Aldeer.com

Catapla tree

Posted By: jb20

Catapla tree - 02/16/19 05:32 PM

Just about to plant 5 anybody had experience with these or anything I should do to make grow?
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Catapla tree - 02/16/19 06:49 PM

make them grow? I never fertilized any.They make big tree. when the worms are on them the poop will be a falling. We had one by a patio and cut it down dropping were kinda bad.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Catapla tree - 02/16/19 07:24 PM

All I know is that my PawPaw had several and always painted at least three feet up white every year. He said it kept ants from eating the larva. he always had plenty of worms. If you are going to fertilize dig a coffee can size holes about 4' apart along the dropline and put about a half a can of thrip 13 in each one.
Posted By: blade

Re: Catapla tree - 02/16/19 07:25 PM

Easy to grow. Prune every year.

Re: Catapla tree - 02/16/19 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by perchjerker
All I know is that my PawPaw had several and always painted at least three feet up white every year. He said it kept ants from eating the larva. he always had plenty of worms.

He brought me these this morning said fish like em so I got em in the ground by pond now ill keep eye out for ants
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Catapla tree - 02/16/19 09:18 PM

Got Armadillo?

You will. Not necessarily a deal breaker but you have been warned.

Re: Catapla tree - 02/16/19 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by trailertrash
Got Armadillo?

You will. Not necessarily a deal breaker but you have been warned.

They r sum around why?
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Catapla tree - 02/16/19 11:01 PM

Catalpa worms burrow into the ground to become a moth. Armadillo will dig them up as a food source big time. My parents eventually poisoned all of the trees around their home due to all of the ankle twisting and lawn mower jarring holes left by the 'dillos. Out in the country, likely no big deal. In your yard, PIA!
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Catapla tree - 02/16/19 11:02 PM

Everything that's hungry will eat them worms.When they pop out,be on guard...

Re: Catapla tree - 02/16/19 11:29 PM

Ok thanks it's not in my yard but close enough I can shine it at night to kill armadillos I'll try my best to protect them worms smile
Posted By: top cat

Re: Catapla tree - 02/16/19 11:30 PM

Ain't fished with tobby worms in many years but they work great.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Catapla tree - 02/16/19 11:44 PM

Do the worms just automatically appear? Does that make sense?...I hope that ain't a stupid question.

I guess what I'm saying is I've never noticed a tree in our neighborhood, so how would the worms find my tree if I planted it?

Re: Catapla tree - 02/17/19 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by ikillbux
Do the worms just automatically appear? Does that make sense?...I hope that ain't a stupid question.

I guess what I'm saying is I've never noticed a tree in our neighborhood, so how would the worms find my tree if I planted it?

I reckon moths find tree then larve get there
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Catapla tree - 02/17/19 12:15 AM

I have 3 of them out back. My chickens like em

Re: Catapla tree - 02/17/19 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by ikillbux

Sometimes you have to “seed” the tree with worms to get them started.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Catapla tree - 02/17/19 03:11 AM

That's kinda what I was wondering.... figured it was something like JB said above, where the moths (or whatever the parents are) find the tree, or you'd have to go find some worms and introduce them to your trees. I've seen trees before that I don't recall ever seeing worms on.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Catapla tree - 02/17/19 12:17 PM

FIL cut some temporary fence posts out of them.
Had a wet spring and 5 grew roots and lasted
until they were cut to plant pines.

Re: Catapla tree - 02/17/19 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gotcha1
FIL cut some temporary fence posts out of them.
Had a wet spring and 5 grew roots and lasted
until they were cut to plant pines.

Yeah, they are easy to grow. U can just take a cutting and it will root.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Catapla tree - 02/19/19 06:10 PM

Just plant away from trees were there are no other roots. Expect them to grow 20 or 30 feet tall over time plant accordingly. Great bream or catfish bait pinch in half for large worms. Great bait certain times of year sometimes one half of worm will catch 5 or 6 fish.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM