Aldeer.com

High School tourney Pickwick

Posted By: Chad Burnette

High School tourney Pickwick - 12/16/18 02:36 AM

https://www.facebook.com/100000153966717/posts/2480875088594266/

Our Selma tournament was cancelled. Glad it was. This could of been a really bad Christmas for some families. Scary stuff when that river is rolling like that

Chad
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: High School tourney Pickwick - 12/16/18 03:27 AM

Scary stuff there prayers for all involved
Posted By: wareaglewill

Re: High School tourney Pickwick - 12/17/18 04:15 AM

im on the same fishing team as the people who were in the boat they are ok just a total loss of gear and boat. could have been much worse we had just passed them going back towards dam when they capsized.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: High School tourney Pickwick - 12/17/18 04:25 AM

It's truly amazing that to my knowledge there are not several deaths a year in highschool fishing. It has to be terribly dangerous, too many boats inexperienced anglers and boat drivers on unfamiliar lakes.
Posted By: klay

Re: High School tourney Pickwick - 12/17/18 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
It's truly amazing that to my knowledge there are not several deaths a year in highschool fishing. It has to be terribly dangerous, too many boats inexperienced anglers and boat drivers on unfamiliar lakes.

The boat drivers are adults that aren't allowed to fish, or at least it was this way. I had a cousin that fished them and I captained a few times. Had to be over 18 or 21, can't remember, and have proof of license and insurance.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: High School tourney Pickwick - 12/18/18 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by klay

The boat drivers are adults that aren't allowed to fish, or at least it was this way. I had a cousin that fished them and I captained a few times. Had to be over 18 or 21, can't remember, and have proof of license and insurance.

Yes but he has kids with him in freezing waters. Lots of the adults dont know the lakes they are on, just show up and haul arse and some have hardly ever operated boats but got one cause kid wanted to participate in something they can call a sport. Its one thing of an adult gets killed but now we put kids in the boat with them. At least remove blast off and let boats start where they like 30 minutes after daybreak. Someone is making a fortune off highschool fishing just not sure who yet
Posted By: klay

Re: High School tourney Pickwick - 12/18/18 01:36 PM

Yes but he has kids with him in freezing waters. Lots of the adults dont know the lakes they are on, just show up and haul arse and some have hardly ever operated boats but got one cause kid wanted to participate in something they can call a sport. Its one thing of an adult gets killed but now we put kids in the boat with them. At least remove blast off and let boats start where they like 30 minutes after daybreak. Someone is making a fortune off highschool fishing just not sure who yet

You are absolutely correct on some of them knowing nothing about boats. Didn't really think it through. You saying that made me think of several boats I've sold because their kids wanted to fish high school tournaments and they had never owned one.
Posted By: William

Re: High School tourney Pickwick - 12/18/18 02:06 PM

You are absolutely correct on some of them knowing nothing about boats. Didn't really think it through. You saying that made me think of several boats I've sold because their kids wanted to fish high school tournaments and they had never owned one.

We've had a couple of high school kids join my bass club over the last several years. In two cases, the parents bought their 16 yr old a 21ft bass boat with a 225 on the back of it. More money than sense.
Posted By: dnolen

Re: High School tourney Pickwick - 12/25/18 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by William

We've had a couple of high school kids join my bass club over the last several years. In two cases, the parents bought their 16 yr old a 21ft bass boat with a 225 on the back of it. More money than sense.

We had a 15yr. Old in our club. His grandfather bought him a new 21ft. Skeeter with a 250 black on his 15th birthday. They lived about 3 miles from the ramp so the kid would pull the boat to the ramp and take off. He decided to fish a fruit jar one night. He ran into a 180 turn at about 70 in front of 20 boats. Luckily everyone missed them. One of the older guys in the club bumped up to his boat and drove it back to the ramp and called his grandfather to come get them.
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: High School tourney Pickwick - 12/25/18 06:15 PM

My daughter fished them for the last 3 years. She has done pretty well at most but weve struggled at places. In all it was some of the funniest days and also some miserable ones. She graduated in may from Oxford and received several scholarships to fish. Most of her college for the next 4 years will be paid for through fishing. She may never make it to be a pro but she’s competing and there paying for it!
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: High School tourney Pickwick - 12/25/18 06:47 PM

That’s awesome mackdaddy
Posted By: Chad Burnette

Re: High School tourney Pickwick - 12/25/18 07:19 PM

That’s cool, mine has done well in some small tournaments. She’s still learning and has several interests. Don’t know where this adventure is taking us yet. She training a dog right now too.

Chad
© 2024 ALDEER.COM