Aldeer.com

Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod

Posted By: IDOT

Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 01:49 AM

Who makes the most sensitive and reasonably priced crappie rod? Between 6' to 7' seems to be the length that fits me best.

AC, that Pflueger Trion reel was on point. I really like it for the price and it's a smooth winding little booger.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 02:02 AM

I’m not too far away from having 575 dozen rods. My favorite all around rod is a 7’ Lew’s Wally Marshall signature series. $49.99 from Academy but the store in Gadsden is out of them. I will get the model # and post it. I don’t know that it’s the most sensitive rod out there for the money but it is sensitive. It has a fast tip, which is awful nice for throwing 1/32 ounce jigs.

One thing that I have done to get a better feel for the often very subtle crappie bite is to switch to braid. I’m using Fireline and Power Pro. Works best with a mono leader and a light drag. Drag needs to slip a little on the hook set.

I have a Trion, it is a super smooth reel. I think the President has a better drag system but I could be wrong about that. All I know Is I shoulda had my butt kicked for not buying more Presidents on Black Friday of 2017. Bass pro has them for $25 each.

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 02:05 AM

Hmmm, I'll try the power pro with a leader. I'm guessing you spool up with pp and then put about 10ft of mono on it?

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 02:07 AM

WMS 701. Light action Moderate 1/64-1/14 ounce, 2-10 line.

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by IDOT
Hmmm, I'll try the power pro with a leader. I'm guessing you spool up with pp and then put about 10ft of mono on it?

About 2 feet of mono. Just enough to keep the hook from fouling in the braided line. That’s a PITA

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 02:13 AM

Alright....those wally marshalls have potential. TY sir!

http://www.mrcrappie.com/products/Lews/wally-marshall-signature-series-rods.php
Posted By: tombo51

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 03:03 AM

I’ve been throwing a 6 1/2 fenwick eagle light action with a fast tip for the last couple years really a nice sensitive rod for the money Simmons in Bessemer runs them on sale pretty regularly for 49.99 sometimes cheaper
Posted By: HOYT3006

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 03:32 AM

G loomis IMX SJR781

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by HOYT3006
G loomis IMX SJR781

God dawg...$260 for a crappie rod, just the rod? shocked
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 04:01 AM

G loomis IMX SJR781

That's chump change for a salesmaster like you. grin You should get 5 or 6. Don't forget to pick up a 6 pack of Shimano Stellas to go with them.

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 04:09 AM

I have a few of the 7’ wally marshalls also. The loomis is lighter and more sensitive but a lot more expensive. I have a gracious wife that bought mine for me.

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by metalmuncher
G loomis IMX SJR781

That's chump change for a salesmaster like you. grin You should get 5 or 6. Don't forget to pick up a 6 pack of Shimano Stellas to go with them.

Now that you mention it, even those Wally Marshall rods are out of my range grin

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 04:20 AM

The thing I think that helps with sensitivity on any rod is having enough guides. The cheaper built rods have fewer guides.
Posted By: hayman

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 12:37 PM

I have a 6’ BnM that I really like. I have tried several different types of rods but For the money and the way I fish I always seem to return to BnM. Those Wally Marshall rods look pretty nice but I have no experience with them.
Posted By: Heath

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 02:26 PM

St Croix Panfish, PFS70LXF. It's pricey for a crappie rod but it's the best money I have spent on crappie fishing. The extra fast tip really lets you cast the small jigs far and you can whip the tip for shooting piers. I have mine paired with a Pflueger President.

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 02:50 PM

Heath, does that rod have any backbone? I'd like to try a higher quality rod, but I detest any rod that moves all the way to the handle when whipping it back and forth.

The ones I'm reading about that people rave over are JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) rods. They get real pricey.

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
I detest any rod that moves all the way to the handle when whipping it back and forth.

That's what she said grin
Posted By: Heath

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Heath, does that rod have any backbone? I'd like to try a higher quality rod, but I detest any rod that moves all the way to the handle when whipping it back and forth.

The ones I'm reading about that people rave over are JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) rods. They get real pricey.

Plenty of backbone. It's probably a true rated light action. It's definitely not all the way to the handle which is what I imagine an ultralight action would be on this rod. It's got enough backbone that I have handled 3+ stripe, spots, and hybrid on it.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 09:28 PM

Go on and get you a g loomis. You can feel them looking at it.

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Go on and get you a g loomis. You can feel them looking at it.

I need one that can look at em and find em
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/05/18 11:47 PM

Me and my boy got us a couple of g loomis shakeyhead rods. They definately made a difference. We have caught atleast twice as many fish shakeyhead fishing. I would assume their crappie rods would be the same.
Posted By: blade

Re: Most Sensitive 6 or 7ft Crappie Rod - 12/06/18 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Heath
St Croix Panfish, PFS70LXF. It's pricey for a crappie rod but it's the best money I have spent on crappie fishing. The extra fast tip really lets you cast the small jigs far and you can whip the tip for shooting piers. I have mine paired with a Pflueger President.

I have one of these. Caught an 8 pound drum on it. Good rod.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM