Aldeer.com

Honda outboards

Posted By: tombo51

Honda outboards - 01/26/19 01:50 PM

Anyone have any experience with them, we’re looking at buying a pontoon boat with one on it just don’t know much about them I’ve always been a mercury or yamaha guy
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Honda outboards - 01/26/19 03:06 PM

I would trust one before anything else. I had a little 25 that never needed a thing for 15 years. I sold it a couple years ago and it's still doing great. Only drawback may be weight but wouldn't matter on a pontoon.
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Honda outboards - 01/26/19 04:57 PM

I was told to avoid Suzuki and Honda motors. They are way behind in the technology curve. I may be shopping for a 115 4 stroke. My knowlegeable friend said to stick with Yamaha or Mercury.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Honda outboards - 01/26/19 05:02 PM

Only problem with Hondas... Who works on them? I obviously don't know all the marinas or boat mechanics around but the ones that I do know don't have any Honda signs hanging anywhere.

TN, You might want to do a little more research before you drop from a 130 2 stroke to a 115 4 stroke. You're gonna lose a decent amount of performance. If I keep my Xpress long enough, I'm going to repower it, but I'm going up to a 130-4 from a 115-2.
Posted By: klay

Re: Honda outboards - 01/26/19 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by TexasNative
I was told to avoid Suzuki and Honda motors. They are way behind in the technology curve. I may be shopping for a 115 4 stroke. My knowlegeable friend said to stick with Yamaha or Mercury.

The only problem , in my opinion, with either is parts availability around here. What year honda? The carburetated ones are finicky and a pain to work on. The newer ones are better. I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a boat I liked, but if I was being picky, I would get a yamaha or mercury.
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Honda outboards - 01/26/19 05:07 PM

They are HEAVY for the HP versus other motors. I have a friend that has one on a pontoon and I know the original owner. It has been flawless. I would not hesitate to buy one if I knew the hours. They are the original 4 stroke outboard makers.
Posted By: hayman

Re: Honda outboards - 01/26/19 05:09 PM

I had a 2004-5 can’t remember exact year Honda 130 hp four stroke. When I sold it it had 260 hrs and all I ever did to it was change the spark plugs and oil and filter. I can’t think of anything bad to say about it really.
Posted By: tombo51

Re: Honda outboards - 01/26/19 05:57 PM

It’s a new one 2018 model
Posted By: Luxfisher

Re: Honda outboards - 01/26/19 06:06 PM

New 4 strokes performance is on par with older 2strokes with carburetor,jets in carb.are only difference in 115 & 130 Yamaha 2stroke about 2mph.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Honda outboards - 01/27/19 12:20 AM

My experience with hondas is good..suzukis too... Good motors.

Re: Honda outboards - 01/27/19 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Only problem with Hondas... Who works on them? I obviously don't know all the marinas or boat mechanics around but the ones that I do know don't have any Honda signs hanging anywhere.

TN, You might want to do a little more research before you drop from a 130 2 stroke to a 115 4 stroke. You're gonna lose a decent amount of performance. If I keep my Xpress long enough, I'm going to repower it, but I'm going up to a 130-4 from a 115-2.

My concern is the extra weight. My tug boat is rated 130 max. I don't know if it can handle the weight of a 130 4 stroke. I just need someone who is smarter than me to say I can do it.

Re: Honda outboards - 01/27/19 11:44 AM

Research weight differences between new 4 strokes and 2 strokes before they stopped making them not much difference. EFI on 4 strokes helps alot with power. Talk to a Yamaha dealer about the difference between a 115 & 130, both are the same block just bigger jets in carburetor.
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Honda outboards - 01/27/19 02:15 PM

That is one issue on older boats is the weight of a 4 versus a 2 stroke. Same HP ratings but heavier for the 4 stroke. My pontoon is rated for a 115 motor, but no way in hell would I put a 115 4 stroke on it because of the weight.

Re: Honda outboards - 01/27/19 03:00 PM

If your knowledgeable friend made that suggestion for any reason other than service availability, he isn't as knowledgeable as you think.

Re: Honda outboards - 01/27/19 03:26 PM

New Yamaha 4stroke 377lbs old 2 stroke 355lbs Merc.proxs 362lbs.

Re: Honda outboards - 01/27/19 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

If your knowledgeable friend made that suggestion for any reason other than service availability, he isn't as knowledgeable as you think.

If you knew who he was, you would respect his opinion as well.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Honda outboards - 01/27/19 05:46 PM

I have heard good things about Suzuki and Honda. The Hondas are pretty cost prohibitive though. I have a Merc 4 stroke that is 3 years old with zero problems for what its worth.

Re: Honda outboards - 01/27/19 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

If you knew who he was, you would respect his opinion as well.

He may have recommended the others because he thinks they are just as good for the money. No offense intended. I just meant that if he thinks the Suzuki and Honda aren't great motors,then he is mistaken.
Posted By: dnolen

Re: Honda outboards - 02/01/19 05:48 AM

I have a buddy that has one. He has a light on the dash to let him know it running. Super quiet. Make sure you have a shop nearby that can work on them. He popped a head and was off the water for nearly a year waiting on a head from Honda. It is like the rest of them. It ran good until it quit. Lol
Posted By: bama1971

Re: Honda outboards - 02/01/19 01:58 PM

we have a 2018 Honda 150 on a 22' pontoon triton.

it runs great and is super quiet. I have accidentally tried to crank it while its on several times.

last boat had a 150 Yamaha on it, it ran fine too.

Throttle on the Honda takes a little getting used to, shaped different. Feels like you're flying an airplane or something
© 2024 ALDEER.COM