big ol crappie I started coaching and hollerin at her to be easy...lol...Only fish I ever had mounted cause she asked how much it would cost and that she would use her birthday money she had saved to pay for it....I put a little with it and Its hanging on the living room wall to this day.... smile she was 11 then....fixin to be 30 now.... frown ...Only 3 pound crappie I ever laid my eyes on and I bet I've caught hundreds over 2 to 2 and 3/4...It was a great day and we still talk about it all the time... thumbup
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 04:01 AM

My dad claims he caught the state record crappie. He said his football coach used to take them camping and fishing and he caught a crappie that was huge. They weighed it then went to town to find out what the record was. He had the record beat, returned to camp to get crappie and take it to town to be certified and coach had filleted and fried her up. That's the story he tells anyway and he dont lie.
Posted By: dnolen

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 04:30 AM

I didn’t have scales but caught one that had to close or over. The back hook on a dd22 was hung in its throat. Held the whole bait in its mouth.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 09:47 AM

Never caught one, but have taken a few. Messican food does it to me once in a while!.
Posted By: hayman

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 10:20 AM

I can’t help but notice there are no pictures of said crappie. whistle
Posted By: lances

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 12:09 PM

I caught them over 2 but never a 3 pounder. Use to go to wedowee every fall for a week. Really enjoyed it
Posted By: MANGLER

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 12:10 PM

I caught one on Bankhead about 10 years ago. It weighed 3.0. I kept it about 2 hours wanting to have it mounted but ended up just filleting it. I've got pic's but I have to dig.
Posted By: Ryano

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 02:30 PM

I have caught two that were over 18 inches. I didn't weigh either of them but I don't think there is any way they were close to 3lbs. Both were from farm ponds, one on a fluke while bass fishing and the other on a hair crappie jig.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

My dad has a couple mounted that his dad caught years ago.....I don't know how much they weighed, but they're hefty. They're also more greenish than the silver ones you usually see around here. Think they came out of either Sardis or Arkabutla, but I won't swear to it.

This is the only pic I could find of them.....the top one is significantly bigger, but it's a bad angle of that one. Don't know if it'd go 3 or not, but still bigger than any I've ever caught.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hoytdad10

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 03:13 PM

My largest is 2 lbs 3 oz. Came out of Eufaula in 2002. I havent caught any close to that since.
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 03:28 PM

Caught one when I was a kid that was 17 1/4" . Didnt weigh it but it was thick. Probably not 3 lbs but it was a good un
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 04:07 PM

Thought I had a few times, but scales said no. lol
Posted By: hayman

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 04:22 PM

The largest that I have ever landed weighed 2.3 - 2.4 pounds and I have caught several fish that weighed that but I cannot seem to beat that weight. I have had bigger fish hooked but never landed one.
Posted By: James

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 05:48 PM

I've taken one
Posted By: birdcarver

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/15/19 05:59 PM

Fur I use the scales on the side of the fish to weigh all my fish. rofl
Posted By: Drycreek

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/16/19 03:14 AM

4.3 Black Crappie 21 inches caught in the Saint Johns river in Florida in 1993 would have beat the state record but was on a Sunday evening at about 7:00 couldn’t find an official scorer until after about 10:30 that night. It was a female full of eggs and due to stress in a live tank she had expelled a lot of eggs as well as just flat out weight loss when he got there to weigh her she was 2 ozs less than the record of 3.83. Had a facsimile mounted but it was 3 inches shorter than the real fish and 4inches less in girth. The taxidermist swore it was the largest facsimile that he could get. All okay though I released her for some one else to dream about catching it. Caught three more that weighed from 3.5 to 3.78 lbs in the next three days. I will try to figure out how to post a pic of the mount and have a picture of the actual fish if I can find it it’s here somewhere but with the move I still haven’t found everything.
Posted By: tmhrmh

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/21/19 02:12 PM

My wife caught one when she was about 12 years old that was 4 ounces shy of the world record at the time..

I believe it was 4lbs 13oz... They weighed it after it set in the freezer for a month and was certified by the local game warden I believe...
Red Creek taxidermy in vancleave, ms mounted it for her..

It's a monster for sure... Her dad thought it was a bass when they got it in the boat and after a little bit figured out it was a crappie...

It's still on his wall and he won't let me have it...
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/22/19 04:03 PM

Spring 2007 we caught monsters every night for more than a week on minnows between 9pm an 6am...i caught a white crappie that weighed 3lb 2oz an my daddy caught a black that weighed 3lb 7oz. We caught probly 350-375 fish in bout 6 days with me,daddy, an my brother. Out of those fish id say at least 200 were 2lb plus. We had them layed out on a tarp in the driveway an took a picture, but my house burnt in 2010 and ive yet to find the picture so i fear its gone. Havent caughtem like that or that big since. We was catchin skillet fillers an i dont think any of us realized just how big them fish were.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/23/19 03:21 AM

This crappie weighed 3-7.
I’ll post more about it next week.
It’s the largest crappie I’ve ever laid eyes on.

[Linked Image]

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/23/19 10:14 AM

AC I’ve looked at that picture a bunch of times. I’d love to know for sure which species that fish is. I can’t 100% sure make it either one by color. I’m wondering if it isn’t a naturally occurring hybrid of the two species.
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/23/19 10:42 AM

Its a cross between a crappie and a ditch pickle looks like lol. Was the fish dead in the pic AC? Dont there color go away after theyve died fur?
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/23/19 12:04 PM

I’ve got one that is 3lb 4oz. It’s at mom and dads. I caught it in the mid 80s over spring break on Airplane Holler.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/23/19 01:02 PM

It was dead. He kept it in a basket for a day waiting on me to get there.
There’s going to be a story in the paper about it Wednesday.
I’ll post more pics and a link then.

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/24/19 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by bowtarist
Its a cross between a crappie and a ditch pickle looks like lol. Was the fish dead in the pic AC? Dont there color go away after theyve died fur?

That's probably what it is. I didn't think about that.
Posted By: tombo51

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/24/19 05:02 PM

Seen 2 over 3 weighed in at crappie tournament at Bankhead yesterday to bad they weren’t mine
Posted By: mman

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/25/19 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

I used to live in Mississippi and there are some real slabs that are caught from these lakes. I used to live not too far from Arkabutla. One guy I worked with caught a couple over 4 lbs there. One he had mounted on his wall and the other was at the taxidermist when the freezer went out and ruined it. He was sick about that.
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/26/19 01:29 AM

Ive caught a good many over 2.5lbs. My personal best is 2.78 off Mitchell in 2015. My father and father in law each have 2 over the 3 lb mark. I did catch one off the Alabama river last year after turkey hunting one morning. I didnt have a scale but my FIL swears it went over 3 but if theres no scale it doesn't count!
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/26/19 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by tombo51
Seen 2 over 3 weighed in at crappie tournament at Bankhead yesterday to bad they weren’t mine

I saw those too. those boys catch a lot of fish. If there are 3lbers in the water they will find them
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/29/19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
My dad claims he caught the state record crappie. He said his football coach used to take them camping and fishing and he caught a crappie that was huge. They weighed it then went to town to find out what the record was. He had the record beat, returned to camp to get crappie and take it to town to be certified and coach had filleted and fried her up. That's the story he tells anyway and he dont lie.

The 2 best true fish stories I know involve my dad. He had a buddy catch about a 3 pound hammer head on the alabama river about 10 miles below Montgomery (1970s). Fish is mounted and use to hang on wall of restaurant in downtown wetumpka. And My dad caught a 4 pound 15 crappie on martin. I remember it as a kid and it was legitimately that big. Caught it on a cane pole off end of pier in late Sept. Would have been world record in the springtime with roe. It burnt up in 1971 in our house fire. Was only 3 oz off the 5# 2 ounce that lasted for years until the one just caught last year in tenn.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/29/19 04:46 PM

A friends nephew just sent me a pic of a crappie he claims he caught of a bed. Said he thought it was a bass and it weighed 2.14. not 3 lbs but damn close
Posted By: rulebreaker

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/29/19 04:54 PM

I have, twice.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Who has caught a 3 pound crappie. - 03/30/19 01:33 AM

I caught one at Bear Creek on 15 April 2013 that was 19 1/2" long and weigh 4.0 pounds. Was a female and she was slap full of eggs. Biggest I ever caught by a long shot. Caught her on a minner under a cork.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM